Karaharapriya

Rāga related discussions
drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Ram Srinivasan
There is no need to get upset. Simply posting a list of what you have is uncalled for. If you want to share something, please upload and share. And DO discuss. And you have promptly been putting up a list of what you have. Of what use is it to others? Someone who joins the forum in a few months time may stumble upon this thread and find nothing but lists of your collection and a set of dead links. Would that serve any purpose?
Ram Srinivasan wrote:I really thought that I could share carnatic audio/video music which I have in my possession with others in this group.
Well you have not indicated or conveyed this intention anywhere in any of your posts. All you have said is your "projects" of collecting various pieces and the "lists" of what you have. From what you wrote, it appeared that you only wanted to enrich your own collection, wihout sharing your thoughts or your own collection.

People who have been with the forum for long will probably getaway with occasional oneliners, all in context. You have only just come. It is not really fair expect to have all the privileges that some of the older members might have. And if you care to spend some time to look at the magnitude of contibutions of these rasikas who also happen to have written "oneliners" or "Father's day messages", the latter will look utterly inconsequential.

I do hope you will continue to participate in a mutually enriching manner and give more than you receive by way of discussion. if you can contribute clippings, that will be happily received by others.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote:sIta nI samAnamevaru?
Arasi,
Enjoy the answer to your question set to the sweet strains of srIranjanI
http://rapidshare.de/files/28581957/sar ... i.mp3.html

You get bonus points if you identify the singer....

Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

rshankar wrote:You get bonus points if you identify the singer....Ravi
Iam putting my hand up. AM I a participant or just a spectator.;)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

That was just for Arasi!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

:(

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

a wonderful kharaharapriya u/led by coolkarni a while back... :D

http://rapidshare.de/files/28584144/trs ... a.mp3.html

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
You crack me up!
vERu enna kURiyiruppAL pon mEniAL?
"nEnu I lankA paTNamulOnE uNDi pOthAnu" ani...

DRS, Don't you see, the great epic needs to be rewritten at this juncture. You are the expert (Shastrian or dikshitharian?) anyway...
Last edited by arasi on 08 Aug 2006, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

arasi wrote:DRS, Don't you see, the great epic needs to be rewritten at this juncture. You are the expert (Shastrian or dikshitharian?) anyway...
LOL ippuDinkA arthamayindi. okoka sAri nEnu tubelightu ayipOtAnu.

"nannu brOvumani ceppavE sitamma talli" ;)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Hellooooo !!!
ram if you are still there , here is my opinion .
If not , maybe this is useful to others.
None of us like being a moderator.But we have offered our services just for the sake of ensuring that this forum does not go down like others..

Yes , we do frown upon PURE MUSIC SHARING .Reasons are obvious.We dont want to be seen as a forum where music flies across , between various collectors.
What we welcome is , exploiting of a great potential that this forum provides .And that is to give an audio image to what we discuss.
And most of our uploads have to be seen in the context of this added capability to colour our thoughts.
For instance this RTP by Somu adding to your collection , is one step.But my point for putting it ahead of the 14 versions by semmangudi, 12 versions by nednuri ....etc is to provoke members into thinking about the use of such well known opening lines for pallavis.

If you carefully see all my uploads , even for one liners , you will see some method.But that has been my style.

With rapid increase in membership , we do see the need for making adjustments to the needs of newcomers .. but are not perturbed by threats of members moving away from this forum.
People who did that started posting under new IDS and the moderators have taken it all in their stride.
And you would have noticed that If Meena was rude , she would not have enquired about Nikhil Joshi .In fact she did not comment about the forums objectives even then.
Only when you started posting the AS ON DATE LISTING , she ventured to instruct you.And that is something even I , as a new member faced , years ago.
Ah! For some reason My knuckles are hurting today !!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Ram Srinivasan,

You have probably heard answers for your latest message. I just want to emphasize this. All uploads and requests have to be contextual. They should primarily relate to some discussions.

Just opening Karaharapriya thread and asking for all recordings of "Rama Nee Samana" is not a contextual request. Yet people decided to help you with recordings.

And this is how you reward them in return? By accusing them of being rude? If you did not read the forum rules when you registered, please do so atleast now.

http://rasikas.org/misc.php?action=rules

By the way, this topic is about Karaharapriya Raga, and you cannot ask just for uploads of all recordings of one particular kriti here or of one particular singer here, even though it might be indirectly related to this raga. I am going to delete all the unrelated posts here soon to enable people to continue discussing Karaharapriya.

Please let me know if you prefer to still violate forum rules disregarding moderator's requests. Removing people from the forum is not a problem for me, and I dont have to regret removing you if you yourself want to. But I wish people dont jump at the moderators throats without first realizing why the moderators bring things to your attention.

shanks

Post by shanks »

here is another gems if neraval narayanaswamy in karaharapriya - this clipping includes an excellent tani (can u identify the mridangam player - i know who it is)

http://rapidshare.de/files/28664562/pak ... i.mp3.html

mantra

Post by mantra »

Is it Manoj Siva by any chance? It is definitely a student of Raghu Sir or maybe it Raghu Sir himself.
shyam

shanks

Post by shanks »

You are right on the student of Raghu front.
it is Tiruchur Narendran.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

<Coolkarni> I am new member here.I have a request. Can you please gimme more pieces from the Nagpur seshu concert...raghu and harishankar...am a fanatic of Harishankar...thanks

mohan

Post by mohan »

K-ji could you post MLV's alapana in Kharaharapriya preceding this krithi please.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

mohan..will do

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

mr.kulkarni, TNS and Madurai Somasundaram pieces are excellant. very good sould quality. congrats.
Last edited by murthyhmg on 14 Aug 2006, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

there is a rtp in kharaharapriya -pallavi on the lines of rama nee samana...
i dont have any rendering of this krithi by somu

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

venkatpv message to Arasi got lost in the noise. The singer of the shriranjani kriti - it is there for every one to see - in the 'properties' column of hte kriti. Chembai Subramania Bhagavatar.
Last edited by murthyhmg on 14 Aug 2006, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.de/files/29492246/mlv ... g_part.mp3

mohan - here it is (I have just left the preceeding "seve sreekantham "
to stay in the uploaded bit)

arasi

Post by arasi »

murthyhmg,
Thanks for your mentioning venkatpv's post.

venkatpv,
A lovely rendering of a purandara dAsara kriti. Quite an elaborate charaNam!
hADIdavaru yAru? Now, the line reverts to me...

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thank you K-ji!

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

arasi,
TRS is so good at splitting the words correctly.. i guess, thats what makes this rendition extra special...

how about a TRS Kori Sevimpa?? ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

You are right. The pronounciation is impeccable.
Thanks for the offer of kOri sEvimpa by TRS.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

arasi

Post by arasi »

venkatp, :)

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Wondered whether any of you have a clp of the saMkshEpa rAmAyaNa pada varNam, "rAma I vEla" which is set in kharaharapriyA. muktammA renderes this piece occasionally and the notation appears in pancApakEShayyar's varNam book.

gundakriya

Post by gundakriya »

A wonderful rendering of this pada varnam by S. Sowmya is available in a live concert recording released by Carnatica, in the series Sahityanubhava 2004. Incidentally, that is an all-varnam thematic concert. I'm pretty sure Sowmya learnt this varnam from Muktamma.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

I have the varnam - AIR recording of Smt. Brinda. I will have to convert it from tape. Will post it by tomorrow.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Look forward to it.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

Here's Smt. Brinda's rendition of the Samkshepa Ramayana varnam by Thenmadam Varadachari.

http://d.turboupload.com/d/896235/Varna ... a.mp3.html

I found this link with notation for this varnam.

http://www.rit.edu/~pnveme/raga/RamaEev ... im_22.html

Smt. Brinda sings the pallavi as 'Rama neevena rakshakudavani' (atleast I heard it that way) but the website give the pallavi as 'Rama eevela rakshakudavani'.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

knrh05:

knr:

Can't thank you enough for the varNam audio. I was a little surprised the speed at which brindAmmA rendered it considering that element was not a feature of the brinda-mukta school. In fact, they specialized in the chauka kAla sangIta w/ strong emphasis on azhuttam and dwelling on jIva svarAs, svarAksharAs, etc. and less manOdharmam.

I was wondering whether you could share some of brindAmmA's renditions on the vidwan thread. I'll concede it's probably a less travelled genre(they weren't crowd-pullers), but there are quite a number of strong points in their music we could appreciate.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Listen to Karaharapriya from KV Ramanujam (flute):

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/31.S ... 25-7-2006/

Kaumaaram

sriram

Post by sriram »

Would it be possible to get the meaning of nadaci nadaci. Either by word by word or gist. Many a times I have wished I knew some Telugu. Appreciated.
Sriram

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

I heard nedunuri garu renders the kriti "mitri bhAgyamu..." so well. can some one share a recording if available pls....

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

It is told that 'Saama vEdam' is best suited when recited in KKP.

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kumaran,
nanRi!

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

ars

Post by ars »

Has anyone heard this krithi "Peridi Ninnu" in this raga. It sounds quite different or is it that Balamuralikrishna has sung this differently? Anyone else rendition available?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

pEriDi ninu pencinavArevarE is a kRti of tyAgarAja in kharaharapriya

vijayagopal

Post by vijayagopal »

In the name of this raga the first letter is the second (Kha )and not the first (ka) letter from the Ka Varga.
Khara is a donkey.
Khara hara is one who stole the donkey.
Kharahara priya is the favourite thing of the one who stole the donkey.
What does it mean? Is there any legend where a donkey was stolen by any God?
Can nayone elaborate?
Please!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

vijayagopal wrote:In the name of this raga the first letter is the second (Kha )and not the first (ka) letter from the Ka Varga.
Khara is a donkey.
Khara hara is one who stole the donkey.
Kharahara priya is the favourite thing of the one who stole the donkey.
What does it mean? Is there any legend where a donkey was stolen by any God?
Can nayone elaborate?
Please!
khara and dUShaNa were the brothers of rAvaNa slayed by rAma in janasthAna. So this name makes sense. But "khara" prefix was later added to harapriya to make it comply with the kaTapayAdi sUtra.

V_ANNASAMY

Post by V_ANNASAMY »

It is actually HARAPRIYA. Due to katapyAdi sankyA usage, there is a prefix and the raag is called Kharaharapriya. Like MechakalyAni for Kalyani, Dheera Shankarabharanam for Shankarabharanam. Harapriya, obviously, is 'Fond to Shiva.

One more thought : Khara gives a meaning of 'dread/fear' and the raag may mean 'He who is fond of removing fear'.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

drshrikaanth wrote:khara and dUShaNa were the brothers of rAvaNa slayed by rAma in janasthAna. So this name makes sense. But "khara" prefix was later added to harapriya to make it comply with the kaTapayAdi sUtra.
Could that be why tyAgarAja svAmi was the first to sing so many songs in this rAgas, mostly on SrIrAma and ofcourse, one song on kOvurI SrI SundarESvarA?
Is there any legend where a donkey was stolen by any God?
LOL. kazhudai ennum manam. :D

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

drshrikaanth wrote:khara and dUShaNa were the brothers of rAvaNa slayed by rAma in janasthAna. So this name makes sense. But "khara" prefix was later added to harapriya to make it comply with the kaTapayAdi sUtra.
On rAgas like kharaharapriya and gowri manohari, I am inclined to say that the name was coined along with the kaTapayAdi prefix by Govinda (or whoever the inventor of the names was).

-Ramakriya

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Dear members,
May I have the pleasure in requesting u to view and listen yet another composition In K.Harapriya - on KAANCHI PARAMACHARYA SWAMIGAL- The starting line goes like this"shan KARAHARAPRIYA gurunadane.
Ref.www.karnatik.com This has been rendered by me and Smt.Rajee Gopalakrishnan. ( http://www.karnatik.com/c3515.shtml )
ur feed back is welcome (vageyakara@gmail.com)
Ramaraj

(Moderator edit: Added the direct link to the song )

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

deleted Ref: post no 72 of this thread
Last edited by vageyakara on 08 Aug 2007, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

N.S.Shrinivasan

Post by N.S.Shrinivasan »

Sivaraman wrote:Listen to Pathamadai Mani Sundaram's rendition of the SSI favourite,"Appan Avadharitha Kathamrutham":

http://rapidshare.de/files/18937364/app ... r.mp3.html
CAN WE HERE THIS SONG??

N.S.Shrinivasan

Post by N.S.Shrinivasan »

Is it possible to here this to enjoy the great style of
'Pathamadai Mani Sundaram's '?
OR We can buy the cassete or CD if available.
Pl provide the info to buy.
Regards
N.S.Shrinivasan