ANY CM KRITHI IN DARBARI KANADA? BY DKP?

Rāga related discussions
RSR

ANY CM KRITHI IN DARBARI KANADA? BY DKP?

Post by RSR »

Darbari Kanada is such a moving ragam, a special gift from HM world. My reference for the ragam is the matchless rendition by Smt.MS of Meera Bajan. 'Hari thum haro jan ki ..'. ( music by Piano Vaidhyanathan, 1947, especially recorded and sent for Gandhiji's prayer meetings in those sad days of communal strife).
https://sites.google.com/site/homage2ms ... -thum-haro

Recently came across a link in 'thinkloud' blog of DKP song in this ragam but the link is blocked.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/2v0vnfucr2g7/n/45-Naaninna-Darbari_Kanada-Pdr.mp3
Can someone in the forum enlighten me? I need the song lyrics, composer and if possible, link to the mp3.
Thank you.
------------------------------------
Are there other songs in this ragam by Purandaradasa and the Trinity?

HarishankarK

Re: ANY CM KRITHI IN DARBARI KANADA? BY DKP?

Post by HarishankarK »

Govardhana Giridhara - Narayana Teerthar
Chandrachuda Sivasankara - P.Dasar
Devanuke Pathi Indra - Hindi bhajan Swati Tirunal
Rama Nama Bhajisi - MLV - Vyasaraya?
Karuttil Niraindaai - Aruna Sairam - Aathur Seshaiyyar!

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Trinity have not composed in Darbari Kanada

RSR

Post by RSR »

HarishankarK wrote: 03 May 2018, 11:53 Govardhana Giridhara - Narayana Teerthar
Chandrachuda Sivasankara - P.Dasar
Devanuke Pathi Indra - Hindi bhajan Swati Tirunal
Rama Nama Bhajisi - MLV - Vyasaraya?
Karuttil Niraindaai - Aruna Sairam - Aathur Seshaiyyar!
Thank you very much. Any clue if DKP has rendered in this ragam? This being DKP centenary, it will be nice to bring it to the rasikas.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Sorry - Don't think DKP sang in this raga

shreyas

Post by shreyas »

There are govardhana giridhara by Narayana teertha and Jaya jaya sankara jaya abhayankara, but I don't think DKP in particular sang in this raga?

RSR

Post by RSR »

sreyas-> Thank you. May be you are right. Purandaradasa is most likely to have composed in this raga. ( by the way, are all purandaradasa songs set to music by himself? or the singers use the sahithyam and set it to music?) Are authentic musical notations for all the krithisby available?
Just curious. No disrespect meant to anybody.
Here is an upload by Sankar Rajasekaran. of MLV singing darabari kanada kriti by Purandradasa. at 'Parvathi'. I hope that this is correct.
ML Vasanthakumari-Rama Nama-DarbariKaanada- Eka- Purandaradasa

https://youtu.be/NiYnVEmWN2E

another upload by sankar rajasekaran
https://youtu.be/To2dDXCrg8U
which is the crrect version?

I think, there would be more from eminent artistes.( including TMK)

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

We don't have P. Dasar compositions original tunes. Only lyrics are available.
What we are listening today are all tuned by carnatic musicians and bhajanai musicians.

harimau

Post by harimau »

HarishankarK wrote: 04 May 2018, 02:07 We don't have P. Dasar compositions original tunes. Only lyrics are available.
What we are listening today are all tuned by carnatic musicians and bhajanai musicians.
The late R K Srikantan told me that Purandara Dasa's compositions historically have been sung in about 18 (or 32, I don't recall it now) ragas.

So, if you hear something in Janasammodhini, Jogiya, Darbari Kanada, Bhatiyar, Milan-ki-Malhar, Basant Bahar, Karnaranjani, the All India Radio signature tune (Sivaranjani) or any such Hindustani raga, you can be sure some modern-day tunesmith was at work.

RSR

Post by RSR »

HarishankarK wrote: 04 May 2018, 02:07 We don't have P. Dasar compositions original tunes. Only lyrics are available.
It is rather sad. I had believed that my favourite purandaradasa sahithyams like kaliygadali (cenchurutti) dasananadiko enne * nadanamakriya) , naadege badavabnu * behag and jagadhoddhaarana * pilu) were set to immortral music by the conposer himself and passed down to the subsequent generations by his disciples and followers. as oral tradition. Is it totally unlikely? Why not ? how are the primer lessons and geethams considered to be the original by him?
As an aside, is it likely that Snt MS herself composed the music for these kruthis ? That would be fantastic indeed,
Is it likely that Smt.Lalitangi ( MLV's mother) did some musical notation for the kruthis?
Last edited by RSR on 07 May 2018, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

RSR: rAma nAma bhajisidavage is by Gopaladasa. The two Youtube versions sung by MLV are the same. She sings only one of the three caraNAs (the last one) where Gopala viThala mudra appears. MLV published a book of Purandaradasa songs titled Purandara Mani Malai. It can be downloaded here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/guruguha/MusicRe ... A-0019.pdf
The tunes therein were either tuned by her or by her mother Lalitangi.
There are about 75 songs in darbArikAnaDA. some have been mentioned in earlier posts.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Lakshman wrote: 07 May 2018, 07:30 RSR: rAma nAma bhajisidavage is by Gopaladasa. The two Youtube versions sung by MLV are the same. She sings only one of the three caraNAs (the last one) where Gopala viThala mudra appears. MLV published a book of Purandaradasa songs titled Purandara Mani Malai. It can be downloaded here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/guruguha/MusicRe ... A-0019.pdf
The tunes therein were either tuned by her or by her mother Lalitangi.
There are about 75 songs in darbArikAnaDA. some have been mentioned in earlier posts.
Lakshman_ji,
Thank you very much. I will download the book and read it .
I still tend to believe that at least a few ( about 30) of Purandara dasa sahithyam tunes were by the saint himself and as he was highly venerated in Krishna deeva Raya's times, his numerous disciples would have preserved and propogated them over many dacades by oral tradition.
Do you have any version of the Smt.MS songs ( mentioned in my post) rendered much earlier in the same ragam or in different ragam , by any other artiste?

RSR

Post by RSR »