Khali Bali (Padmaavat) and Khalbali (Rang De Basanti)

Rāga related discussions
bhaskarns

Khali Bali (Padmaavat) and Khalbali (Rang De Basanti)

Post by bhaskarns »

In my opinion many songs from Padmaavat are actually better than the most popular Ghoomar (which is based on Brindaavana Saaranga)

One of my favourites is Khali Bali. I was trying to identify the raaga, and in my mind it sounds very similar to Khalbali from Rang De Basanti ! Are they the same? Based on swarasthaanams, I am guessing that it is Natabhairavi or its janyam? Can other experts comment please?

Ranganayaki

Re: Khali Bali (Padmaavat) and Khalbali (Rang De Basanti)

Post by Ranganayaki »

bhaskarns wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 08:46 In my opinion many songs from Padmaavat are actually better than the most popular Ghoomar (which is based on Brindaavana Saaranga)

One of my favourites is Khali Bali. I was trying to identify the raaga, and in my mind it sounds very similar to Khalbali from Rang De Basanti ! Are they the same? Based on swarasthaanams, I am guessing that it is Natabhairavi or its janyam? Can other experts comment please?
I don't feel comfortable giving it any carnatic name!

I'm so uncomfortable saying anything about natabhairavi in this regard. With my low level of knowledge, I feel more comfortable saying this is the natural minor scale. The intervals between the notes of the natural minor scale are the same as the intervals in natabhairavi. This song has repeated phrases that do not fit natabhairavi and I don't know of any janya that has these features. May be others are more knowledgeable and can confirm this or correct me, but I think in talking of a scale, there are no restrictions of this nature.

bhaskarns

Re: Khali Bali (Padmaavat) and Khalbali (Rang De Basanti)

Post by bhaskarns »

I agree ... film music has its own variations and we cannot associate a single raaga for most songs. However, this similarity of the two songs (across a decade) and uniqueness prompted me to think. Initially I thought its Jonpuri (Natabhairavi janyam), but soon realised that the patterns don't match :-)