Dvitala avadhanam thani

Tālam & Layam related topics
babaji

Post by babaji »

Has anyone tried this already?

For a dvitala avadhanam pallavi wherein the pakkavadyams play thani, have they ever taken turns in playing for the two different tala gathis however, they both correspond to the same number of aksharas but playing for two different talas is anyway different.

Has this concept ever been tried publicly before. Because i thought that would be challenging and interesting.

Also members will have to forgive me i have'nt listened and for that matter seen much of dvitala avadhanam pallavi concerts except some by veterans. which i consider not enough.

Nandri vanakkam.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

babaji,

See if this makes sense.

1) When you said "for the two different tala gathis", if you are using the word "gathi" in its technical meaning, the following applies.

If the two thalas differ only in the anga structure, then it does not matter. Because, to the percussionist what matters is the Nadai and the avarthanam length ( and arudhi where it matters ). The anga structure is really not significant to them. This is what I learnt from others in this forum.

The percussionists play different combinations anyway in every thani even for the normal single thala ones. The two percussionists can play in different gathis/nadais if they like but usually they switch gathi together, I think.

2) If you use the word "gathi" in a technical sense, then that means that two thalas in different gathis map to the same song. The sub-beat duration is different for the two thalas. Then the two percussionists can each stick to one gathi and when the turn happens, there will be a perceptible difference. That will be interesting.

babaji

Post by babaji »

Yes VKV what you said is exactly what i meant. That as long as the mridangist and the upa pakkavadya play to the difference in talas and also the gathi changes of the two talas.

I have never seen anybody play Thani avarthanam for such pallavi exercises.
Last edited by babaji on 06 Jan 2010, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.