Confusion about keeping taalam for jantavarisai

Tālam & Layam related topics
sreevin25

Post by sreevin25 »

Hi All

There seems to be some confusion about keeping taalam for jantavarisai -

I have learnt in the fashion where

s s r r g g m m p p d d n n s s
- each letter above is one beat , so s s r r finishes at laghu (middle finger) and g g m m ends at dhrutam and so on and so forth

but another source of mine says each beat need to be done 2 times -
so, its actually s s r r (ends at little finger) g g m m finishes at laghu (ending at middle finger)

Now, which is right?

I hope my query is clear.

Regards
Sree

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I have not checked any books but I think the general pattern in early lessons is, to keep things simple, one note is allocated to a beat and that is called first speed. In second speed you sing two notes per beat, in third speed you sing 4 notes per beat, etc.

Code: Select all

First Speed - One  Note Per Beat

1    |   2    |   3    |   4    |   5    |   6    |   7    |   8    ||
 s        s        r         r         g        g        m        m    
 p        p        d        d         n        n        S        S    

Code: Select all

Second speed - Two Notes Per Beat

1     |   2    |   3      |   4      |   5     |   6     |   7      |   8    ||
   ss       rr        gg        mm         pp        dd        nn        SS 

sreevin25

Post by sreevin25 »

Hi

I should have mentioned abt the speed in my query below. They are sung in first speed.

For eg : what I learnt was - s s r r g g m m -> palm, lil finger, ring finger, middle finger, palm, open palm, close palm , open palm
and repeat the same for p p d d n n s s too

But other variation what I was told was that -> s s r r g g m m p p d d n n s s -> palm, palm, lil finger, lil finger, ring finger, ring finger, middle finger, middle finger, palm, palm, open palm, open palm, close palm ,close palm , open palm, open palm

And this style seems to be only for jantavarisai.

I hope I made my query clear this time.

Regards
Sree

msakella

Post by msakella »

While ordinary Saralees, daatus and Alankaras could be rendered @ one note per beat in the 1st degree, 2 notes per beat in the 2nd degree and 4 notes per beat in the 3rd degree Janta-svaras must be rendered @ two notes per beat in the 1st degree, 4 notes per beat in the 2nd degree and 8 notes per beat in the 3rd degree. amsharma

sreevin25

Post by sreevin25 »

thanks Mr.Sharma! so, does that mean we still need to tap each beat twice or its just sung 2 letters per beat (for first speed).
And I am just curious as to why certain teachers teach it in a different fashion - would u be able to tell which is the right method to teach?

Regards
Sree

mohan

Post by mohan »

sreevin it is just two letters per beat for the first beat (jantai varasai). All the varasais are in 1-kalai so no need to tap twice.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, sreevin25, You have to render one Janta-svara or pair of two notes per each beat in the first degree of speed. You need not render each beat twice. This is the right method, In our great country every artist or teacher takes the liberty of doing things in his own way according to his capacity and fancy but declares it as a tradition. This is the tradition. Even in the interest of our own kids if everybody feels it as his duty to give them anything without any ambiguity the image of our country changes by overnight. But who bells the cat?!!! amsharma