SARANGA MALHAR

Rāga related discussions
Sivaramakrishnan

SARANGA MALHAR

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Saragamalhar is a janya of Sankarabharanam and a discovery of Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavathar.

'Sankarabharanam without Gandhara (both in arohana/avarohana)' would rather explain the scale.

The HMB kriti in the raga is 'SRI MAHABALAGIRI NIVASINI' set to Adi Tala. The song has been popularised by Sri Trivandrum Venkitaramanan and the veteran sang it in his isai vizha 2013 concert at Brahma Gana Sabha, Chennai.

Prince Rama Varma has uploaded the concert in You Tube (in his site musique4ever)

CRama

Re: SARANGA MALHAR

Post by CRama »

SRIMAHABALAGIRINIVASINI in Saranga Malhar was sung by DKJ in an Academy Concert which was released as a double album by AVM.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Here is a nice rendition of the rAgA and the kriti: https://youtu.be/FjorgYd6iG4?t=1879

And the ma - pa going over the samam is a class HMB creation

https://youtu.be/FjorgYd6iG4?t=2079

what with all jathis inside a citta svaram. Other than vallabha nAyakasya of MD, don't see many instances of this.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

As they sing it, it is quite reminiscent of Gowrimanohari. It is a janya of that one too.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Ranganayaki, it would be nice if you could tell why Saranga malhar cannot be treated as a janya of Sankarabharanam.

This would help to understand the criteria for determining the mela raga.
Last edited by Sivaramakrishnan on 17 Mar 2020, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

It is brindAvana-gauri-manOhari. On the lower octave as they touch mantra stAyi niShAda, it speaks brindAvani!

gaurimanOhari is earlier cakra (22 karaharapriyA sequence) and convention is to choose the first off of 72 that encompasses it - like how mOhanam is from harikAmbOdhi. First-in-adoption rule! That explains why they are janaka rAgAs (paternal reference!) :ugeek: - to answer RKSK's question to Smt. Suguna Varadachari in his Arkay Lecdem few years back! :lol:

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 07:21 Ranganayaki, it would be nice if you could tell why Saranga malhar cannot be treated as a janya of Sankarabharanam.

This would help to understand the criteria for determining the mela raga.
No, I did not say that. It is a janya of Shankarabharanam. But it is also a janya of Gowrimanohari as the G is dropped. If you are writing it down as a janya of a melakarta in a list, you can just pick and choose one or the other as the janaka raga, so it does not appear twice.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I think the only criterion for janya-janaka relationship is that the swaras of the janya should be a subset of those of the janaka (except for bhashanga ragas).

I would say, for example, that Mohanam is a janya of HariKambhoji, Shankarabharanam. Vachaspati and Kalyani. By the oft-cited convention of the first number melakarta, it should be known as a janya of Harikambhoji. But I don’t think that’s how it is conventionally classified. We usually say that’s it is a janya of Shankarabharanam. That doesn’t mean the other three are not its janakas. But Shankarabharanam is the most well-known of these four, so it is most convenient to classify it under that. Same thing for Gowrimanohari and Shankarabharanam. Most people are more familiar with the latter. So if I want to quickly describe Sarangamalhar such that you immediately have an idea, I would choose to say it is Shankarabharanam minus the G, rather than Gowrimanohari, because you may or may not be familiar with the details of Gowrimanohari, whereas you are almost sure to know SB.

The sound of it significantly resembles GM, to my ear. But I don’t think it means that it should be classified under GM and not SB. Because that criterion would be too subjective for a very logical melakarta system and many ragas won’t fit anywhere if we used such a criterion.

RoopaSrikanth

Post by RoopaSrikanth »

Namaste, can we get a list of the Raga-s created by Muttaiah Bhagavatar.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

vijayasarasvati, hamsagamani, pashupatipriyA, karNaranjani,
budhamanOhari, guharanjani, sumapriyA, hamsadIpikA,
kOkilabhASiNi, alankAri, valaji, gauDamallAr,
sArangamallAr, nirOSTa, mAyApradIpta, vINAdhari,
harinArAyaNi, nAgabhUSaNi, hamsAnandi,
cakrapradipta, vijayanAgari, gurupriyA, manOramA.

Of these valaji and hamsAnandi were already in use in the
Hindustani system as kalAvati and sOhini long before.

SivaniVSPG24

Post by SivaniVSPG24 »

Ranganayaki wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 04:23 As they sing it, it is quite reminiscent of Gowrimanohari. It is a janya of that one too.
Yes madam

SivaniVSPG24

Post by SivaniVSPG24 »

Thank you Lakshman ji for providing valuable information 🙏

SivaniVSPG24

Post by SivaniVSPG24 »

https://youtu.be/f-fz9PvJJdY
Happened to find this link of DKJ.
Wonderful rendition by him.