Shanmukhapriya & Simhendramadhyama

Rāga related discussions
Rsachi

Shanmukhapriya & Simhendramadhyama

Post by Rsachi »

Dear rasikas,
I hear both Shanmukhapriya and Simhendramadhyama every so often in concerts these days. They always come up -through brisk songs or elaborate RTPs. In fact I can't think of a concert I heard recently when either raga didn't feature.

But the surprising thing for me is that it seems these two ragas found not much favour with the Trinity really. From a list I refer to, here is the count:
Shanmukhapriya; Shyama Shastri =0, Thyagaraja =1, Dikshitar (=Camaram)= 4
Simhendramadhyama: Shyama Shastri=0, Thyagaraja =0, Dikshitar=4

I had once heard an opinion of Semmangudi that the pratimadhyama ragas were considered inferior in classical times.

So can someone kindly elaborate on the history of these ragas and when they gained their great popularity? I know both Papanasam Sivan and Mysore Vasudevachar composed a few more krithis in these two ragas than the Trinity had done.

Thanks
sachi

alpajnani

Re: Shanmukhapriya & Simhendramadhyama

Post by alpajnani »

Isn't nata jana paripala (simhendramadhyama) by Thyagaraja?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

It's listed as doubtful of Thyagaraja's authorship. Not Found also in The Spiritual Heritage of Thyagaraja.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rsachi wrote: I had once heard an opinion of Semmangudi that the pratimadhyama ragas were considered inferior in classical times.
rsachi
There was a long time back a nice discussion some where about M1 vs M2 ragas . I recollect vaguely that thread with DRS giving a lot of opinion , sorry cannot search that thread just lost now in this forest . I think M1 has more gamaka oscillations vs M2 and hence musicians have avoided it and generally stick with just one M2 raga

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

I am shocked by the lack of shanmukhapriyA compositions by Tyagaraja. Shyama Sastry compositions represent a smaller sample size, so it is difficult to frame an argument around his contributions. But T's followers including Patnam have big shanmukhapriya pieces.
Rsachi wrote:It's listed as doubtful of Thyagaraja's authorship. Not Found also in The Spiritual Heritage of Thyagaraja.
We could add nIdhu charaNamulE to this list of doubtfuls as well.

I don't think the pratimadhyama "inferiority" or "dosha" could be the only reason...kalyAni, kAmavardhini, latAngi, hemavati and even nAsikAbhushani all have such excellent compositions by more than one member of the trinity.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Precisely.

Ashok Madhav's talk in KGS stated KV Srinivasa Iyengar composed Natajana and Needucharanamule under Thyagaraja's mudra.

Patnam: One (Marivere) in Shanmukhapriya, and none in Simhendramadhyama?

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Interesting bit about nIdu. Shri TKGovindarao's book does list and publish it in the compositions. Is there any other source that can attest to the creator of this composition?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

tanapp

Post by tanapp »

Thanks a lot RSachi. TKG's book is good albeit with errors. This one definitely goes beyond typos in sahityam or swaram.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Tamil Cinema had avidly espoused Shanmukapriya and SM to some extent.
Especially Shanmukapriya is a favourite of Nadaswara Vidwans who always play it in
Marriages and particularly during Shanti muhurtam..
Generally I have heard CM has a M1 bias and HM a M2 bias...

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

CMLover; I had once heard that Nadaswara Vidwans preferred Prathi Madyama ragas because the instrument did not lend itself to geting the Suddha Madhyamam correctly(Pisuru adikkum was the expression used by the person who told me this). TNR I believe by experimenting with closing one of the holes partially with wax got the Suddha Madhyamam right--that is the reason he excelled in ragas like Bhairavi,Kambodhi,Todi etc etc.

There does not seem to be any overt reason for the absence of compositions by the trinity(except the krithis mentioned earlier). The Dhanammal School(T Viswa) used to sing the song Vaddha Ninne(Shanmukhapriya)--I may have gotten the lyrics wrong-. Ofcourse MD's Siddhi Vinayakam(Shanmukhapriya) stands out for its melody.

In film music,Kurangilu Pirandadu Manithan(Shanmukhapriya in the movie Thookku Thookki.Marainirundu Parkkum Marmam enna(Thillana Mohanambal),Ellam Inbayam(Simhendra Madhyamam in Manamagal),Siruppu Than Varuguthayya( second stranzathe lyrics Nane Sakalam enru Nadagam Aduvar in Simhendramadhyamam,MSS's Ika Para Sukham(I think in Sevasadanam)--I am sure there are more recent songs in these 2 ragas.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

"nathajana paripala" appears in 108 Krithis of Thyagaraja( Devanagari Script) by CS Ayyar, (Forward by Musiri) publ in 19 55;
whwreas this song is not listed in "Shatha Kirthana Swaravali " by CS Krishna Swamayya ( Priya Shishyudu of Patnam )Publ in 1911 .

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

MKR wrote:
The Dhanammal School(T Viswa) used to sing the song Vaddha Ninne(Shanmukhapriya)
Only Viswa used to sing this song of Thyagaraja, which is his only composition in Shanmukapriya. It is 'vaddanE vAru lEru'. From where he got it, I don't know. B-M did not sing this song.

Of Dikshitar the better song in Shanmukapriya is the Abhayamba song, 'sadAshrayE abhayAmbikE'.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

RaviSri wrote:
Only Viswa used to sing this song of Thyagaraja, which is his only composition in Shanmukapriya. It is 'vaddanE vAru lEru'. From where he got it, I don't know..
This song is available in the above mentioned book by CS Ayyar.

I have heard Santhanam singing this song.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Manjunath
Is there a recording of santhanam singing vaddanE vAru, not heard that yet?

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Vaguely remember must be in Podhigai or may be in a live concert.
So many audio tracks of Santhanam are available commercially/Sangeethapriya. Although I am his fan I don't have ref to this particular track.

I am sure some rasika will respond to your request

varsha

Post by varsha »

Only Viswa used to sing this song of Thyagaraja, which is his only composition in Shanmukapriya. It is 'vaddanE vAru lEru'.
Will versions by TRS , Ranjini Hebbar , Balamurali , Alathur srinivasa iyer help . i can upload

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Pl u/l Alathur & TRS renderings.Thanks in advance.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Few years back, I had opened a thread reg. Janyas of Shanmukapriya. Interested rasikas may pl see.......
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1230

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Will versions by TRS , Ranjini Hebbar , Balamurali , Alathur srinivasa iyer help . i can upload
If you have Balamurali's version please upload. He has learnt it from the Thillaistanam book. I have heard Santanam sing this song many times though.

varsha

Post by varsha »

will do it on saturday .

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

RaviSri-Curious to know my above mentioned CS Ayyar....to which Thyagaraja school he belongs ?

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

C.S.Iyer was a disciple of T.S.Sabesha Iyer who was a disciple of Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer who in turn was a disciple of Manambuchavadi Venkatasubbayyar, cousin and disciple of Thyagaraja.

I hope everyone knows that C.S.Iyer was the elder brother of scientist C.V.Raman and father of Physicist S.Chandrashekar and vainika Vidya Shankar.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Varsha,

Thank you! What a treat for deepAvaLi!

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I should also point out that there is a violin rendition of Vaddane varu in Shanmukhapriya by LGJ.

RaviSri

Post by RaviSri »

Thanks for the recordings.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Balamurali's "Omkara.Pranava..Nadodbhava Shruthi..laya...." in Shanmukhapriya is quite an enjoyable and masterly varnam with excellent lyrics describing the sacred "Pranava " Manthram .

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Ranjani Hebbar's version is her guru Smt. Sowmya's padantharam, passed down from her father's guru Dindigul SP Natarajan. Smt. Sowmya has sung this as main item in several concerts.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

SP Natarajan served in AIR,Bangalore as a fllutist.......have seen him in AIR on many occasions !

bhaskan

Simhendramadhyama - Notation for Natajana Paripalakana

Post by bhaskan »

Dear Sirs

Please anyone share notations for Natajana paripalakana nannu brovave.

My mail ID: nbhask@gmail.com

Regards and Thank You

Bhaskaran Mumbai

RSR

Post by RSR »

I would like to add the following very nice songs in Shanmgapriya. 1) Most popular N.C.Vsanthakokilam, 'thanthai thaay irundhal ' ) fine example of 'nindha sthuthi'.
https://sites.google.com/site/ncvasanth ... nmukapriya
--------------------------------------------------
2) one stanza beginning with 'pAl vadiyum vadhanam , athile neelakkuru Nayanam' in 'sollu kuzhanthay' song by Smt MS in Savithri film.
------------------------------------------------
3) thavamum palitthathamma by Smt. MS first of three stanzas
---------------------------------------------
4) fourth of six stanzas of 'vadavaraiyai ' classic by Smt.MS
------------------------------------------------------------------------

RSR

Post by RSR »

Just sharing a nice writeup by Charulata Mani in The Hindu on Simmendrra Madhyamam.
=============================================================================
"In Carnatic music, “Kamakshi Kamakoti,” “Pamarajana” and “Neelachala Natham” are Dikshitar's brilliant creations in this scale.
Other popular kritis include “Needu Charanamule” attributed to Thyagaraja,
“Nata Jana Paripalaka,” “Unnaiyallal” of Koteeswara Iyer,
“Ikaparam ennum” of Papanasam Sivan,
“Ninne Nammiti” of Mysore Vasudevachar and
“Rama Rama” of Swati Tirunal.
Singers like N. C. Vasantakokilam and M.S. Subbulakshmi, possessing high-pitched and sweet voices, sang many of these songs and made them super hits in their day. One such masterpiece in this raga that my octogenarian grandmother often hums is Suddhananda Bharati's “Kanneduthagilum .”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guha Saravanabhava” – the anupallavi of the song “Ikaparam ennum,” of Papanasam Sivan – gave a flying start to a super-hit in the film “Seva Sadanam” starring M. S. It was an exercise in excellence - the music, the orchestration and the singing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KaNNedutthaakilum --- here
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... m-paareero
-----------------------------------------
May I request the audio for very much reputed song rendition by N.C.Vsanthakokilam of Koteeswara Iyer ' unnaiyallaal '