TALAPRASTHARA ( Combinatorics)

Tālam & Layam related topics
violinvicky

Post by violinvicky » 07 Nov 2009, 02:03

Dear Sharma Sir:

I am going through this thread from the first page. What I find is that many of your responses are truncated halfway through; The posts stop abruptly.. Therefore I miss the complete picture and am not able to understand the basics that you have explained on the subject of 'Talaprastara'.

Are these responses copied from some other thread into here..? Is there another location where the discussions are available in full..?

Following are the examples of incomplete responses that I am referring to:

"to obtain the above two key-figures, Sankhya and Mahapatala and to obtain the" .........?
"sing order of value i.e., by permuting 1-unit we will get only" .......?
"I would like to tell you another easy method. While permuting the figure" ...........?

So what should I do see the complete text of each post ..? Please Help..

With Love
Vicky
Last edited by violinvicky on 07 Nov 2009, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam » 07 Nov 2009, 04:52

Vicky: There is some past data corruption history.

Please post the references to the posts that are truncated to this thread: http://rasikas.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... reads.html

The admin will see if it can be recovered.
0 x

msakella

Post by msakella » 07 Nov 2009, 06:44

Dear brother-member, violinvicky, Previously me too find many of my posts are truncated and reported to the administration. But I did not get any reply.. Later, I almost forgot that and did not review the position.

But, as I have always been used to save everything of all my posts and as I have already saved entire material in my computer, if you want and if you giv e me your email address I shall certainly send it to you by email. amsharma
0 x

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat » 07 Nov 2009, 12:27

msakella garu
If you have saved each and every post ,then you can edit and repost it too sir.
0 x

msakella

Post by msakella » 07 Nov 2009, 12:54

Dear brother-member, rajeshnat, At this age I do not have that much patience to edit the entire file. More over, every time it is truncated I cannot replay the same. Instead it is more easy to send it by email. That why I wrote accordingly. amsharma
0 x

violinvicky

Post by violinvicky » 08 Nov 2009, 07:33

Dear VK:
I have alerted the moderator on the "report truncation" thread.

Dear Sharma sir:

My email id is: [email protected]
I would be grateful if you can send me the original text to this email address. Thanks once again.

With Love
Vicky
0 x

msakella

Post by msakella » 08 Nov 2009, 07:50

Dear brother-member, violinvicky, Just now I have sent two files on Talaprastara to your email address. Kindly acknowledge the same. amsharma
0 x

violinvicky

Post by violinvicky » 09 Nov 2009, 04:08

Dear Sharma Sir:

Yes. I have received your email with the attachments in tact. I will now start to learn the concepts from the basics and will certainly ask my doubts.

Sir, I have no words to thank Your service for a generation of new Carnatic musical learners such as myself.

With Love
Vicky
0 x

msakella

Post by msakella » 09 Nov 2009, 07:07

Dear brother-member, violinvicky, This is our culture and every Indian must always work hard to keep it in tact. That’s what I am able to do by the grace of the Almighty. Nothing else great. I shall be extremely happy if you too learn it fully and pass it on to our kids. It is not that hard to learn this topic as many others think. Chi. Vinay Sharva, a Bangalore-kid based in Chicago had swallowed the entire topic within four days only which took four decades of my life. You can also do so. Never hesitate to ask me any detail of it. I am always ready to help you. With all best wishes, amsharma
0 x

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam » 09 Nov 2009, 11:01

>Chi. Vinay Sharva, a Bangalore-kid based in Chicago had swallowed the entire topic within four days only which took four decades of my life.

Sharmaji, you are in great company. When I read the above statement of yours, I was immediately reminded of what I once read about Ptolemy. He spent a few decades trying to understand what Hipparchus, Menelaus, etc. wrote about Trigonometry. He cleared up all the confusion, cleaned it up and wrote his own book. His Shishya spent 10 years learning it from him. These are now taught in one semester to 10th standard students. But that is all possible because of the giants like Ptolemy ( and early Indian mathematicians too who had worked on Trigonometry ) on whose shoulders we stand. That is the same case with your tireless life long work on Talaprasthara.
0 x

msakella

Post by msakella » 09 Nov 2009, 13:56

Dear brother-member, vasanthakokilam, I have passed Diploma in Music (Violin) from Andhra University in 1959. In 1961 I have appeared for an Interview for the post of Lecturer in Violin in the Govt. College of Music & Dance, Hyderabad. I may be playing well but even without any teacher-training-certificate (in those days nowhere music-teacher-training-course was available) they have appointed me in that post which helped only to successfully ruin many of the Violin aspirants for nearly 15 years. Later, I woke up a little, and then onwards my teaching abilities gradually increased by 1% yearly in a negative music environment. On the date of retirement in 1996, I can now assess, my teaching ability was not more than 20% while 35% is the minimum pass-mark. More over, adding fuel to the fire, as per our country-wide tradition, since last more than 50 years there was no academic supervision at all upon the teaching staff of the music departments or music colleges. At this juncture, just imagine the fate of my aspirants in the hands of such infficient teacher like me. However, I am successfully retired without any harm. By all this, I felt very bad of my past, and been struggling hard to rectify all my deffects and serve the kids of our music efficiencly to the maximum until my last breath. By the grace of the Almighty I am able to do so in so many ways. amsharma
0 x

kraig

Post by kraig » 09 Nov 2009, 17:11

Thank you so much for enlightening myself on the subject of Talaprasthara. I first came to this sequence of post just days ago and was having much problem because the chart was missing. I am happy to see it there now. I did attempt to figure out as much as i could. In the process I created a few charts which while they do not coincide with the one put you have so kindly provided i thought i would share as it shows it in a slightly different way that might or might not be useful. I hope i do not show disrepect by doing so.
http://anaphoria.com/tala6.gif
0 x

msakella

Post by msakella » 09 Nov 2009, 21:19

The mode of writing this table is furnished somewhere in these posts. You can follow that if you need. If you are unable to locate that I shall guide you, if you need. amsharma
0 x

Chandrashekar

Post by Chandrashekar » 03 Dec 2009, 12:51

Sorry to butt in with an off-topic comment. I was just skimming through this thread ("skimming" because of my extremely limited understanding of all these detailed discussions). But, seeing the dialogue between Sharmaji and sbala reminded me of Adi Shankaracharya's great work "Vakya Vritti" where the Guru responds to the Shishya's questions to help him progressively along the path to reaching his goal (in that case, ultimately realising "Aham Brahmasmi" by himself). This is really a great thread, in the highest traditions of our Guru-Shishya parampara, and I hope more people will gain from all the efforts that have clearly gone into it.
0 x

msakella

Post by msakella » 04 Dec 2009, 12:04

Dear brother-member, Chandrashekhar, Thank you for your supportive comments. Aspirants to break this hardnut are gradually increasing, amsharma
0 x

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam » 04 Dec 2009, 20:23

>But, seeing the dialogue between Sharmaji and sbala reminded me of Adi Shankaracharya's great work "Vakya Vritti" where the Guru responds to the Shishya's questions to help him progressively
>along the path to reaching his goal

Well said Chandrashekar. That is quite true. Sharmaji is a great teacher. sbala jumped in with great enthusiasm. We not only learn from Gurus but from "students" as well.
0 x

Member_First

Post by Member_First » 22 Dec 2009, 09:57

We not only learn from Gurus but from "students" (piluthams..) as well.
Last edited by Member_First on 22 Dec 2009, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

SrinathK

#143 Re: TALAPRASTHARA ( Combinatorics)

Post by SrinathK » 02 Sep 2013, 07:22

Dear sir, where may I get the books of yours, namely, 'Indian Genius in tala prasthara,' ‘Permutative genius in Tala Prasthara in Indian music' and ‘Tala prasthara of Sarngadeva's Sangita Ratnakara.' as well ‘Sangeetha Swararaga Sudha'. (The last one is on sangeethapriya I know, but I need a hardcopy for myself). If it is currently available in Chennai, I may be able to get them when I go there next time. Otherwise I could order them online.
0 x

msakella

#144 Re: TALAPRASTHARA ( Combinatorics)

Post by msakella » 02 Sep 2013, 14:32

Dear brother-member, SrinathK, The titles, Talaprastarasagaram (Telugu) and Permutative Genius in Talaprastara in Indian Music (English) are the first ever publications on this rare topic by Sangita Academy of Andhra Pradesh and Telugu University respectively to whom I have given the right of publication of these books. Later, in the NTR Government, unlike in any other State in our country, all the Academies have been merged in Telugu University. When, in my extensive research, 80% of the subject of Talaprastara has been increased I have requested the authorities of the Telugu University to re-print them at the earliest while I am alive. Unfortunately, due to the local dirty politics, as usual, they did not respond at all positively (being straight forward, I had many such bitter experiences all along my life). Then, as more than 80% of the matter of them has been increased, I re-wrote them and published them on my own changing the titles Talaprastara Ratnakaram (Telugu) and Indian genius in Talaprastara (English).

Thus, now, the new titles are only available. Among them Indian genius in Talaprastara (English) and later publications, Talaprastara of Nisshanka Sharngadeva’s Sangita Ratnakara-a critical interpretation (English) and Systematisation of Prastara details of Deshi Talas (English) are available with Karnatic music book centre, Chennai. Sangita Svararaga Sudha (English) is also available with them. You can book them even online.

If you are a resident of US I shall give you another US-address to get all these books. amsharma
0 x

SrinathK

#145 Re: TALAPRASTHARA ( Combinatorics)

Post by SrinathK » 07 Jan 2015, 22:15

Happy to say that I got hold of the 1st book this music season at the book centre. :D
0 x

msakella

#146 Re: TALAPRASTHARA ( Combinatorics)

Post by msakella » 08 Jan 2015, 04:56

Dear brother-member, SrinathK,

Hearty congratulations, dear. There are two more books to get (1.Indian Genius in Talaprastara, 2.Talaprastara of Nisshanka Sharngadeva’s Sangita Ratnakara and 3.Systematisation of Prastara Details of Deshi Talas). Don’t worry, if you tell me where you reside I may be able to find any easy way to get them.

Not only in getting them you can also learn it very easily. Our people are very great in making everything difficult but not in making easy even for our own kids. It took me 40 years to get it out fully but I was able to give it to a kid from Bangalore in 40 hours, working from 7 am to 11 pm daily for 4 days with a recess for meals, refreshments and others. It is not that easy to follow that book. Just to give everything out what I came to know I was compelled to write these books in a particular manner in those days and, now at this old age, I cannot rewrite them. But, believe it or not, in the meantime I have found many easy methods for many things to give them out. Very sadly, people are unable to believe me due to their own ego. Their ego is not allowing them even to sit together and discuss things even for the betterment of our own kids and art. That is the pity of our people. We can’t help. amsharma
0 x