Can this be Vagadeeshwari

Rāga related discussions
Purist

Can this be Vagadeeshwari

Post by Purist »

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLO ... eep_Kumar/

Above link is of radio programme of V Pradeep Kumar rendering Paramathmudu.
Can someone highlight what exactly he is doing with Vagadeeshwari ragam. Many of
the parayogas don't fit to the raga lakshana. At many places it sounds totally different raga.
While semblance of Harikamboji in the uttarangam is understandable, I find his exposition
quite confusing.

jodha

Re: Can this be Vagadeeshwari

Post by jodha »

At least that is o.k.
But Dr.K.Gokul's reply was horrible.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Purist wrote: 09 May 2018, 11:46 Can someone highlight what exactly he is doing with Vagadeeshwari ragam. Many of
the parayogas don't fit to the raga lakshana. At many places it sounds totally different raga.
While semblance of Harikamboji in the uttarangam is understandable, I find his exposition
quite confusing.
It is an 8 minute alapana. It is a fresh take on the raga. He is focusing on the entire range of the scale - including parts without the Ri.

I am not sure why you think it doesn't fit into the raga lakshana. Sticking to just the phrases with Ri may make the alapana repetitive especially when sung at this length.

What other raga(s) does it sound like? You do seem to allow semblance to Harikambodhi.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

May be uday shankar or Sivaramakrishnan will say something about this.

Purist

Post by Purist »

@#3 sureshvv ; It is not a question of me allowing semblance of Harikamboji. The notes mpdns in both arohanam and avarohanam being same for both ragas,the semblance becomes possible.
I beg to differ on the fact duration of Alapana can allow such transgression.Fresh take on a raga is most welcome, but should
be within its swaroopam. It’s not that vagadeshwari has to be weaved only around Ri as to cause repeatition.
I will try how to figure out posting the points/places of deparature for you to discern.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

What Raga Swaroopa? Actually this is nothing. Sriranjani Santhanagopalan sang a Vachaspathi at MMU the year Sanjay got the SK which went all over the place including forays into Western Classical :D It was on youtube but can't find it now.

Purist

Post by Purist »

sureshvv wrote: 14 May 2018, 09:59 What Raga Swaroopa? Actually this is nothing. Sriranjani Santhanagopalan sang a Vachaspathi at MMU the year Sanjay got the SK which went all over the place including forays into Western Classical :D It was on youtube but can't find it now.
Sorry,SS's music is not my cup of tea, I dont listen.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

I just listened.technically it seems to be o.k.
He tries the mpdns in a kharaharapriya shade and less of harikambodhi.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I think with Melakartha ragas some latitude can be allowed. That is part of the creative nature of alapanas.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

the handling sounds more like desAkshi like in the uttarAngam. Anyways treating "Ga" with independent stance has become fashionable. Here is another instance that was covered.

Dr Pantula Rama states, very difficult to leave "Ga" in vagadhISvari. If you stoop down from "Ga" after standing on it , it is vAdISvari according to me - not even vivAdISvari. The latter carries the vivEka of the elders.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30391

And there is Sanjay's in Dallas. You can read kEdharam's description to get some clues.

Plus from a rasika D - a teacher and a performer.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27469&p=301290