budharanjani

Rāga related discussions
suma

budharanjani

Post by suma »

Is there a ragam called BuddhaRanjani and is it also referred with another name?
I am looking for Samayamithe - supposed to be in Buddha Ranjani.
Who is the composer for this.
If possible please give the arohana and avarohana for this.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

It is Budharanjani, SRGMPS SPMGRS in shankarabharanam or harikamboji.
Samayamide nannu brochutaku is a Mutthaiah bhagavatar composition.
The raga on shruthibhedam at Pa gives Kunthalavarali.
There are commercial recordings of DKJayaraman and L. subrahmanyam and brothers.
Last edited by keerthi on 27 Nov 2008, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

suma

Post by suma »

Thank you so much Keerthi.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

Dear All:

This krithi "Samayamithe nannu brochutaku" by Muthiah Bagavathar is in Budhamanohari.

Regards

Guru
29-Nov-08

suma

Post by suma »

What is the arohana and avaroha for Budhamanohari?

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

The scale of Budhamanohari is SR2G3M1SPS / SPM1G3R2S. This is a Janya of 29th Mela Dheera Sankarabharanam.

Regards

Guru
30-Nov-08

suma

Post by suma »

Dear Guru Sir
Thank you very much for the help
Sincerely,
Suma

SrinathK

Re: budharanjani

Post by SrinathK »

@RasikasModerator2, Do change the title to budharanjani.

While there has been some mix-ups between budhamanohari and budharanjani, the two ragas are actually quite different. budharanjani is also a scalar raga, a janya of shankarAbharaNam and it goes like this :

A: S R2 G3 M1 P S
Av: S N3 P M1 G3 M1 R2 S

Only one kriti of Mysore Vasudevacharya is available on the karnatik.com list (which is what I'm following for bringing the raga threads back to life) - karuninchi brOva rAda.

I was able to find only one recording of this kriti by Veena Shanti Rao here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkLHGkNTIeg - from her own Youtube channel.

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

It has been changed now. Please note, that some old threads that have been migrated to the current forum have some issues in that the name of the thread does not appear in the old reply posts. However it will appear when people start replying to them now.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Shrinathk: The information at Karnatik.com is incorrect. The song karuNinca brOvarAda is by Vasudevachar and the ArOhaNa/avarOhaNa are correct but the rAgA is listed wrong. It should have been bangALa. I checked with both the Telugu versions and the English versions of his compositions and there is no song by him in budharanjani.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Lakshman wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 18:09 Shrinathk: The information at Karnatik.com is incorrect. The song karuNinca brOvarAda is by Vasudevachar and the ArOhaNa/avarOhaNa are correct but the rAgA is listed wrong. It should have been bangALa. I checked with both the Telugu versions and the English versions of his compositions and there is no song by him in budharanjani.
But this veena recording however is not in bangAla. The GMR phrase has replaced MRGR and there is no PMR phrase either.

Yes, apart from this, both ragas are near identical.

Now that you mentioned it - there is a bangAla version of this kriti by Dr. Nagavalli Nagaraj (who did her Ph.D on Mysore Vasudevacharya kritis). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPiXXsP85d4 - I could not find any other recording.

Retuinitis?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here are the scales for the two rAgAs. p is for Palaiyazhi and rp is for rAgapravAham.

bangALa--28--S R G M P S--S N P M R G R S--rp--N
bangALa--28--S R G M P M R P S--S N P M R G R S--rp--R
bangALa--28--S R G M R P S--S N D N P M G R S--rp--R
bangALa--28--S R G M P S--S N P M R G R S--rp--R
bangALa--28--S R G M N P S--S N P M R G R S--p--TAS
bangALa--28--S R G M P M R P S--S N P M R G R S--p--PS

budharanjani--29--S R G M P S--S N P M G M R S--p--PS