LATHANGI

Rāga related discussions
vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

dear CM devotees
Please view and listen to one of my creations in Lathangi and get back with ur views.
linkref:
http://www.karnatik.com/c3478.shtml
Ramaraj

kaashyab

Post by kaashyab »

hello everybody i am a new user i want to know where i can get individual raga audio notations for the whole ragas pls help......... thanks

mohan

Post by mohan »

kaashyab wrote:hello everybody i am a new user i want to know where i can get individual raga audio notations for the whole ragas pls help......... thanks
I am not sure what you are after?

Raga alapanas are improvised and are not notated.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Possible, who knows :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Actually I have seen some artiste keep glancing at their notes during the alapana... not exactly sure what was going on, but may be something along the lines of what arasi is suggesting

arasi

Post by arasi »

Then again, if they could translate swarAs into AlApanA that quickly by a mere glance at the notes, they certainly have enough knowledge to sing an AlApanA on their own!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Some raga lakshana books do give a jist of ragAlApana swaras-
I have one.
Never heard of audio notations
Last edited by Suji Ram on 09 Jul 2007, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

kaashyab wrote:hello everybody i am a new user i want to know where i can get individual raga audio notations for the whole ragas pls help......... thanks
Sri Neyveli Santhanagopalan has done short sketches of about 75 ragams through a CD called MP3 CD titled "Introducing Ragas through Pallavis". Sri Neyveli Santhanagopalan has sung a short alapana in each of these ragas followed by a pallavi with the raga name embedded. This is followed by swaras. It is available in Sangeethapriya http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~sridhara ... u-pallavi/

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suji,
Yes, books may contain swarAs of the rAgAs, combinations of swarAs which are the rAgA's life notes. I am merely saying, isn't it like taking your text book to the exam hall when you take the'crib notes' to the concert hall??

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Arasi,
These days some exams are open book at least in US..in fact Prof's notes are sometimes enough to pass exams... :)
Hope that doesn't become the norm in kutcheries

arasi

Post by arasi »

Absolutely!
A word of caution, though. There are folks out there who think learning is a cinch in the US. It is different, yes-- but of a different quality. Hope 'open book' tests are not taken to be a breeze. Still, on the concert stage, open books are not very appealing...

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I would rather allow open books than have artiste goof up the lyrics, mumble under their breath etc. I have noticed that Sudha Raghunathan and her students unabashedly use their notebooks and I find nothing wrong with it at all.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah, now you put me in a spot! To have perfect sAhityam or not...that's ALSO the question (Sigh). Well, if they HAVE to open a note book, let them limit it to that one new song. My question is, if the song is new to them, don't they have to pay attention to the song's other aspects too, like phrasing, smooth transition etc? If they concentrate only on words, can they sing wholeheartedly as they normally would?
Last edited by arasi on 10 Jul 2007, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

shishya

Post by shishya »

I have seen some musicians refer to muktayis while rendering swara kalpana. I myself use a notebook to make sure I sing the caranams in the right order for say a swarajathi of syama sastry. Other than that if I am not comfortable with the words and meaning, I will wait until the next occassion to perform.

Regarding using notations for raga alanapana: I am not sure if any are available online, but my guru used to make me repeat alapana in class, record it and then ask me to write notation for it at home before I start practicing. Using these notations was allowed for practice but not listening to the tape. The point was to get the jist of the raga as you notate but use your own imagination as you reconstitute the raga.
I just started using this mehtod with one of my students.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

One place you can hear notated AlApana is listening to Chembai Vaidhyanatha Bhagavathar. Esp. when he starts giving lessons to the accompanying violinist.....I love that. His kalpanaswara rendering is so nice to listen and learn.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

Could some1 who downloaded the DR.M.Balamuralikrishna composition, tAmralOchanI in this rAga, pls provide a link now. It'd be a gr8 help.

SaiVainika

Re: LATHANGI

Post by SaiVainika »

Hi everyone! I happened to stumble upon this thread. Quite a co-incidence that I recently recorded myself playing the varnam Sri Kumara Sodaram on veena and am currently uploading the same on YouTube. Will post a link when I am done. Regarding the composer, I had learnt it from my teacher, Smt. T.R.Balamani. The notation says that the composer is Mysore Vasudevachar. Saipriya

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I should point out that in the books Varnasagaram by T.K.Govinda Rao and Tana Varna Tarangini by B.M.Sundaram the name of the composer is not mentioned.

SivaniVSPG24

Post by SivaniVSPG24 »

Lyrics of nemamutho which is the composition of thiruvottiyur tyagayyar in adi talam.

Pallavi : Nemamutho nee padamulaku |
neranammithi sri krishna||

Anupallavi : Samaja Varada yani ninnepudu
Santhoshamutho talachi talachi

Chittaswaram : pa ma ga ri sa ri,,, sa,, ma ga ri sa ri,,|,sa, ga ri sa ri,,, sa,, ri sa ri,,,|sa,,, ri,, ga,, sa ri sa ga,, ma,, ri ga| ri da,,,,, ma,,,,, ga,,,,,| ri ga ma pa ma ga ma ri ga ma,, ga ma pa da pa| ma pa ga ma pa,, ma pa da ni da pa da ma da ni,|,, ga ri,, sa ni da ni,,, da ni ri sa,,|ni da pa da,,, ma pa da ni sa ni,, da pa ma||

Charanam: Komalamaina nee padamulanu
Koniyaduvari manamulandu
Emaraka undu vanuchu
Enchudu gopala dasa nutha|
Chittaswaram should be repeated again here.

nAdopAsaka

Post by nAdopAsaka »

chaste rendition of Nemamutho on veena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-djOIw7wdgo

Prof. SRJ's outline of Lathangi (already linked in an older post on this thread) is valuable too..