Rāga related discussions
shreyas

Hamsanadam vs. Skandamanorama

Post by shreyas »

Hey!
I just wanted to clarify this.
Hamsanadam: S R2 M2 P D3 N3 S S N3 D3 N3 P M2 R2 S
Skandamanorama : S R2 M2 P N3 S S N3 P M2 R2 S

Here's Bantureethi Koluvu in Hamsanadam by T M Krishna: Notice the P S NDN P in the pallavi sangathis. Only after finding out about the other raga did I notice that unobtrusive Satsruti Dhaivatam myself.
http://mio.to/album/T.+M.+Krishna/Enneramaum+%282005%29

Here's the same song by MSS. Notice not a shade of D3 at all. This puzzled me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r83G15Rcb7g

The even more weird thing is TMK's rendering of Kesari Nandana Vandita Ninage of Sri Ganapati Sacchidananda Swamiji. Wach it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIJtgqHT9X8
Would this come under Skandamanorama or Hamsanadam? His kalpanaswaras do not have even a single D anywhere, yet the composition is supposedly in Hamsanadam. I don't understand this at all.

Finally, Sri Ganapati Sacchidananda Swamiji himself, singing his composition Kesari Nandana in Telugu (not Kannada) in the album Nadanjaneya with no D anywhere, yet it is called Hamsanadam.
https://www.shazam.com/track/54942275/kesari-nandana

Unfortunately I could not find a rendering of Raga Skandamanorama, but here's what www.karnatik.com has to say about it.
skandamanOrama
63 latAngi janya
Aa: S R2 M2 P N3 S
Av: S N3 P M2 R2 S

Ragas of Carnatic Music by S Bhagyalekshmy mentions a composition in it, although I am unable to find it.

But all this time I thought Hamsanadam hasd SRMPNS SNPMRS as its swarasthanas, having learnt Bantureethi kolu in that way, singing PPNP instead of PSNDNP. I was befuddled to come across this new raga.

Anyway, I guess I learnt something new!

Lakshman

Re: Hamsanadam vs. Skandamanorama

Post by Lakshman »

I have one song listed in the rAgA skandamanOramA--Manorama manatam manasi by P.K.Rajagopala Iyer. I have no lyrics or notation for this .

RSR

Post by RSR »

@1
Here's the same song by MSS. Notice not a shade of D3 at all. This puzzled me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r83G15Rcb7g

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsanada ... aganidhi-1

"Hamsanadam, as it is sung now-a-days, is a symmetric scale that does not contain gandharam and dhaivatam. It is called an audava rāgam,[1] in Carnatic music classification (as it has 5 notes in both ascending and descending scales). Its ārohaṇa-avarohaṇa structure is as follows (see swaras in Carnatic music for details on below notation and terms):
ārohaṇa : S R2 M2 P N3 S
avarohaṇa : S N3 P M2 R2 S
This scale uses the notes shadjam, chatusruti rishabham, prati madhyamam, panchamam and kakali nishadam.
Other structures
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Earlier structure of this scale were as follows:[1][2]
Ascending scale : S R2 M2 P D3 N3 S
Descending scale : S N3 D3 N3 P M2 R2 S
In the above, shatsruti dhaivatam is added in the scale compared to current usage (shadava scale with 6 notes in ascendinga and descending scale), with a vakra prayoga (zig-zag descending scale).[1][2]
---------------------------------------------------
Ref 1 is the book by Subba Rao
2 ,, Bagyaklakshmi
-----------------------------------------------------
Thank you for sharing the video of Smt.MSS rendering. She is completely immersed in the song. and I find new faces as accompanists. Who is the young violinist? What was the venue and occasion? The numerous appreciative comments in the youtube link speak for themselves.

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

But then what is the difference between the two ragas if Hamsanadam is also now an audava raga with SRMPNS SNPMRS?

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

No one can answer your question - only u get opinions.

Bigger question is - why Banturiti krithi of Tyagarajar has been tampered with and is being sung in so many versions? There is no answer for this one either

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

Negligence.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

You do realize that a lot of Thyagaraja's music has been tampered with? I blame the dark ages...

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

SrinathK wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 08:59 You do realize that a lot of Thyagaraja's music has been tampered with? I blame the dark ages...
But we can never be sure as to which one is authentic - tampered or non-tampered

Only option is to sing according to your Guru's style/paataandharam

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

r vedavalli mami has sung the authentic version of baturithi kolu in her album called pramanam(which is available on YTB "R. Vedavalli - Pramanam - Bantureethi Kolu - Carnatic Vocal")

could anyone explain what is the difference that mami is trying to convey ?
wrt to older hamsanadham and modified one

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

@shreyas To the original poster, don't link to mio or anything T M Krishna that isn't from a proper channel.

Coming to the point, many vivadi kritis were changed because people believed in superstitious taboos.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

RSR wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 14:14
From wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsanada ... aganidhi-1

"Hamsanadam, as it is sung now-a-days, is a symmetric scale that does not contain gandharam and dhaivatam.
I would have thought so too, except that some artists and at least one kriti that use the original (I’m told) version (including D3) are totally contemporary. I recently heard a tillana (I think it was a composition of Ravikiran’s) which included the D3. The artist who played it was very young.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

ajaysimha wrote: 28 Jan 2019, 20:43 r vedavalli mami has sung the authentic version of baturithi kolu in her album called pramanam(which is available on YTB "R. Vedavalli - Pramanam - Bantureethi Kolu - Carnatic Vocal")

could anyone explain what is the difference that mami is trying to convey ?
wrt to older hamsanadham and modified one
The more recent version of hamsanadam is a symmetric raga with 5 notes: S-R2-M2-P-N3-S in the arohanam and the same notes in the avarohanam.

She has sung the original version, which includes a D3 - the details of this scale are in the original post and in RSR’s post. You can hear the difference for example at 0:21 and the repetition at 0:27.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

thanks @Ranganayaki ma'am
for making it clear.

older Hamsanadam:
Ar: S R2 M2 P D3 N3 S
Av:S N3 D3 N3 P M2 R2 S
(shadava-shadava with vakra sanchara)

and newer Hamsanadam:
Ar: S R2 M2 P N3 S
Av:S N3 P M2 R2 S
(audava-audava)
if it has to be given a precise raga name acc to musical text, it can be called as shuddha Hamsanadam :D :D

CRama

Post by CRama »

Kripanidhe in Hamsanadam is a composition of Muthiah Bhagavtar which TNS has included in his double album commercially released by AVM. In the chittaswaram there is the usage of D3.

Hymabollapalli

Post by Hymabollapalli »

U can also listen to bantureeti koluvu sung by TN seshagopalan . It will be fantastic.