suruti

Rāga related discussions
Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Janya of 28th mela Hari kamboji.
Aro s r m p n d n s
Ava s n d p m g p m r s
Very auspicious raga.Prayogas like mgpmr,ndns makes it identifiable.
Major compostions include
Varna ento premato,Deekshitar?s famous Angarakam,one of Navagraha kritis on mars.,Geetharthamu by Thyagaraja,Swathi padam alarasara(pl find it at kvn s thread)

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

This is one of my favourite pieces in Suruti. Angarakam by rajam Iyer. Aha! What a rendition!!!
http://rapidshare.de/files/11781049/Angarakam.rm.html
Kiran

abadri

Post by abadri »

A few recordings.

First, a SSI version of the Surutti varnam
[rapidshare links deleted]

Two detailed renditions of Angarakam & Gitartamu by MDR

Another MDR favorite in Surutti - GKB's Kanaka Sabhai

A beautiful SSI rendition of the other Dikshitar masterpice - Sri Venkata Girisam

Nedunuri singing the harati as only he can

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Badri,
Sorry to bother you, but do you have a version of the divine vEnakata girIsham as an mp3/m4a/ogg file?
Thanks.
Ravi

abadri

Post by abadri »

Badri,
Sorry to bother you, but do you have a version of the divine vEnakata girIsham as an mp3/m4a/ogg file?
Thanks.
Ravi
Ravi, here we go.

It's the same recording as the earlier realmedia file.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks a ton, Badri!
Ravi

Ananth

Post by Ananth »

GNB's Paramukhamelara - what a stunning rendition!
Has Kalyanaraman sung this piece? Can someone pls upload it?

Also I heard TNS has sung RTP in Suruti. Can someone pls share?

thx,
Ananth

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

The best ever piece in suruti is the varnam 'sAmi enta nI'.

It is a varnam found in Pradarshini and is by iirc, subbarama dikshitar. What a varnam? it shows all that is there in surutti in all of its 5 caranams and sets of svara sahityams for each of it.

T K Govinda Rao renders this varnam very well.

Beyond TNS, TMK has also sung pallavis in surutti.

nallanchakra

Post by nallanchakra »

Apart from Gitartamu in Surati, there is also another composition composed by Thyagaraja " Ramachandra Nee daya" which is beautiful and slow paced.

Lalgudi's version of "Paramukham elara " is stunning. My wife learnt the composition from lalgudi himself. I dont have any recordings of it.

naraharimg

Post by naraharimg »

I'm fond of this great raga! I must have listened to SSI's Sri Venkatagirisham and lalgudi's muktaya swara in the same recording more than hundred times the day I got that!
Though, it's mentioned as a managalakara raga, it's not taught directly by Gurus and has a stigma to it! Dikshitar has composed "Bala Subaramanya" as a mangalacharana kriti along with Sri MahaGanapatiravatu maam (in Goula), to be sung on Mahalaya Amavasya day, before starting the "NAVAVARANA " on padya of Navaratri.This is broadcast in Mysore AIR every year.(Don't have any rec of maestros!)
I've tried to make a list of compositions in this raga
1.BalaSubramanya-Dishitar
2.Angaraka- Dikshitar
3.SriVenkata-Dikshitar
4.Govindarajaya-Dikshitar
5.SriVanchanatham-Dikshitar
6.Balakuchambike-Dikshitar
7.Laliataparameshwari-Dikshitar
8.Geetatrthmu-Tyagaraja
9.Bhajanaparula-Tyagaraja
10.Ramachandra ne daya-Tyagaraja
11.verevvare gati-Tyagaraja
12.Para Devi-Veena Kuppayya
13.Ambara Chidambara-Muttu Tandavar
14.Alar sara paritapamu-Swati Tirunal Maharaj
15.INdandu-Kshetrajna (Padams)
16.Intiki-Kshetrajna
17.Evarivalla-Kshetrajna
18.Mariyada teliyaka ne-Patnam
19.Vega neevu-Ramnad SrinivasIyengar
20.Prana sakhudatu-Dharmapuri Subbarayar
21.SriRamachandrunaku-Arunachalakavirayar
22.Patiki harati-Tyagaraja
There are pre-recs of MBK,S.Ramanathan, R.K.Srikanthan of ANGARAKA.I've listened to OST singing GEETARTHAMU (Odakattur Math concert, Sheshadripuram, Blore).Anyone has the recording? Lalgudi has played an elaborate alapana for Sri Vekata -KGS 1975 concert-released by AVM. There is another recording of Sri Venkata by Sudha, but, no one can elevate to the level of the great SSI !
It's a diificult raga for the beginner to delineate and to elicit that RANAJANE !
But, many of the ARATI songs sung by the un-inititaed(to the formal music) does sound great in this raga.One such addressing Sri Rama in Kannada goes like this...

ARUTI YETTIRE NAARIAYARELLARU
MAARA SUNDARA SUKUMARA SHAREERAGE

Pl post more pieces on this great raga...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

RTP by Madurai Somasundaram in Suruti

http://rapidshare.de/files/14405995/29- ... p.mp3.html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Dikshitar has composed "Bala Subaramanya" as a mangalacharana kriti along with Sri MahaGanapatiravatu maam (in Goula), to be sung on Mahalaya Amavasya day
Here is Sita Rajan and Party singing 'srI bAlasubramaNyam':
http://rapidshare.de/files/14422837/01_ ... i.mp3.html

The mangaLam of Saint Ts set of uthsava sampradhAya krithIs 'pathiki hArathI rE' is also VERY SOOTHING! And so is mAtRariyAdha a thiru arutpA that TMK sings ... but those are commercially available :cry:.

My all-time favorite in suruttI is OVKs 'pArvai ondrE pOdhumE' - the mental picture conjured up by the lyrics gives me goose-bumps everytime I hear that song.

ARI tuned the thiruppAvai, and here he is rendering 'vangakadal kadaindha':
http://rapidshare.de/files/14423063/15. ... m.mp3.html

Ravi

yAm petRa inbam ivvayagam peruga

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

T's 'Shringarinchukoni' is another beautiful composition in suruti... i have heard TRS sing it... the swaraksharams are suuuuper!!! :)
will u/l it sometime...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

T's 'Shringarinchukoni' is another beautiful composition in suruti... i have heard TRS sing it... the swaraksharams are suuuuper!!! :)
will u/l it sometime...
Anyone interested in the entire naukAcharitham should get the CD produced by a French duo - The naukA charitram from Navras Records in the UK: TVR sings the part of the narrator and Krishna, and Charumati Ramachandran, Shubhashree Ramachandran (their daughter) and Lakshmi Rangarajan (CR's student) sing the parts of the gopis. CR has directed the music and the the arrangements. It is absolutely divine! The words are very clear and surprisingly easy to follow (the language is less complicated that the Saints other compositions).
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Ravi can you be specific about the product details. Iam actually interested in having a copy of it and I am from UK.
many thanks
kiran

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kiran,
Here is the website with the info:
http://www.navrasrecords.com/smartshop. ... h_id=22249
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Thats a very quick response. Thanks Sankar

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

and who can forget that great opener from a semmangudi-lalgudi-trichy sankaran concert.
http://rapidshare.de/files/14640050/01_ ... m.mp3.html

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Coolkarni
Can I request you to u/l Saami ninne Varnam in Suruti. Thats the one from SSP. Thats my all time favourite in the raaga..
Thanks you

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

i would also be happy appreciate a copy of the varnam 'sAmi enta nI'. What a composition? my gosh...

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

i would also be happy appreciate a copy of the varnam 'sAmi enta nI'. What a composition? my gosh...
Here is a link to a rendition of Subbarama Dikshitar's Surati varnam by me and Rohin, as taught by SRJ mama. The varnam is rendered in rupaka talam and consists of a pallavi, anupallavi, muktAyisvarA/sAhitya, caraNa, and five caraNasvarAs/sAhitya, followed by anubandha sAhitya. Please excuse the recording quality.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/iyer/sura ... shitar.mp3

I'm just posting this for reference - its in no way meant to substitute for the renditions of SRJ Mama or other great masters! :)

Ashwin

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Ashwin
Can I scrounge a copy of the notation for this varnam preferably in english/telugu/sanskrit?
Thank you

ramamrutham

Post by ramamrutham »

Kiransurya,

Subbarama Dikshithar's varnam is available in SSP(Sangita Sampradaya Pradarshini).

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Kiransurya,

You can also find the notation for the varnam in English in Sri TK Govinda Rao's book, "Varnamanjari", by Ganamandir Publications.

Ashwin

seldnplan

Post by seldnplan »

Thanks Ashwin!

That's a very soulful rendition of a lovely, lovely varNam. I can't describe how beautiful I find it.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Ashwin
That indeed was a soulful suruti. You have a good voice too. Keep it up..

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Ashwin:

Wonderful soulful rendition indeed. Thanks for making it available to us. BTW, who is Rohin?

Thanks.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. Rohin is my younger brother; he and I study and perform together. I should also mention that the accompaniments in that recording are Arun Ramachandran (mRdangam), Anand Srinivasan (violin), and Karthik Venkataraman (kanjIrA).

An interesting historical fact: SRI SRJ, SRI TKG, and SRI TRS (who also renders the suraTi varnam) were classmates in the first batch of students at the Central College of Music in Chennai (early 1950s?) - it is here that this varnam, along with other treasures of subbarAma dIkShitar, e.g., his khamAs varnam (entani nE delupudurA) and balahamsa varnam (SRI rAjAdi rAja), was taught to them by tiruppAmpuram SRI svAminAtha piLLai.

I think it would be fitting to devote a thread to the discussion of these great compositions, since 2006 marks subbarAma dIkShitar's death centenary.

Ashwin

meena

Post by meena »

Ashwin wrote:

I think it would be fitting to devote a thread to the discussion of these great compositions, since 2006 marks subbarAma dIkShitar's death centenary
Ashwin, pl do the honors, and start a thread on sree subbarAma dIkShitar

Prof. SRJ, u and ur brother have rendered quite a few wonderful/rare comp of sree subbarama dikshitar, we all would love to hear/discuss them. thanks

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Ashwin!!!
I support meena and urge you to start a new thread on Dikshitar family krithis we would all love to hear/discuss them. There are quite a few Dikshitar fanatics like me on the forum..

naraharimg

Post by naraharimg »

Coolkarni Sir

It's really a nice alapane by Sri.TRS.Almost, like a class on SURATI raga! But, the kriti part is missing in the upload.Pl look into it.Thanks a lot!

Narahari.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

narahari
will upload again.
here is a small compensation.RTP by TNS with MSG in sublime form..

http://rapidshare.de/files/15545328/08-Rtp_Suruti.mp3

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

naraharimg

Post by naraharimg »

Coolkarni Sir
Thank you for those wonderful u/l s! RTP in Surati, this is the first time I got to listen to! It's really amazing.
Can anyone clarify regarding the sahitya of Sri VENKATA GIRISAM - KALUSHAPAHA " GOKARNA KSHETRAM" - which place is MD referring to? Gokarna of Karnataka?

Narahari

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

deleted

nayaki

Post by nayaki »

Lyrics courtesy Lakshman sir. Anyone out there to translate this song? I think there was a 'Murali' who could translate almost anything! Is he around?
Ashwin - Thanks, I was looking for a rendition of this after I heard SRJ mama talk about it in a lec dem.

sAmI entani (varNa). rAgA: suraTi. Adi tALA.

P: sAmi entani delpudurA sudati suguNamulu sarasA entani delpudurA
A: kAmincina kAntarA karuNinci jUDumurA
shrI mAdhavuDai velayu shrI muddusAmi eTTEndra
(svarasAhitya)
sArasamukhi rasikara sharaNani madini dalacerA
sukara shrIkara guNAkarA hrdayamuna
karAna kanikarAna nErA mamata mIraganu
celimi mElimiga lAlanamu sEyarA salalita guNa
C: nIrajAkSinikkammuga ninnu kOriyunnadirA
sAmi nIrajAkSinnadairA
(svaram)
1: A rAma vilAsavatirA sumatirA guNavatirA
2: attaruNi cittAbja mittarini tattarillamatta tagala cittajuDu
krotta sharamulanettu konaga golici
3: pATalAdharirA jana pAla sArasa kandira pAvanuDani ramaNiyE
pAri epuDu nijalaja pAdamulane namminadi pAlimpumu krpArNava
4: nI rajavairi vennala nI tari galgu shramamuna nIDu vagalu dalaci
yavanI pAla shikhAmaNI nI vitaraNa guNamulanu nIla nIrada kuntaLa
5: svAnantamuna intiki virahamentara tyAga vasantuDani tAntamuga
latAnta nicAnta lasanti nirantaramu vasantamunanu kanturantulanu migula
cinta galigi tAnti jendenurA sadaya santatamunu nIrajAkSinnadirA
nenerunci sarasamuganu nelatanu gUDumurA dhIra brnda mandAra
divya hAra shubha sharIra shrI rAjAdhirAja shrI muddusAmi eTTendra

meena

Post by meena »

I think there was a 'Murali' who could translate almost anything! Is he around?
Nope , not on this forum.

raviraj

Post by raviraj »

Ashwin,

Should say , that as a "fantabulous" rendition !! Thanks for providing that piece . Have you rendered the Todi ( Rupamu Joochi) and the Sriranjani ( Sami Ninne) varnams of Ramswami Dikshithar ? If so can you please provide the same? TIA. Not sure if this can be posted here.

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

sAmI entani (varNa). rAgA: suraTi. Adi tALA. Subbarama Dikshitar.

P: sAmi = O master, entani =How much, delpudurA = can I describe, sudati = of the lady, suguNamulu = good traits, sarasA = o gentleman, entani delpudurA = How much can I narrate.

A: kAmincina kAntarA = (she is) a lady longing (for you), karuNinci = compassionately, jUDumurA = Look upon her,
shrI mAdhavuDai velayu = renowned as Sri Madhava, shrI muddusAmi eTTEndra
(svarasAhitya)

sArasamukhi = (this) lotus faced lady, rasikara = is a woman, who has artistic taste, sharaNani = seeking protection, madini =in her mind, dalacerA = reflect, think.

Gist:This lotus faced woman is one with artistic taste and in her mind seeking your protection.

sukara = tame, easily manageable, shrIkara guNAkarA = with excellent virtues, hrdayamuna= in the heart,
karAna = with the hand, kanikarAna = with compassion, nE rAma mata = lady's word, mIraganu = without crossing, celimi = with friendliness, mElimiga = in a better way, lAlanamu sEyarA = soothe her or charm her, salalita guNa = O, one with delicate manners.

C: nIrajAkSi = the lady with lotus eyes, nikkammuga = really, ninnu kOriyunnadirA = Is desirous of you.
sAmi nIrajAkSi nikkammuga ninnu kOriyunnadirA

(svaram)

1: A rAma = that lady, vilAsavatirA = (is) playful and merry, sumatirA = of sound mind and right thinking, guNavatirA = of good and amiable qualities,

2: attaruNi = of that lady, cittAbja = mind, mittarini = in this way, tattarillu = become embarrassed, mattata gala = amorous, cittajuDu = Manmadha (cupid),
krotta = new, sharamula = arrows, nettu konaga = lift up, golici = after measuring or worshipping,

3: pATalAdhari rA = (she is) with rose colored lips, jana pAla = O king, sArasa = pleasant and agreeable, kandira pAvanuDani = (knowing that you are) pure and holy, ramaNi = that lady, yEpAri = with abandon, epuDu = always, ni(I) = your, jalaja = lotus like, pAdamulane = feet, namminadi = (she) believed, pAlimpumu = Rule her, krpArNava = O ocean of kindness,

Shall post the remaining tomorrow.

Dear ashwin, thank you for your clear and grand diction, which helped me a lot in the above translation. Any corrections shall be gratefully received.

--Rigapada

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Rigapada

for that lucid word-to-word translation. You efforts are highly appreciated!
awaiting the rest....

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Thanks very much Rigapada - looking forward to the rest of your wonderful translation!

Ashwin

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

The remaining part:

4: nIraja vairi vennala = the moon light, nI tari = near you, galgu = happening, shramamuna = due to exertion, nIDu vagalu = your amorous ways, dalaci = recalling, yavanI pAla shikhAmaNI = Gem among kings, nI vitaraNa guNamulanu = your charitable traits, nIla nIrada kuntaLa = one with hair, dark as the blue sky,

5: svA(na)ntamuna = in the mind, intiki = for the lady, viraha mentara = how much is the love-sickness, ie the pangs of separation are great, tyAga vasantuDa = O generous god of spring, nitAntamuga = excessively, verily, latAnta = flower, nicAnta = collection, lasanti = lady, nirantaramu = continuously, vasantamunanu = in spring, kantu rantulanu = troubles of Cupid, migula = greatly, cinta galigi = worried, tAnti = fatigue, jendenurA = underwent, sadaya = O merciful!, santatamunu = always, nIrajAkSi----nnadirA

nenerunci = with love, sarasamuganu = elegantly, nelatanu = the lady, gUDumurA = meet her, dhIra brnda mandAra = the greatest among the brave,
divya hAra shubha sharIra = body decked with brilliant ornaments, shrI rAjAdhirAja = O king of kings, shrI muddusAmi eTTendra

--Rigapada

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rigapada,
Shouldn't divya hAra be elegant necklace/garland, and shubha sharIra be auspicious body (appropriately proportioned body)?
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Rigapada
That is elegant and a good lesson in Telugu too!
Now we can relish the rendering of Ashwin in toto!

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

Dear Ravi,
Subha means auspicious, Divya has many meanings, including elegant.
Thank you, cml.
--Sarma

nayaki

Post by nayaki »

Thanks Rigapada! A whole new experience to listen to it now.

UmaVVS

Post by UmaVVS »

I'm a great fan of this raga too..got the liking for this raga from my mother who initiated me into carnatic classical music...loved the rendition 'alarshara parithapam' by Swati Tirunal, especially the part Jalajabandhuvumiha...Suruti indeed is a soulful raga...Currently I'm gathering various samples of this raga..Would anyone be able to share a RTP in Suruti? I viewed a few links to rapidshare but apparently the files have got deleted..

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Pathiki harathy re-Utsawasampradahayam-is another piece bringing the essence of this raga surati.