Please let the admin know if you face any errors.

Structuring a Korvai in the thani

Tālam & Layam related topics
Ranganator

Re: Structuring a Korvai in the thani

Post by Ranganator » 01 Jan 2017, 21:17

Namaskaram to all. I am a new entrant to this forum. I learned mridangam for three years and have covered the basics of adi, Rupali and Misra chaps talas in the process. Sri Mannarkoil Balaji's posts have been very helpful in my understanding of korvais.
This was the korvai I was taught in adi talam:
Thith tham kitathakatharikitathaka thalanguthom
Thakathom tham kitathakatharikitathaka thalanguthom
Thith tham kitathakatharikitathaka thom
Thakathom tham kitathakatharikitathaka thom
Tha ki ta thom (1 1/2 avarthanam)
Tha thi gi na thom
Tha thi gi na thom
Tha thi gi na thom||thith
Each round of this korvai lasts for two avarthanams. Could someone please explain the classification of this into poorvanga, madhyanga and Uttaranga and the mathematics of the same?

Ranganator

Post by Ranganator » 01 Jan 2017, 21:18

Sorry, that was a typo. Rupaka not Rupali.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam » 11 Mar 2017, 08:28

Sir

The Korvai mentioned by you does not fall under "Lakshana" korvais discussed here. That one comes under the category of "lakshya korvais" and hence it is not possible to split the purvanga and utharanga.

Probably thaki ta thom tha dhi gi na thom, tha dhi gina thom , tha dhi gi na thom could be taken as a utharanga and the preceding portion could be taken as a purvanga.

J Balaji

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam » 12 Mar 2017, 06:48

The resurrection of this thread prompted me to find the mp3 files that Sri. Balaji provided and uploaded them to Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The file name has the number of the post where that Korvai snippet was transcribed. Unfortunately the post numbers are not displayed. When I have time, I will provide the mapping of files to posts and even better place the link to individual mp3 in the respective posts. Feel free to beat me to it if you have the time, motivation and energy ( I can edit the posts easily if I have the mapping of mp3s to posts )

Ranganator

Post by Ranganator » 22 Mar 2017, 13:11

Thanks sir. But what is the difference between Lakshana korvais and lakshya korvais?