which raga?

Rāga related discussions
arunk

Post by arunk »

Which raga has the following structure:

S G2 M1 P N3 S
S' N3 P M1 G2 S

(i.e. like suddhadhanyasi but with kakali nishadam instead of kaisiki)

Thanks
Arun

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Is it Veenadhari??..not really sure.

Sarma.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Anandavalli and saudhAmini (both in mELA 57) have the svarAs you have indicated.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Can't be mela 57! M1 indicates shuddha madhyama.

Possibly Shrotasvini?
Last edited by jayaram on 14 Dec 2006, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

i have no idea. It seems to fit part of a (relatively old) movie song that I like :).

Actually I think it could be (but first line of the song doesnt seem to include R2 - although i could be wrong)

S R2 G2 M1 P N3 S'
S' N3 P M1 G2 R2 S

I couldnt find a match for that structure either. I find both structures to have an attractive feel. The P-N3 combination in the uttaranga, along with G2 in the poorvanga, seem to work some sort of a magic giving a nice, haunting feeling :)

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 15 Dec 2006, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

kalgada78 wrote:Is it Veenadhari??..not really sure.

Sarma.
Veenadhari is Upaanaga Janya of Chakravaaka SRGPNS-SNPGRS

Yesudas renders Dikshitar's Sri Ganesthapataram in Veenadhari instead of Ardhradesi(SSP)

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

The rAga is udayaravicaNdrikA.

Scroll to about the middle of the following thread:

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=145&p=5

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks Ashwin!

I see on that topic there is a lecdem from SRJ on this raga (i presume it will highlight N3 here vs N2 in suddha-dhanyasi) but the link doesnt work anymore. Can someone pl. upload it?

Thanks
Arun

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Lec dem is available on sangeetha priya site

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks suji

Arun

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Here is the lecdem from the original rasikas.org thread (different than the one on sangeethapriya)

http://rapidshare.com/files/7522322/uda ... a.mp3.html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arun,
Time to reveal the (relatively) old film song...
And I am sure DRS will set us all right on the appropriate rAga used!

arunk

Post by arunk »

:)

Ok. It is not that old, but then my generation is getting old and so ... ;)

The song is pAdum vAnambADi - a iLayarAja classic from nAn pADum pAdal (1984). I have heard people claim various ragas for it (peelu, gowrimanohari !?1) etc.. I never quite could see that and I had always wondered what raga (if any) it is in. For some reason this lovely song has been in my head today and so I have been trying to pick it part.

Unless I am mistaken (which includes figuring out shadjam not always easy in film songs) I think it is udayaravichandrikA for the first couple of lines (pAdum vAnambAdi, mArgazhi mAdamO, pArvaigaL IramO ...), but on the following EnO! EnO , i believe R2 makes an entrance. After that the music interlude etc. R2 I believe figures. (i.e. S R2 G2 M1 P N3 S').

But during a subsequent musical interlude the later on raga changes. I am not 100% sure what that is (again problem figuring shadjam there!) but this raga is there during most of the subsequent paras until at the tail-end it goes back to the original raga.

For this other raga, assuming shadjam shifts to (the original) G2, it then has notes of kalyANi. But again not 100% sure.

So it looks S R2 G3 M1 P N3 S' (although more like S G3 M1 P N3 S initially), going over to kalyAni with a sruthi-bedham to G2.

You can listen to this gem at: http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/YUv ... As1NMvHdW/

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 15 Dec 2006, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Arun
2 other songs in the rAga (whichever that be;)

manasE baduku ninagAgi- a moving and lovely song from amrutavarshini by SPB

http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Movie ... Manase.ram

And "muttu muttutErOTTam" from ANivEr by Vani Jayaram

http://www.rogepost.com/n/8429778493

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks drs. Its interesting that these two are indeed quite similar that i think safe to they are the same raga in the parts I have listened. I have to give a more thorough listen, but they both start off like S G2 M1 P N3 S', but then introduce D2 (right?) in somewhat similar context.

If i am not mistaken pADUm vAnambAdi doesnt use D2 (atleast in the part with the udayachandrika like scale). So similar to these but different.

But all of them are lovely songs (and i have heard the ANivEr song before - that is a blast from the past :)!). I love the effect of N3 with the mood set by G2!

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

As i was contemplating on the scale of udayaravicandrika, i thought of one more excellent iLayarAjA song: O vasantha rAjA from nIngaL kETTavai (again 1984): http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/0qv ... As1NMvHdW/

Again like typical film songs one could say these are "based on" the raga.

On a side note: I like how iLayarAja uses "tiny snippets" of mridangam at the end of lines/phrases, using the nAdam of the instrument to great effect. You see it in this song e.g. when they sing the "pallavi" after first para. You also find it in pADum vAnambADi during first musical interlude - where different sound from mridangam is used to match (or perhaps counter) different end notes for 2 successive lines/phrases.

Apologies for too much details on film songs on this forum! Although that one thread on ragas in film songs on sangeetham.com was a joy, the thread was sort of like walled garden and so people didnt mind :)

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

jayaram wrote:Can't be mela 57! M1 indicates shuddha madhyama.

Possibly Shrotasvini?
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the raga for "O vasantha raja" was something that now seems to be "vaguely similar" to this one (talk about being vague :)!). But i cant find that reference.

Arun

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

Thanks Kiran!
There is another film song recently: "Rara Sarasaku Rara" from Chandramukhi.
Ofcourse,it has Hamsanandi also.
Sarma.

christom

Re:

Post by christom »

kiransurya wrote: 15 Dec 2006, 04:09
kalgada78 wrote:Is it Veenadhari??..not really sure.

Sarma.
Veenadhari is Upaanaga Janya of Chakravaaka SRGPNS-SNPGRS

Yesudas renders Dikshitar's Sri Ganesthapataram in Veenadhari instead of Ardhradesi(SSP)
Do you have the link to this performance(Yesudas Sri Ganesthapataram)?