chaturangiNi - Dikshitar

Rāga related discussions
SrinathK

chaturangiNi - Dikshitar

Post by SrinathK »

What would be the name of a rAgA that used all 7 notes and was otherwise similar to kalyANi, but with the key difference that it used D3 instead of D2?

Ans : This. The 66th asampUrna mEla. chaturangiNi.

Now this rAgA is identical to the 66th sampUrna mElakarta chitrAmbari, but this being the Dikshitar school, I am still putting it separately.

Only two kritis of Dikshitar exist in this raga - ekAmranAthEshvarENa and guru guha bhavAntarangiNeem. Of these 2, there is a recording of SRJ mama singing the 2nd one on sangeethapriya tribute pages to Dikshitar, which I am not able to link to as the link doesn't work (do not fear, I have the collection).

The other kriti is available here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlPv9qYMEOo - Only recording of ekAmranAthEshvarENa out there.

These days, this rAgA is being sung for all practical purposes as chitrAmbari - maybe in the future, someone will show us how it used to be - fortunately the SSP has at least one composition for every mEla and janya raga in it's list. At this stage, I would totally not be surprised if it turns out to be different from its sampUrna equivalent.