Karaharapriya

Rāga related discussions
arasi

Post by arasi »

venkatp, :)

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Wondered whether any of you have a clp of the saMkshEpa rAmAyaNa pada varNam, "rAma I vEla" which is set in kharaharapriyA. muktammA renderes this piece occasionally and the notation appears in pancApakEShayyar's varNam book.

gundakriya

Post by gundakriya »

A wonderful rendering of this pada varnam by S. Sowmya is available in a live concert recording released by Carnatica, in the series Sahityanubhava 2004. Incidentally, that is an all-varnam thematic concert. I'm pretty sure Sowmya learnt this varnam from Muktamma.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

I have the varnam - AIR recording of Smt. Brinda. I will have to convert it from tape. Will post it by tomorrow.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Look forward to it.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

Here's Smt. Brinda's rendition of the Samkshepa Ramayana varnam by Thenmadam Varadachari.

http://d.turboupload.com/d/896235/Varna ... a.mp3.html

I found this link with notation for this varnam.

http://www.rit.edu/~pnveme/raga/RamaEev ... im_22.html

Smt. Brinda sings the pallavi as 'Rama neevena rakshakudavani' (atleast I heard it that way) but the website give the pallavi as 'Rama eevela rakshakudavani'.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

knrh05:

knr:

Can't thank you enough for the varNam audio. I was a little surprised the speed at which brindAmmA rendered it considering that element was not a feature of the brinda-mukta school. In fact, they specialized in the chauka kAla sangIta w/ strong emphasis on azhuttam and dwelling on jIva svarAs, svarAksharAs, etc. and less manOdharmam.

I was wondering whether you could share some of brindAmmA's renditions on the vidwan thread. I'll concede it's probably a less travelled genre(they weren't crowd-pullers), but there are quite a number of strong points in their music we could appreciate.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Listen to Karaharapriya from KV Ramanujam (flute):

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/31.S ... 25-7-2006/

Kaumaaram

sriram

Post by sriram »

Would it be possible to get the meaning of nadaci nadaci. Either by word by word or gist. Many a times I have wished I knew some Telugu. Appreciated.
Sriram

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

I heard nedunuri garu renders the kriti "mitri bhAgyamu..." so well. can some one share a recording if available pls....

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

It is told that 'Saama vEdam' is best suited when recited in KKP.

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kumaran,
nanRi!

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

ars

Post by ars »

Has anyone heard this krithi "Peridi Ninnu" in this raga. It sounds quite different or is it that Balamuralikrishna has sung this differently? Anyone else rendition available?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

pEriDi ninu pencinavArevarE is a kRti of tyAgarAja in kharaharapriya

vijayagopal

Post by vijayagopal »

In the name of this raga the first letter is the second (Kha )and not the first (ka) letter from the Ka Varga.
Khara is a donkey.
Khara hara is one who stole the donkey.
Kharahara priya is the favourite thing of the one who stole the donkey.
What does it mean? Is there any legend where a donkey was stolen by any God?
Can nayone elaborate?
Please!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

vijayagopal wrote:In the name of this raga the first letter is the second (Kha )and not the first (ka) letter from the Ka Varga.
Khara is a donkey.
Khara hara is one who stole the donkey.
Kharahara priya is the favourite thing of the one who stole the donkey.
What does it mean? Is there any legend where a donkey was stolen by any God?
Can nayone elaborate?
Please!
khara and dUShaNa were the brothers of rAvaNa slayed by rAma in janasthAna. So this name makes sense. But "khara" prefix was later added to harapriya to make it comply with the kaTapayAdi sUtra.

V_ANNASAMY

Post by V_ANNASAMY »

It is actually HARAPRIYA. Due to katapyAdi sankyA usage, there is a prefix and the raag is called Kharaharapriya. Like MechakalyAni for Kalyani, Dheera Shankarabharanam for Shankarabharanam. Harapriya, obviously, is 'Fond to Shiva.

One more thought : Khara gives a meaning of 'dread/fear' and the raag may mean 'He who is fond of removing fear'.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

drshrikaanth wrote:khara and dUShaNa were the brothers of rAvaNa slayed by rAma in janasthAna. So this name makes sense. But "khara" prefix was later added to harapriya to make it comply with the kaTapayAdi sUtra.
Could that be why tyAgarAja svAmi was the first to sing so many songs in this rAgas, mostly on SrIrAma and ofcourse, one song on kOvurI SrI SundarESvarA?
Is there any legend where a donkey was stolen by any God?
LOL. kazhudai ennum manam. :D

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

drshrikaanth wrote:khara and dUShaNa were the brothers of rAvaNa slayed by rAma in janasthAna. So this name makes sense. But "khara" prefix was later added to harapriya to make it comply with the kaTapayAdi sUtra.
On rAgas like kharaharapriya and gowri manohari, I am inclined to say that the name was coined along with the kaTapayAdi prefix by Govinda (or whoever the inventor of the names was).

-Ramakriya

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear members,
May I have the pleasure in requesting u to view and listen yet another composition In K.Harapriya - on KAANCHI PARAMACHARYA SWAMIGAL- The starting line goes like this"shan KARAHARAPRIYA gurunadane.
Ref.www.karnatik.com This has been rendered by me and Smt.Rajee Gopalakrishnan. ( http://www.karnatik.com/c3515.shtml )
ur feed back is welcome (vageyakara@gmail.com)
Ramaraj

(Moderator edit: Added the direct link to the song )

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

deleted Ref: post no 72 of this thread
Last edited by vageyakara on 08 Aug 2007, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

N.S.Shrinivasan

Post by N.S.Shrinivasan »

Sivaraman wrote:Listen to Pathamadai Mani Sundaram's rendition of the SSI favourite,"Appan Avadharitha Kathamrutham":

http://rapidshare.de/files/18937364/app ... r.mp3.html
CAN WE HERE THIS SONG??

N.S.Shrinivasan

Post by N.S.Shrinivasan »

Is it possible to here this to enjoy the great style of
'Pathamadai Mani Sundaram's '?
OR We can buy the cassete or CD if available.
Pl provide the info to buy.
Regards
N.S.Shrinivasan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

link to a nice poem in this raga by srinivasrgvn
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... by-me.html
Last edited by rajeshnat on 01 May 2009, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo dear Rajesh and other forumites, Please view and listen to two of my compositions in this great Raga:link references:(1)SHANKARA HARA PRIYA - ON PARAMACHARYA -www.karnatik.com/c3515.shtml
(2) HARIHARA TANAYUNI- ON LORD IYAPPA-www.karnatik.com/c3489.shtml
The first one has been sung by aelf and smt.Rajee and the second one by self. Please rfeel free to register ur views.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

RAMARAJ, THANKS. Will hear and reply. I have a doubt. Is Baghavan avadarithar(karaharapriya) your father's composition . forgot the name of the film ,Best wishes. balu gobilalitha
have you confirmed the name of your grandson as SRIHARI?

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Though it is not the comp(Bhagavan Avatharippar )of my father, the tune of yet another composition of my father KARUNAA SAGARANEY has been adopted by the Jupiter picture's filmVAalmiki and it was sung by Honnappa Bhavathar. The name ofmy grandson will be consecrated on the 4th instant.

shankarank

Re: Karaharapriya

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxE3oMOhS0I - Shows the limitation of the rAgA. Don't know if there is a different rendition. This one is very flat when you don't have the right kriti and landings rhythmic coupled with melodic. The rAgA is not dissonant by definition , but can be dissonant in execution. vivAdi rAgas can sound better than this , due to the sound effect created.