Nihara

Rāga related discussions
rajeshnat

Nihara

Post by rajeshnat »

This raga Nihara is new to me . I came to know when BrainDrain (KP Jayan) posted a recent bangalore concert of suryaprakash in his blog . Jayan's snippet is

He sang swaras in a rAga called ‘nihara’ ( announced by the artist) and the glide and oscillation of notes sounded it like a hindustani one. This was later clarified as a janya of pantuvarali with ” S,g,m,d,N,s / S,N,d,m,g,s” scale.

I did google on Nihara and I am not getting results , bulk of the results are in Hindi. Can any one point me anything about nihara ragam . Possibly it may be known by another name . I am assuming some Hindustani musician may have taken it and folks like varsha who are at ease with HM may know more.
Any more info on Nihara is appreciated.

braindrain

Re: Nihara

Post by braindrain »

I don't think it hsa anything to do with hindustani music. D Pattammal's 'Ragapravaham' has a reference to this raga.

http://www.dpattammal.com/downloads/rp_brahma_52E.pdf

ganeshkant

Re: Nihara

Post by ganeshkant »

Kumudakriya a famous janya of Pantuvarali is closer that also has a hindustani feel.
Hindol of HM is closer to Nihara except for D which is dheevra in that.may be that is the reason why Nihara has a hindustani feel.