A Rhythm Cycle of 2+3+3

Tālam & Layam related topics
Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

msakella wrote:Dar brother-member, Vijayakumar, Today only I have seen your post. Extremely sorry for the inordinate delay in replying to your post. My Lec-dem in the Music Academy, Chennai is scheduled from 9.25 am to 10.15 am on 31-12-2009. amsharma
Sir i would like to make a humble request on behalf of all keen rasikas/music students/teachers and performers.
If you do not mind can you please record your lec dem and share with us. If it will be distracting to you can you please give permission to someone on this forum so that those of us that cant make it due to our geographic status can also benefit from this lec-dem and also so it can be saved .

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, Rasika911, You should not request me, dear, you can certainly demand for it and I shall certainly fulfill your demand with pleasure. Some of our friends of the forum have already asked me for this (being old enough I don’t remember from which thread it is) and me too agreed to do the needful in this connection. If at all the authorities of the Music Academy record it I shall try to get a copy of it and upload it. However, as you truly wrote, this work will distract me to do my talk. So, it will be more convenient if one of our forumites arrange to record it and upload it. If it is possible kindly try to entrust this to somebody. If it truly benefits our people I never have any objection to record it. In fact, always my struggle is to benefit our people in every possible way. That’s all. amsharma

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Why don't you make it tishra matyam with an eduppu at third beat? :)

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

violinvicky wrote:Dear Members:

If I set rhythm to a song with the pattern "Tha Ka | Tha Ki Da | Tha Ki Da" (i.e., total of 8 counts) with the strong beats at the count 1, 3 and 6, should I still call it Aadhi talam ?

Please note that, this is a case where the cycle is not divided for experimental purpose, but a whole song is composed with this Sandham (meter);

By that I mean:
1. The rhythm religiously follow the loop of "1 2 | 1 2 3| 1 2 3 " for the duration of complete song
2. Lyrics are written with the same meter; i.e., 3 words in each line; First word measuring 2 Aksharams; Second and third Word measuring 3 Aksharams each.

Crudely put I would like to define this Talam as: 0 1 1 with the lagu of Tisra Jadhi (i.e., one Dhrutham followed by 2 lagus each of 3 aksharams);

But clearly this is not a valid tala that can be defined in the usual 35.

1. Does any Tala already exist with the pattern: 0 1 1 (May be an Anga Talam or so) ? If not, is one allowed to create such a Tala?
2. OR just because the cycle ultimately has 8 aksharams it must be called as Aadhi Talam only ?
this is a variant of Adi tALa, and a similar pattern can be observed in some songs - The paras jAvaLi 'emi jEyudu' and tyAgarAja's Sarasangi piece 'Menu jUci mOsabOkavE' follow a laya pattern of takita-takita-taka, which is kind of like your rhythm sequence.

menu jUci begins after a takita gap, while Emi jEyudu is after a ta (two akshara-s?)

SrinathK

Re:

Post by SrinathK »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 07 Nov 2009, 21:35 Akellaji: Understood. Thanks for the further clarification.

I am also curious about the more general topic. Arithmetically speaking, what makes the thala like Simhanandana well disciplined (and a thala like Sharabhanandana not well disciplined)?
Is it because the beat count number has some arithmetical properties that enable it to be expressed as a sum of the various talanga beat count numbers?
I finally have an answer for you vk. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31432&p=339721&hili ... na#p339721

vasanthakokilam

Re: A Rhythm Cycle of 2+3+3

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Got it Srinath. Great answer.