Ragas created by me

Rāga related discussions
ratanabhinav

Ragas created by me

Post by ratanabhinav »

I am very excited to inform you all that I have composed some new ragas.
Vasukipriya
30 Naganandhini janya

Aa: s r G m d S
Av : S n d p m G m r g r s . Note G is antara gandhaam, g is sadharana gandharam

Anantapriya
Kalyani janya
Aa: s r m p n S
Av: S n d m g r s

Vaijayanti
Ramapriya janya
Aa: s r p m d n S
Av: S n p m g r s

Dikshitharagaranjani
Vakulabharanam janya
Aa: s g p d n S
Av: S n p m r s

Syamapriya
Natabhairavi janya
Aa: s r g p n S
Av: S n d p m r g s

Tyagarajapriya
Kharaharariya janya
Aa: s r m p n S
Av: S n d m g m r s

Vedapriyavalli
Kharaharapriya janya
Aa: s r g m p n S
Av: S p m r g r s

Viraja
Sankarabharanam janya
Aa: s r g m n s
Av: S d S p m r s

please do review , give your rating and experts views and please do comment any suggestions , points . I did the above exercise as I felt that as CM rasikas , we do need to listen to some more new ragas , since we have spent lot of time listening to same ragas again and again and have become too acquainted and accustomed to the tunes.( like we say in tamil : kaettu kaettu kaadhe thenju pochu !)

Regards
Ratan Abhinav

sureshvv

Re: Ragas created by me

Post by sureshvv »

You may have to do more than just provide the arohanam/avarohanam. Sing something in it and see if you can distinguish it enough from its close allies and provide recording :)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Nice names for the new rAgAs. However to use these rAgAs in practice one has to know the rAga lakSaNAs and sancArAs which I hope you are working on. It would be great if you can compose songs in these and sing them, as sureshvv has suggested, to bring out the bhAvAs of these new arrangements. All the best to you.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Wonder how you came up with the names?

Could provide insight into thought process of how ragas got their names?

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

How did you make sure these ragas are not there already?

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Do you have some almanac to compare against? Would not that be really hard?
I mean how will you search for a combination of swaras if its already there or not?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

There are books like Ragapravaham and Palaiyazhi which list Arohanas/Avarohanas of ragas/ There is also a list in Sangita Lalitya Lahari.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

Nice job. On what basis did you name them?

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

What does Vedapriyavalli mean? You can have Vedapriya, Vedavalli, but what does Vedapriyavalli mean? It seems rather contrived!

dyiranraj

Post by dyiranraj »

Hello I would like to ask something

Is there any raga that has the following arohanam and avarohanam

Arohanam : S R2 M1 P N1 S
Avarohanam : S N1 P M1 G1 R2 S

Does anyone know the name of the raga if it exists.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I have edited the N to N1

Is there any raga as the above arohanam and avarohanam

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

G1 r2??

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I think he means manirangu.

Aro : S R2 M1 P N2 S
Ava : S N2 P M1 G2 R2 S

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

I thought of it, but he seems to be focusing on Shuddha swaras

Manian

Post by Manian »

When creating a raga, we have to follow the grammar of Musical composition. Like we have sentence types- statements, questions, exclamation and so on, the seven notes or syllables allowed by Karnatic grammar(no such grammar exists as such similar to Tolkapiam or Panani) but implied. The manifestation will come out in a song or Kriti where when a vowel in the syllable is manipulated or created with various wave shapes using gamagas- rising, falling, steep gliding, rollarcoaster, sinusoidal, exponential decay and all such wave shapes within the manipulation of vocal cords and modulated within the vocal cavity by the tongue positions etc., we generate the musical sentences. Normally the intonation is used in speech such as, questioning with raising fundamental frequency, sadness with falling frequency etc., but take the main stage in music. So, a sahitayam or song is necessary to give life to any raga. If the creator of the raga can produce a song and sing, then the raga is realized. Thus, the creator of Raga is just writing possible musical sentences without showing if it can be implemented. When a song comes out the mouth of the singer mostly the raga also merges with it. Muttuswami Dhishitar, Thygaraja did not sit and write the lyrics and search for the ragas, but they were together and then written down. So, how do we know this. I will give some instances from my own life. In Mylapore Kapaliswarar temple, an old man asked me to sing a song on Saniswaran. I told him, I did not know any thing. May Dhishiar had sung Shaneswaram ashryaammi ! He said, why don't you make and sing one. Now with the blessings of Lord Saturn, I sang a song in Vasapathi- SanIswarA SwAmiyE Sakala UirkAkkum JnAniye., KAkkai vAhanE kariya nirathOne, Magara Kumhba rAsikathipanE....
So I had composed five songs on the sport without pen and pencil and it was prompted by the respective God/Goddess. The reason I am writing is not brag, but to make it clear some write the song and then find a raga to implement it and some compose with raga emerging with it. Annamahcarya was the second type. Sorry if offended any one. .

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

I don't know whether this ragam exists or not. Would welcome your help in identifying the ragam.

Aa: S R1 M1 P D1 Ṡ
Av: Ṡ N3 Ṡ D1 P M1 G2 R1 S
Janyam of Dhenuka I suppose
(N3 used very sparingly. G2 rendered as in thodi)

I ask this, because a couple days back, while I was just listening to a rendition of Shri Kamalambike in Ahiri, these lyrics (given below) and a tune corresponding to this aaroham-avaroham suddenly came to my mind.

P) Gowreesham Trinetra Neelakantham Shivam Namami Satatam

AP) Tripurahara Ashritajanashubhakaram Jataajoota Chandra Gangaadharam
Chitravesha Khatvanga Dhaarakam Pinakapanim Tamohara Daksham

MK) Tejomaya Amrutomaya Devam, Aaroopa Rooparoopa Roopam
Bahusruti Mahamaaya Swavesham Ananta Gunaganasaandra Vishishtam

(It appears to be in the Mudduswami Dikshitar P-AP, or P-Samashti Charanam format, this wasn't intentional at all! As I said, this just, sort of struck my mind spontaneously then)

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Please check with the book by Smt. D Pattammal which lists thousands of ragas. It may very well be possible that here and there a scale might have already existed somewhere.

Ananthakrishna

Post by Ananthakrishna »

SrinathK wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 17:08 Please check with the book by Smt. D Pattammal which lists thousands of ragas. It may very well be possible that here and there a scale might have already existed somewhere.
I dearly wish I could! Sadly all the copies I could find of that book are in Tamizh, which I cannot read a word of!
Through other sources I learnt that a ragam Usanan exists with a similar scale, but it does not have a vakra N3 prayogam like the scale given here.

In all the sources I have referred no such scale, and no such ragalakshanam appears to have existed priorly. While I keep searching, temporarily I have named this ragam Maheshwari (Māheshwari)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The English version of Ragapravaham is available here:

http://www.dpattammal.com/raga-pravagam.php