Desh

Rāga related discussions
mantra

Post by mantra »

This is a raaga that is very moving. I have heard LGJ's tillana in this raaga, Raama Naamame by Tanjavur Sankar Iyer. I have a snippet sung by Neyveli in this raaga ( the words Desathay Nesippai maname Bharatha Desathay Nesippai)
Has someone elaborated this beautiful raaga? Any RTP in this one?
Regards
Shyam

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Doesn't MSS sing 'harI mein thO lAK yathan kar hArI' in dhEsh? It is far and out my favorite mIrA Bajan.
Ravi

mantra

Post by mantra »

neyveli desh raaga with the words Desathay Nesippai maname Bharatha Desathay Nesippai)
http://rapidshare.de/files/11393730/Desh.mp3.html

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I distinctly remember we discussed Desh earlier. Not sure what happened to that thread!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

One of my all-time favorites in this rAg is a movie song rendered by S. Rajeshwari: 'thunbam nErgayil yAzh eduththu nI yamakkinbam shErka mAttAyA, kaNNE?' by Bharatidasan.
CML/DRS, do you know which movie this is from, and the actors it is pictured on?
Thanks.
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

shankar,

movie Or Iravu

film written by Anna, directed by Pa.Neelakantan and produced by A.V.Meyyappan. The film was a family drama exposing inequalities in society, K.R. Ramasami, T.K. Shanmugam, leading Telugu film star A. Nageswara

-if i remember correct this movie was mentioned/discussed -desh thread, i guess we lost that thread too :(

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Are there any classical compositions in Desh. I know that trinity hasnt composed any in this raagam. What about post trinity composers like Sri Papanasan Sivan and others.
Could anyone possibly post some more audio...
Thank you

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Revived the old Desh thread... was lucky to locate it.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hi
Can someone post me Nanda nandana and Raama naamame in Desh for me from the old thread. I missed them both from the old thread
Thanks in advance
Kiran

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kiran,
Here is Chembai's 'nandh nadhanA' posted by our own Chembai...
http://rapidshare.de/files/11522133/nan ... _.mp3.html
Kulkarni sa'ab,
<i almost thought chembai would break-at the end of the alapana- into the song dukh ke..of saigal>
I read your reaction to this song in the old thread just yesterday, and was finally able to comprehend what you meant! (SLOW on the uptake!): I agree, after his AlAp you expect to hear something like a dhrupad in dEsh, and not what he sings.
And talking of dhrupads (this is for Kiran): this is another track that was posted in the older thread: TRS explians that rAma nAmamE was composed in that style and sings it as a dhrupad:
http://rapidshare.de/files/11522709/rAm ... _.mp3.html
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hi Ravi
Thank you. There is one more fantastic composition in called "Aligina velane choodali Sri yaduveeruni andaalu" in telugu. I cant remember who wrote it. I heard it ages ago in a music competition
Kiran

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Since Saigals death anniversary has just passed ,here are two of his beauties in Desh.

:http://rapidshare.de/files/11550317/02- ... o.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/11550912/01-Dukh_Ke.mp3.html

and a nice rendering by Mehdi Hasan

http://rapidshare.de/files/11550642/Meh ... 2.mp3.html

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

Hi Ravi
Thank you. There is one more fantastic composition in called "Aligina velane choodali Sri yaduveeruni andaalu" in telugu. I cant remember who wrote it. I heard it ages ago in a music competition
Kiran
Dear Kiran,
The song is from Gundamma Katha, 1961, Sung by Suseela, lyrics by Pingali and music direction by Ghantasala.
Available from Telugu Section of Indianscreen.com.
--Rigapada
--

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hi RiGaPaDa
thank you. I faintly remember that song. Its based on Desh.

mantra

Post by mantra »

Can someone repost the Desh by Manna Dey
http://rapidshare.de/files/3455756/03-P ... a.mp3.html

and also the Kannada song
Rgds
Shyam

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Shyam,
Here is Manna Dey's song:
http://rapidshare.de/files/11599355/phi ... _.mp3.html
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is one of the finest by Lata in her early days in Kalpana (1960)
http://rapidshare.de/files/11616051/Bek ... h.ogg.html

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Try this video on Desh people

Its great
ttp://homepage.mac.com/patrickmoutal/macmoutal/movies/imratvajahatshafat_desh.mov

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

This the correct link. Ignore the earlier one
http://homepage.mac.com/patrickmoutal/m ... t_desh.mov
Kiran

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Does anyone have Audio for "Miley Sur mera tumhara.." which used to be broadcasted on doordarshan yrs ago?

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Cheers

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Are there any classical compositions in Desh. I know that trinity hasnt composed any in this raagam. What about post trinity composers like Sri Papanasan Sivan and others.
Could anyone possibly post some more audio...
Thank you
Here we go

http://rapidshare.de/files/11824520/kam ... y.mp3.html

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Bravo DRS!

Exciting!
First please post the lyric which I note is your own composition and I am unable to catch some words due to slurring. It is magnificent patterned after MD with beautiful durita kaalam. Do also discuss the subtle meanings which is apparent to me on even first hearing.

The shruti alignment is just perfect. I couldn't help noticing straying on to HM style which of course is the beauty in Desh. Pl comment! The lyric rendering is quite classic and I did get a glimpse of kedaragowlai ( am I dreaming?). Perhaps you can explain.

Thank you so much for contributing and filling the lacuna in CM in this excellent raga!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Dear CML
Thanks for the encouragement. Here are the lyrics
rAga- dES, AditALa, Own composition

kamalAmbikayA kaTAkShitOham |
kAmitadAyaka kalpalatikayA ||P||

kamanIya suguNavATikayA daSa- |
gamaka varNAbharaNa pETikayA ||
kamalajAnanda bOdhOtsukayA kAdi hAdi mantrAtmikayA SrI ||AP||

nakhOtpanna haridaSAvatarayA |
naya ghana dESI rAgAdarayA |
akhaNDa karuNArasa sAgarayA |
abhayavarapradakarayA varayA ||
makhESa SrIkAntAdivinutayA mAyAkalanA pArangatayA |
akhilAgama nigamOdghOShitayA AtmavidyA prakASitayA SrI ||C||

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

DRS,
listened to it..really beautiful!!

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

DRS,
Its very very good....

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

WoW! DRS!

A magnificent lyric. I would love to see your interpretations too! I know you have written 'makhESa' (Lord of sacrificial rites) purposely (not a typo). I am lost on 'nakhOtpanna haridaSAvatarayA'. Do please post the complete interpretation with commentaries. I know you have composed a lot in Kannada (though I am behind a linguistic barrier). I would love to see your compositions as well <b>as renderings </b> in the sanskrit language. Kindly start a separate thread!

Men do not light a candle and hide it under a bushel (Holy Bible).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

DRS,
Superb: it was great to listen with the lyrics.
I agree with CML that it is VERY reminiscent of MD.
I have heard that MD composed with the swaras/notations first and then put in words: did you do the same?
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

rAga- dES, AditALa

kamalAmbikayA kaTAkShitOham- I have been graced by the benevolent sideward glance(Look) of kamalAmbikA;
kAmitadAyaka kalpalatikayA- By Her Who is the wish-granting tree/creeper;

kamanIya suguNavATikayA-By Her Who is a garden of all qualities beautiful and graceful;
daSa gamaka varNa AbharaNa pETikayA- By Her Who is a jewelbox filled with the beautiful ornaments of the 10 gamakas and varNAlankAras of music.
kamalajAnanda bOdhOtsukayA-By her Who is keen on teaching brahmAnanda;
kAdi hAdi mantrAtmikayA-By Her Who is the soul/essence of the kAdi and hAdi mantra of SrIvidyA; SrI

nakhOtpanna hari daSAvatarayA- By Her from Whose fingernails arose the 10 avatAras of viShNu;
Recall karAnguli nakhOtpanna nArAyaNa daSAkRti from the sahasranAma
During the battle with bhaNDAsura, bhaNDa used the sarvAsurAstra which gace rise to rAvaNa, bali, hiraNyAkSha etc. dEvi in turn gave rise to matsyAdi 10 avatAras of viShNu to check these evil forces. There are also otherinterpretations.
We also have "karAnguli nakhOdaya viShNu daSAvatArE" in MD`s ghaNTA navAvaraNa kRti.

naya ghana dESI rAgAdarayA- Her Who respects/regards naya ghana and dESI rAgas alike. Note the rAgamudre here;

akhaNDa karuNArasa sAgarayA- By Her Who is an unending/unbroken ocean of compassion;
abhaya varaprada karayA-By Her Who frees one from fear and grants boons;
varayA- By Her that is best/eminent/lofty;
makhESa SrIkAntAdi vinutayA-By Her Who is eulogised by indra and SrIkAnta(ViShNu);
(indra is the Lord of sacrifices. He performed a 100 sacrifices and became Satamakha and makhapati)

mAyA kalanA pArangatayA-By her Who is beyond all illusion and illusory incitement/behaviour;
akhila Agama nigama udghOShitayA- By Her Who is praised full-throatedly by the vEdas and Agamas;
AtmavidyA prakASitayA- By Her Who is revealed by AtmavidyA/SrIvidyA;
She is called AtmavidyA in the sahasranAma; SrI

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

DRS,

Thanks for the wonderful explanation and the song... hope we see more like these in other ragas too... don't hide your talents. All the best.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Ravi
I usually compose the sAhitya and swara at the same time though not necessarily all at one go. AFAIK MD did the same too as did tyAgarAja and SyAmA SAStri.

CML
Iam honoured by your and others`appreciation. This brings to mind a vacana (tripadi) by the celebrated kannaDa poet sarvaj~na (like tiruvaLLuvar)

rasikanADida mAtu SaSiyudisi bandante |
rasikanalladana bari mAtu kivige kUr- |
dasiyu baDidante sarvaj~na ||

"A praise from a rasika(knowledhgable and true lovers) is like the rising of the moon. A barren word of praise from non-rasikas feels like a sharp spike poking oness ear."
Just for information- I have composed mostly in sankEti as also a substantial number in kannaDa and samskRta. A few in tamizh. I have dabbled in telugu (years ago). I have composed in all genres.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hi Drshrikaanth
Thats a great composition and explanation. You should also popst your other compositions, if they are in a language diff from sanskrit. You should post us the meaning as well. Its so enriching. You did a great job
Cheerios

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

DRS,
would love to hear the few in tamizh!!! do u/l some whenever u can :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

DRS

Mind blowing! The sahityam is of the first water mark! There is an element of divine inspiration! You MUST let the music world have it! Though you mentioned that you are not a confirmed Sri Vidya upaasaka you appear to have vaageeshvarI guiding your thought patterns. Tell us when you composed this. Do convey my (our) congratulations to your mother for giving us a scholar and a poet and a performer too! Pl post the other compositions as also new compositions if we can provide any incentive and inspiration!

daSa gamaka varNa AbharaNa pETikayA- very beautiful! Reminds me of MD's description!

kamalajAnanda = brahmAnanda. Nice choice of word and very subtle since herein it is not a direct reference to brahma but to the ultimate bliss. or in the computer jargon it is indirect addressing (brahma being a place holder ;-)

nakhOtpanna hari daSAvatarayA- I was expecting avatAraya but after some thought I realized how appropriate it is since hari indeed descended from Devi's nails. It is not an incarnation! (since you wrote out of inspiration it can't be wrong ;-)

naya ghana dESI rAgAdarayA - I am lost here! Are you talking about ghaNa ragas and dESI ragas? What does 'naya' mean here? (are you punning on the word 'dES' ? Pl explain...

mAyA kalanA pArangatayA = By her who gets us across (pArangatA) from the grasp (kalana) of mAyA (illusion).

And more to appreciate.... Thank you and thanks to that immanent shakti who is inspiring you!

dEvi! tubhyaM namastE namaste ||

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

DRS
naya ghana dESI rAgAdarayA - I am lost here! Are you talking about ghaNa ragas and dESI ragas? What does 'naya' mean here? (are you punning on the word 'dES' ? Pl explain..||
Both your observations are correct. I did pun on dES thus incorporating the rAgamudre. Als I referred to the ghana, naya and dESI rAgas. naya is another name for rakti rAgas. dESi is of course an imported rAga. dESI rAgas are of course naya/rakti rAgas too but the vice versa is not always the case.

abadri

Post by abadri »

DRS, many thanks for sharing your creative output with us.
With your permission, shall we open a thread in the composers'
section of this forum and continue the discussions there (to keep
it all in one place)?

Thanks.
-Badri

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Badri
Thanks for showing interest. I do not mind sharing my mite but I am somewhat apprehensive about others thoughts. As long as others are interested and have no objections, I am with you.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

badri

I am 100% for it. Hope everybody will agree.

DRS

Thanks for the explanation. Pl, let us get going with other compositions!

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

I have no objections at all, whatsoever. Go ahead DRS..

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

DRS Tell us when you composed this. Do convey my (our) congratulations to your mother for giving us a scholar and a poet and a performer too! Pl post the other compositions as also new compositions if we can provide any incentive and inspiration!
I composed this kRti in April 1999.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

DRS
Go ahead and enlighten and enrich us with your compositions. Dont hesitate

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks DRS

If you had composed it in 1999 I am surprised you never made this gem available to the listening CM enthusiasts. It is such a good Sahityam, music and meaning-wise that it would have been rendered on the concert platform on special occasions (navaratri etc). So I (we) insist that you bring into limelight your compositions over the years with commentary! I am not joking when I mentioned that there is a divine spark in them. I am sure you will welcome if I (we) critically analyze and debate them. The puranic references are fascinating as also the literary beauty (the sanskrit ones) and I certainly will be tempted to ask a number of questions and comments with my limited knowledge (bear with me!). Do please add your critical comments as well as analysis of the raga and the musical aspects (It will be great if you can add the swara notations too!) (is it too much to ask!). But before we leave 'dEsh"' would you mind adding special historical and prayoga comments on it (since there is not much in classical CM literature on this exciting melodious raga).

When you start the new thread on your compositions at the Composer section kindly give us a brief biographical introduction as well a digital picture of yourself! I would love to hear some comments from your mother as well as other friends and associates; now that the JC thread is winding down let us get on with it!

susvAgataM!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanks DRS
When you start the new thread on your compositions at the Composer section kindly give us a brief biographical introduction as well a digital picture of yourself! I would love to hear some comments from your mother as well as other friends and associates; now that the JC thread is winding down let us get on with it!
susvAgataM!
Thanks CML. Yes your comments and analysis will be welcome. As for starting a new thread, I shall leave that to Badri/others. That will leave me less open to criticism. Will post more on dES later.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Badri/Chembai

Ball is in your court....
Pl kick off....

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I have just started reading the Dr. Shrikaanth, the composer thread and I am amazed that we had such a great vAgyakAra amidst us and we did not know for this long. And after reading this dEsh thread, I now know how we found out about the composer side of the good doctor. It will take me a while to catch up in the other thread and I sure will.

Back to dEsh, hope kamalAmbikAya by Shrikaanth is picked up by performers to sing in concerts. He has put in great depth of classicism there to give a non-thukkada status for dEsh.

In the re-tuning of Thiruppugazh by Delhi Raghavan(?), he had used dEsh to good effect for one stanza. It is very mesmerizing. I heard it a long time back from a mAmi who taught this version of Thiruppugazh. A few months back, another mAmi belonging to a Thiruppugazh group in Chennai, knew this version and sang it beautifully. I know I am being vague without providing the verse etc. ( I just forgot but I may be able to dig that up ) but if someone knows more about what I am talking about please share.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Guruji Ragavan has actually tuned four songs in Desh

gathiyai viLakku
Jaya jaya aruNAdri
niraamaya puraathana
pakkuva aachaara
parimaLa mikavuLa

visit
http://www.kaumaram.com/
to get the songs as well as the audio.
I agree they are delightful!

vasanthakokilam

CML, thanku. "pakkuva aachaara" is what I had in mind. It is great to get back in touch with that song. For me, it has a haunting beauty to it. How does it come across to you all? Thanks CML for the other songs in dEsh as well.

For those who can not read Tamil, here are the direct links to the dEsh songs CML mentions ( the link names are in tamil font at kaumaram.com )

"pakkuva vaachaara" - http://www.kaumaram.net/gr_audio/0211.zip

The rest of the dEsh songs are here

http://www.kaumaram.net/gr_audio/0055.zip
http://www.kaumaram.net/gr_audio/0375.zip
http://www.kaumaram.net/gr_audio/0169.zip

CML, I could not find "Jaya jaya aruNAdri" that you mentioned.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

vasanthakokilam

Got that one as well now. Thanks CML. Great harvest of dEsh in a day. Bhesh, bhesh!!

For thiruppugazh people, kaumaram.com is a huge treasure trove. The lyrics and meaning are in both tamil and english with audio for each song. What else one can ask for!!

Couple of quick questions.

1) Some one in India, we think would enjoy and appreciate learning these songs. I guess I can download them and copy to tapes or burn to CDs. But is a commercial recording of all these songs ( or a good representative subset ) available? Along with a print out of the lyrics with meaning in Tamil?

2) This bhajan format available at that website is great for learning, especially considering it is coming directly from the source. I am curious if any professional singers have sung these songs with mridangam and violin support. I am usually not attracted to the 'bhakthi padalgal' with orchestral accompaniments ( barring a couple of exceptions ), so it would be great to have a more traditional rendition.