Kedara Gowla

Rāga related discussions
MadhavRayaprolu

Kedara Gowla

Post by MadhavRayaprolu »

Is this phrase valid in KedaraGowla? “RGS—“. Eg; in this avarohanam run S”NDPMGRGS-
Last edited by MadhavRayaprolu on 25 Mar 2018, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

bhakthim dehi

Re: Kedara Gowla

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Very much.

MadhavRayaprolu

I listened to a few swarakalpanas on YouTube. They seem to be avoiding G after a R, probably because the official arohanam is SRMPNS. The only exception I found is Sanjay Subramaniam doing RGGRS once, which arguably sounds like RMGRS, so the exception could be avoided without changing the tune.

In some ways this is surprising since it so befitting to the ragam. Also the classic KedaraGowla phrase in alapanas: NSRG-R. But I guess we can justify it saying there is a bit of M there like NSR(M)G-R.

If anyone finds G after R in any of the swarakalpanas you hear, please post.

MadhavRayaprolu

Some interesting use of N.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vihNC1hvDVI

(from 3:00 to 5:00)

MadhavRayaprolu

A great post on arohana and avarohana: https://sunson.wordpress.com/2008/10/06 ... -avarohana

Although there are exceptions to this. If a note exists in avarohana but not arohana, you can ascend to that note, but you can't stay there or go up. You have to come down. So you can do SRG as long as you have a R or S following it. SRG by itself is not valid, SRGM is definitely not valid.

There is a further nuance to this in Bhairavi ragam. The arohana has D2 but avarohana has D1. But D2 is only used if the phrase is going towards S. So
P D1 N2 D1 P and P D2 N2 S-. I'm not sure if there are other ragas with similar nuance.