Talaprasthara (Combinatorics)

Tālam & Layam related topics
msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear member, sbala, No deviation at all. Later you may forget to ask this. This is only to share our ideas with all our Indian brothers and sisters. Sometimes we may be wrong, I can’t say. Better to clear off our doubts at the earliest.
In the context of Pallavis - in Anuloma the lyric of the Pallavi should be sung in obverse order, in Viloma the lyric of the Pallavi should be sung in reverse order and in Pratiloma the lyric of the Pallavi should be sung in a single speed but the Tala should be rendered in three speeds. Even though, presently, I am unable to recollect, some more technical terms are there in this context about which I shall define them later if I can recollect them. amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Dear Sharmaji,
Could you give some examples to illustrate these concepts? I don't understand how a lyric can be sung in reverse order and yet make sense.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear member, sbala, I recollect that, many years back, I read some where about such Viloma Sahitya composed by our Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer, the great but, I do not remember the exact lyric as my main concentration has always been on Talaprastara for more than four decades. Also there are two kinds in singing Viloma like that, one kind is of singing lyric like ‘Vi-Ka-Ta-Ka-Vi’ and second one is of singing notation ‘RGMDNDMGR’ in Kalyani-raga. Among them Viloma Sahitya is still more difficult. While all the people remain under the control of language we come across a very few people under whom the language itself remains under their control. Such people only can do such incredible things. amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Dear Sharmaji,
In another thread, you pointed out that thalams containing Samyuktangas should not be peformed as it contradicts the other requirements that the first kriya of any anga should be sounded. What is the purpose of Samyuktanga if it cannot be rendered?
Last edited by sbala on 14 Mar 2007, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

sbala

Post by sbala »

msakella wrote:In 2-7-1-1-12 the permutation ‘S’0’ becomes the 9th but not 11th. Please note.
Sharmaji, I have made the change.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear member, sbala, For example, in 6-units’ permutation of Samyuktanga-prastara consisting of Sankhya of ‘32’, in Trisra-jati the 2nd, 3rd, 4th , 9th, 17th, 18th & 25th permutations,
in Chaturashra-jati the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th , 13th, 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 26th & 29th permutations, in Khanda-jati the
1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 25th, 26th & 29th permutations, in Mishra & Sankeerna-jatis the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 25th, 26th & 29th permutations carry Samyuktangas and these rhythmical forms should not be used as Talas but as mathematical forms in Svarakalpana. The rhythmical forms incorporating Samyuktangas can only be used in Svarakalpana for mathematical purpose but not as Talas. After having gone through the different processes of permutation, I hope, now, you can understand this. amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Dear Sharmaji,
The reason why it cannot be used in thala is because the first kriya of every anga has to be sounded and in case of samyuktangas that rule will be violated. Is that right? I'm interested to know the application of talaprastara to kalpanaswaras. Is it too early or can we discuss the same?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear member, sbala, You caught the point, while rendering any Samyuktanga the established rule has to be violated. That is why Samyuktangas should never be rendered at all.
Any thing must have relevancy with the present day life. Now, if is the time to discuss about this relevancy of this topic, Talaprastara, in our present day life. Even though many are not at all aware of it, Talaprastara has great relevancy with our Svarakalpana. Please go through the contents of the pages from x to xv of the Prologue of my book, Talaprastara Ratnakara and sing all the 25 varieties of 16-units furnished there along with the rhythmical form, its authentic serial number, Jati and notation of the rhythmical form to be used in our Svarakalpana. amsharma.

ram

Post by ram »

Dear Sri msakella,

This thread is so educative and that too on a topic that is very hard to find even in many of the books. I don't know how I did not go through this for all the time this thread has been in existence now. I had bought two of your books from Karnatic Music Book Center as soon as I landed in Chennai a few months back but then have not had a chance to go through them till now. I think the time has come to take them out and also read this thread in detail. I hope it is ok to trouble you with any questions I might have.

Thank you so much for your efforts to educate us.

Regards,
Ram

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear member, ram, Glad to know that you are interested in learning Talaprastara. Welcome. As I have taken the propagation of the easy methods in singing Svarakalpana and Ragalapana and Talaprastara as a mission of life, I am always ready to help you in every manner in learning this topic, Talaprastara with pleasure. No trouble at all. I have written 3 books on Talaprastara and they all are available in Karnatic Music Book Centre, Chennai. You take the 3rd book also. Mr. sbala, the Chennai-based brother-member of our forum had started learning this topic and covered much of it. You can take his g-mail address from this forum profiles and contact him to learn from him in person what he had already learnt.
amsharma.

ram

Post by ram »

Thank you Sri msakella.

In fact I still recall the day I came to Chennai a few months back. I had gone to Karnatic Music Book Center and asked him if he has books on tala and tala numbers. I had tried going through a version of "Sangeetha Ratnakara" I had bought earlier but it was not very explanatory and was confusing too. He showed me a few that talked about the basic 35 talas. When I asked him if there is some treatise on talas, he showed me two books and said this is very good research material of very advanced nature. I bought them immediately but never got a chance to sit down and go through the material in detail. Little did I know back then that I would get a chance to interact with the author of the books himself in a helpful and educative forum like this !!

(When I read from cover of one of the books that you were a violin vidwan, the first thought that came to my mind was that many percussion artists do not even seem to care about knowing details of talas and tala numbers and how strange it was that a violin vidwan was researching this topic and publishing on the same)

sbala

Post by sbala »

Ram,
Welcome to the thread! I'm sure with your knowledge of music, you can ask deeper questions and contribute more .

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear member, ram, Felt glad to go through your last post and to note the contents. As per a saying in Sanskrit - ‘Kshanashah Kanashachaiva Vidya Dhanamaarjayet’- one should always remain in the process of acquiring knowledge and money at the rate of one atom each second. Thus, knowledge should always be acquired and be distributed at all times by all. Then only our community flourishes. The Almighty had driven me into this rarest topic, Talaprastara of our Indian music and also blessed me with all the required devotion, patience and perseveration along with all the latent secrets of it which have never been brought out by any author of any century. But, it took four decades of my life and I don’t want to let any other brother/sister Indian struggle for his life to get it like me. That is why I have taken the propagation of this topic as a mission of my life. You people all must learn this rarest topic fully to pass on our cultural heritage to the posterity. Wishing you all the best, amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Dear Sharmaji,
I have attempted to give a logical explanation of why the method of computation of Sankhya works as some people might be wondering about proxies and why we need to add them. Let me know if this explanation is right or if I need to modify anything.

Logical Justification of Sankhya computation.

Number of permutations of N units= Sum of the (Number of permutations ending with a particular anga) ,for all the angas that are part of the prastara.

Number of permutations of N units ending with a particular anga=Number of permutations of (N - the value of the anga) using all the angas which will correspond to the Sankhya of (N- value of anga) units.

This is the reason why we sum the relevant proxies for Sankhya to get the total number of permutations.
Last edited by sbala on 17 Mar 2007, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear member, sbala, I am now 70 years of age and nowadays I do not want to think much about things and to retain them in my mind. But, as I always want to give away the knowledge blessed by the Almighty to my brothers and sisters until my last breath, I am trying my level best to do the same. At the same time, as I am not much educated like you all, at this juncture I cannot and do not want to try to understand more than what I need. Please don’t mistake me. In respect of these applications, as a highly educated person, you can try all kinds of logics to make it easier, understandable and digestible to the aspirants as you yourself should propagate this topic. amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

No problem Sharmaji. I'm just trying to present the same information in a different format so that others who come from a similar background like me may read this thread later and understand. Though, I have to admit, you have presented the information in the simplest fashion possible. Infact, the way you have presented the information in this forum is much easier to understand than even the book. In that sense, we are all lucky!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Chi. sbala dear, I feel extremely glad to know that you have started trying to distribute what you have already acquired in respect of Talaprastara in your own way just like a true soldier
of Talaprastara. While I am the senior most soldier, you are the junior soldier and our another brother-member, ram is the junior-most soldier. Irrespective of the capacity we all are the soldiers of Talaprastara Army. Just like in which way our entire Indian community is safe under the most vigilant brother-Indian-soldiers of our country we, the soldiers of Talaprastara Army also should always remain vigilant in enlightening our Indian brothers and sisters in this aspect and also to strive hard to keep it intact and pass on this great Indian culture to posterity. We all have to work hard in letter and spirit. Then only our great Indian culture remains alive perennially and survives. OK. Wishing you all the best, amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Logical Proof for the method of computing Sankhya.

As can be seen from the process, the Sankhya for a given numberof units can be expressed as a sum of the Sankhya of lower number of units. The lower units to be chosen would vary from one pratara to another and depends on whether it is Akhanda or Khanda. For instance, if we want the details of the Druta-Meru prastaras for 0, 1 and 2 drutas.

To find the number of permutations of n units containing 0 drutas, it is clear that we need worry about only laghu, guru and kakapada ending permutations with no drutas which are the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th proxies. We should not count the first proxy as it denotes the number of druta ending permutations that contains 0 drutas which does not make sense. This is the reason why we sum the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th proxies for Duruta meru with 0 drutas in Pancanga Khanda Prastara.

Druta Meru for 1 Druta
Here, we have to find the number of permutations of n units using one Druta. All the permutations have to end with one of the possible angas. If we look at the number of druta ending permutations, that is the same as number of permutations of (n-value of druta) using 0 drutas. This is the reason we look at the first proxy in the lower line for this permutation and not on the same line.

Similarly, for the laghu ending permutations, we have to look at the number of permutations of 2nd proxy (n-value of laghu) units using 1 druta. This is on the same line and is nothing but the 2nd proxy.

Similarly, the same logic can be extended to 2-DCP as well.
Last edited by sbala on 18 Mar 2007, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear member, sbala, I am damn tired of my life after having spent four decades of my life on this very heavy strenuous research on this topic, Talaprastara. You do not know that, at last, I have reached a saturating point of research of this topic which was ending every time I try to think with my head with terrible heat and loosing the vision of my eyes for some minutes. There I was compelled to stop. That is why I always think that the Almighty blessed me with every thing of it but permitted me to solve 99.9% of this topic and this saturating point lies beyond that. I shall explain this to you when we meet in person, if you remind me. So, you please proceed with all this logical applications of it. I am already exhausted myself to the saturating point and cannot further concentrate upon any such thing. Try to proceed with the Nashta, Uddishta and Kalita of Khanda-prastara also with the help of my book. Wishing you all the best, amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Dear Sharmaji,
I will try to cover the book as soon as possible. As I said earlier, I'm posting the logical explanations only for other members who might read this in the future, to understand the topic from a mathematical perspective and not for any other reason.

ram

Post by ram »

sbala,

Though Sri msakella has explained everything in a easy-to-understand manner, please continue with your logical explanations too, if possible. When I was going through the process of permutations the other day, I was trying to derive a formula for sankhya and mahapatala calculation and just when I had done that and went a few posts ahead, I found you had already posted the same. I could have readily used your formula.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Ram,
I gave the formula only for Samyuktanga. You could derive them for the other prastaras. My only fear is Math drives people away and that's why I stick to wordy explanations.

listener

Post by listener »

All,

I just finished going through this topic...

For those (engineers/mathematicians)well acquainted with the binary system and the language of computation, I found that the Nashta, Uddhishta and Kalita computation for the Samyuktanga prastara can be easily summerized:

Samyuktanga Nashta/Uddhishta computation:

To obtain the constituent figures of the 'm'th permutation of 'n' units:

Write m-1 in binary form. Append the requisite number of zeros to make it a (n-1)-bit number. Consider the resulting representation as a string. Reverse it (eg., 00110101 -> 10101100). From the resulting string, form another string, by replacing every '0' in the original string with a '1' and every '1' in the original string with a '+1'. Append a '1' to the left of this string. This string will contain the angas separated by a '+' sign.

Eg.,

41st permutation of units:

41-1 = 40 = 101000 in binary ---> write in 8-1 = 7 bits ---> 0101000 ---> reverse ---> 0001010 ---> 111+11+11---> append '1' ---> 1111+11+11 ---> 4+2+2

the Uddhishta process is exactly the reverse of this.

Kalita:

Number of occurrences of figure 'k' in a prastara containing permutations of 'n' units can be summarized with a formula as follows:

N(n,k) = 2^(n-k) + (n-k-1)*2^(n-k-2), if k < n
= 1 if k=n
Last edited by listener on 26 Mar 2007, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.

listener

Post by listener »

sbala wrote:Ram,
I gave the formula only for Samyuktanga. You could derive them for the other prastaras.
Unfortunately, I think exact formulas (even Sankhya and Mahapatala) cannot be obtained for the other prastaras (Panchanga and Shadanga) this would require us to factorize polynomials of degree 6. Will explain why if someone here is interested in knowing...

I think Sharmaji's 'Recursive' approach is the only way...

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-members, sbala, ram, listener, Today I feel extremely happy and am able to forget the hardship I have experienced for four decades (from 1963 to 2003) of my life to get this Talaprastara out. When I happen to come to Chennai in near future we shall all meet and I shall explain the very important details of Talaprastara which can only be explained easily in person. Wishing you all the best, amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

listener,
Welcome. Are you based in Chennai?

Sharmaji,
I'm sure you would be happier if a musician understand this. I don't know about Ram and listener but I'm like a bowler holding a 2.8 pounds bat.
Last edited by sbala on 26 Mar 2007, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

dear Members Bala and listener and Akellaji
I also understand being a musician. But not giving out my contribution here as i am a silent spectator infront of giants like you. Though the combinations come naturally to me i was awestruck with the scientific way in which the whole tala prastara has been thought out and brought out centuries ago and assimilated by Jambhavans like Akella Garu. Thanks for the efforts. With the help of sbala i have understood a few basic things. Due to heavy professional commitments I am not able to fully concentrate on each and every aspect of this.
J.Balaji

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-members, sbala & mridhangam, I have already taught to some of the musicians who are able to enjoy the greatness of this rarest topic, Talaprastara and, in turn, are also teaching others enthusiastically. In fact, long long ago I was compelled to take an oath that I shall not reveal some secrets of Kanakku to any musician or any Mridangist, in particular, at all by a professional Mridangist who very accidentally spilled out very few of his own beans before me but I could make 100% out of them. When I shall meet you all in near future I shall tell you these short-cut methods which will be helpful even to professional Mridangists. amsharma.

listener

Post by listener »

Hello sbala,

I'm a student currently in the United States. I hope to visit Chennai in the near future.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Dear Akella sir
I have studied upto Uddishta and i cant tell you how i am addicted to the subject. Most of my note books are filled with exercises and the figures are so exciting and now i understand your lifetime achievement in this work. May your tribe spread sir. Thanks a ton for such a great rewardless work.

J.Balaji

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, mridhangam, Feel very happy to know that you have proceeded up to Uddishta. I shall explain the remaining details when we meet next. Even though physically I am well off with 5’ 11â€

sbala

Post by sbala »

Just thought of reviving this thread with the explanation for Mahapatala - the total number of figures of all the permutations for a given total number of units. As indicated in the posts, the Mahapatala of "n: unit permutations is the sum of Sankhya and Mahapatala of all the relevant proxies (S+M). The reasoning for that is similar to the reasoning for Sankhya

Total Number of figures of 'n' units = Sum over all angas of (Total number of figures in permutations that don't end with a particular anga + Total number of permutations of (n-unit value of the anga))

This is equal to Sum of S+M for all the relevant proxies. Relevant proxies are determined by the angas allowed in the prastara. For instance, in Pananga prastara, the angas allowed are Drutam (1 times Druta), Chaturasra Laghu (2 times Druta), Guru (4 times Druta), Pluta (3 times Laghu or 6 times Druta) and Kakapada (4 times Laghu or 8 times Druta).
Therefore, the proxies woud be 1,2,4,6 and 8.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, sbala, You are right, my dear. In any mode of Prastara the respective values in terms of the least Angas of the constituent Talangas become the
respective Proxies as furnished at the end of the 43rd post of this thread. Please go through that once again and have a correct picture of the relevant proxies. amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Samyoga Meru

In this example below we list all the prastaras containing combinations of Durta and Plutam ie (OS' or S'O) in Pancanga Prastara. The numbers at the extreme right denote the number of units of permutation in terms of Drutas (ie i denotes 1DP, 2 denotes 2 DP etc).

The first column gives the details of Sankhya and Mahapatala for the respective units for an all druta permutation. The first sub row gives the Sankhya and the second sub-row gives the Mahapatala. Similarly, the second column gives the same details for all Pluta permutation.
The third column give the details for all prastaras containing the combination of DP or PD named as OS'.

O S' 0S'
1 1

1 2

1 3

1 4

1 5

1 1 6
6 1

1 0 2 (1+1) 7
7 4(1+1+1+1)

1 0 3 (2+1) 8
8 9 (2+4+1+2)

1 0 4 (3+1) 9
9 16(9+3+1+3)

1 0 5 (4+1) 10
10 25(4+16+1+4)

1 0 6 (5+1) 11
11 36 (5+25+1+5)

1 1 7(6+1) 12
12 2 49 (6+36+1+6)

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, sbala, Please refer page 107 to know the seriatim of the 31 combinations pertaining to Panchanga-prastara and 63 combinations of Shadanga-prastara pertaining to all the 5 Jaatis and page 108 for the 69 combinations of Samyuktanga-prastara of 12-units. Please also follow the matter furnished in pages from 24 to 30 pertaining to Samyoga-meru of my book ‘Indian Genius in Talaprastara’ and try to write all the details of it comparing it with the matter furnished in 6.10. in page 105 and page in page 110. Also refer pages from 35 to 43 of my book ‘ Talaprastara of Nisshanka Sharngadeva’s Sangita Ratnakara’. amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Dear Sharmaji,
As I have some time this week, I will try to absorb everything I can and post here. Please continue to correct any mistakes.

frpatte

Post by frpatte »

Hello Dear Members,

I am working on "samgitaratnakara" by Sharngadeva. and I would like some information about nashta-uddishta rules in this works, am I allowed to post some sanskrit questions on this forum?

Thanks for attention.

F. Patte

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sure. If it is thala related, open up a new thread in the Tala/Laya section. Otherwise create a thread in the Technical Section or Languages ( if it is about Sanskrit in general ) or just in the General Section ( we will move it to another sub forum if needed ).

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, frpatte, Welcome to ask any Sanskrit-questions in regard to Talaprastara. I shall try to clear off your doubts. I have already brought out the free-English-translation of the Shlokas from 312 to 408 of Taladhyaya of Sangita Ratnakara in my book, Indian Genius in Talaprastara (English) which is available from ‘Carnatic music book center, Chennai or with me. Some copies of it are also available in US with my friends I remember. If you are a resident of US I shall try to get and give their e-mail addresses to enable you get it. amsharma.

frpatte

Post by frpatte »

Thanks for this welcome.

I have some doubts while reading shlokas 323-325 of samgitaratnakara (anandashrama edition --> shlokas 325-329 1/2 Adyar edition) more precisely this:

..... atha "se.sata.h|
paatayet puurvapuurvaa"nka.m tatra tv apatito druta.h|
puurva"s cet patito na syaal laghus tu patitaad bhavet||
uttare.naak.rtaarthena sahitaat tadasa.mbhave|
ak.rtaarthena puurve.na.........

It seems to be an utsarga:

atha "se.sata.h|
paatayet puurvapuurvaa"nka.m tatra tv apatito druta.h|

then an apavaada:

puurva"s cet patito..... etc.

(I am using the Velthuis scheme of translitteration, as I don't know if unicode char will be correctly transmitted)

Neither commentaries by Kallinatha or by Simhabhupala are clear about it.

I give a few examples: take the druta+pluta prastara and try to find out the 22nd bheda. The samkhyaa"sreni.h is:

1 2 3 6 10 19 33

So: 33-22 = 11

You cannot remove 19 in 11, so you get a druta (apatito druta.h)

Then, you can remove 10 in 11: 11-10 =1 and you get a laghu for number 10 (laghus tu patitaad bhavet...)

After that, you cannot remove 6, 3 or 2 from 1, and you get another laghu while removing 1 in 1.

So the 22nd bheda is laghu+laghu+druta (right)

But why the "apatito druta.h" rule does not apply for numbers 6, 3 and 2?

Now, take the laghu+pluta prastara and try to find out the 40th bheda. Here the "sre.ni is:

1 2 3 6 10 19 33 60

60 - 40 = 20

You cannot remove 33 in 20 and get a druta; then you can remove 19 in 20 and get a laghu, remainder being 1. Same phenomenon as above occurs: you get a new laghu with the first number of the "sre.ni (1) but, this time you must get 3 drutas between the two laghus.....

Where is this difference explained in Sharngadeva rule or in Kallinatha commentary?

Thanks for attention.

F. Patte

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear (as I am unable to take you either as a brother or sister from you name) b/s-member, frpatte, I am very glad for your intricate findings of Nashta. In my previous post I also forgot to mention about my another book, Talaprastara of Nisshanka Sharngadeva’s Sangita Ratnakara – a critical interpretation in which I have furnished the inconsistencies of the topic.
In fact, I know very little of the language, Sanskrit. But, having some how been blessed by the Almighty I am able to get through the latent secrets of Nashta and Uddishta of this Talaprastara. Even after writing these books my research has not been concluded and in due course I could further delve into this topic to find still easier short-cut methods in regard to Nashta and Uddishta than the ones already furnished in my book. But, being physically unable to re-write this entire book again at this old age of 70 years, I have made some additions of notes in this regard in this book in page 35.
However, I shall hereunder give the updated details of Nashta
by which the Sanskrit version has to be modified suitably.
Updated rules for answering Nashta:
01.Write the ‘Sankhya’ line of figures up to the required units of permutation.
02.Subtract the question-number from the Sankhya and later from the remainder subtract the respective proxies consecutively.
03.In the process of subtraction of the relevant proxies if the 1st proxy is not subtracted from the remainder write the Anga of it and start again fresh the process of subtraction by subtracting the relevant proxies of the ‘un-subtracted-proxy’ from the beginning from the remainder. For the successful subtraction of the 1st proxy consider the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 2nd proxy only, for the successful consecutive subtraction of 1st & 2nd proxies consider the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 4th proxy only, for the successful consecutive subtraction of the 1st, 2nd & 4th proxies consider the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 6th proxy onloy and for the successful consecutive subtraction of the 1st, 2nd, 4th & 6th proxies consider the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 8th proxy only thus always considering only the ‘non-subtraction’ of the last proxy and leaving if off to write the Anga of it and start again fresh the process of subtraction by subtraction the relevant of the ‘un-subtracted-proxy’. In the absence of the remainder no figure is needed to be left off.
04.To fill in the deficit value of the permutation one or more least Angas should only be written in the left extreme irrespective of their number.
Accordingly, in the 1st example of 22nd permutation pertaining to 7-drutas, as per rule No.2, if the question-number is subtracted from the respective Sankhya (33-22) ‘11’ is the remainder.
From this remainder ‘11’, as per rule No.3, as the 1st proxy ‘19’ could not be subtracted write the Anga of the 1st proxy which is Druta.
Later, as per rule No.3, starting the subtraction afresh, from this remainder ‘11’, as the 1st proxy ‘10’ could be subtracted
(11-10=1), considering only the ‘non-subtraction of the 2nd proxy ‘6’ from the remainder, write the Anga, Laghu of the 2nd proxy and leave off the 2nd proxy ‘6’.
Later, as per rule No.3, starting the subtraction afresh, from the last remainder ‘1’, as the 1st proxy ‘3’ of the last un-deducted proxy ‘6’ and, again, as the 1st proxy ‘2’ of the last un-deducted proxy ‘3’ could not consecutively be subtracted twice, write two Drutas representing the 1st proxy.
Later, as per rule No.3, starting the subtraction afresh, from the last remainder ‘1’, as the 1st proxy ‘1’ of the last un-deducted proxy ‘2’ could successfully be subtracted, considering only the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 2nd proxy ‘1’ of the last un-deducted proxy ‘2’, write the Anga, Laghu of the 2nd proxy (Hope you know that, as per rules, figure ‘1’ should always be written even before the 1st house in the Sankhya-line of figures).
Thus, you get (Angas or figures of any permutation should always be cited from right to left only in respect of Talaprastara) ‘l 0 0 l 0’.

Accordingly, in the 2nd example, as per rule No.2, if the question-number is subtracted from the respective Sankhya
(60-40=) ‘20’ is the remainder.
From this remainder ‘20’, as per rule No.3, as the 1st proxy ‘33’ could not be subtracted, write the Anga, Druta of the 1st proxy.
Later, as per rule No.3, starting the subtraction afresh, as the 1st proxy of the last un-deducted proxy ‘20’ could successfully be subtracted (20-19=1) considering only the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 2nd proxy, write the Anga, Laghu of the 2nd proxy and leave of the figure ‘10’ of the 2nd proxy as you have to continue the process of subtraction again with the remainder ‘1’.
Later, as per rule No.3, starting the subtraction afresh, the 1st proxy ‘6’ of the last un-deducted proxy ‘10’, again the 1st proxy ‘3’ of the last un-deducted proxy ‘6’ and again the 1st proxy ‘2’ of the last un-deducted proxy ‘3’ could not consecutively be subtracted thrice from the remainder ‘1’, write three Angas, Drutas consecutively.
Later, as per rule No.3, starting the subtraction afresh, from the remainder ‘1’, the 1st proxy ‘1’ of the last un-deducted proxy ‘2’ could successfully be subtracted (1-1=0) considering only the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 2nd proxy, write the Anga, Laghu of the 2nd proxy.
Thus, you will get ‘l 0 0 0 l 0’.

Most unfortunately, in the annals of our music literature itself, neither of the author or commentators or editors of any treatise have nowhere explained this ‘Nashta’ clearly without any ambiguity to the reader.

As I am not well educated like you people there may be some lacuna in my explanations. Please feel free to ask any number of questions. amsharma.

frpatte

Post by frpatte »

msakella wrote:Dear (as I am unable to take you either as a brother or sister from you name) b/s-member, frpatte,
brother
msakella wrote:Most unfortunately, in the annals of our music literature itself, neither of the author or commentators or editors of any treatise have nowhere explained this ‘Nashta’ clearly without any ambiguity to the reader.
I do not agree with you: I am a mathematician working on Sanskrit texts in mathematics and, as far as my experience is concerned in the field of mathematical texts, every time I was thinking that there was some ambiguity in the Sanskrit text, I was wrong and a better reading with a sharper attention, could solve the ambiguity.... I am sure that it is the same for theoretical texts on music, as Sharngadeva's.
msakella wrote:Please feel free to ask any number of questions.
So, I use this permission.... It is still not clear for me (from the Sanskrit text point of view) why there are some numbers with drutas and some others without: take the plutaprastara, samkhya is: 1 2 3 6 10 19

When the nashta question is about the second bheda, you get one laghu for 10, one laghu for 6 (as they are consecutive, you get a guru) and one laghu for 1 and nothing for 2 and 3.

When the nashta question is about the 8th bheda, you get a laghu for 10 (beause 11-10= 1) and, the next time you get a laghu is for 1. So, in that case you must find 2 drutas in between. How do you "calculate" this?

Moreover, could you show us what is a practical layout to answer the nashta question, I mean: do you know how they executed the nashta computation in Sharngadeva times, writing in the sand or something of the like?

I imagine something like this (but i maybe totally wrong, and that's why I do not understand some things):

1st example:

1 2 3 6 10 19
----

1 1 1 7 17
-1 -2 -3 -6 -10
0 1 7
I I I <--- Why there are no drutas under 2 and 3
I S

2nd example:

1 2 3 6 10 19
----

1 1 1 1 11
-1 -2 -3 -6 -10
0 1
I I <--- here where to put the 2 drutas ? I think under 2 and 3, but why?

Thanks a lot for any clarification.

F. Patte

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, frpatte, Elderly people tell that it not nice to find fault with the Sanskrit texts as they were written by great stalwarts. Up to some extent I was able to agree with this. But, the mathematical facts which have wasted some decades of the prime period of my life, did not permit me to do so. That’s why I, at any time, without moving at all from my stand and also having enough mathematical base, very well declare, though not we call them mistakes, that Sharngadeva had furnished some inconsistencies in his Sanskrit Shlokas. However, I shall be thankful to you if you later prove my stand is incorrect.

I repeatedly tell you to always feel free to ask any number of questions in regard to Talaprastara as the truth always comes out through rational discussions only.

In my previous post I have furnished four rules which belong to Akhanda-prastara (of course, the rules slightly differ with marginal understandings for Khanda-prastara).

1. Answering 2nd bheda of 6-drutas permutation:
As per rule No.1 write the Sankhya-line of figures up to 6-drutas permutation which is
1 1 2 3 6 10 19.
Later, as per rule No.2 the remainder is (19-2=) ‘17’.

Later, as per rule No.3, from the above remainder ‘17’, as the 1st & 2nd proxies could consecutively be subtracted (17-10=7-6=1) considering only the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 4th proxy ‘2’, write the Anga, Guru of the 4th proxy and leave off the same proxy ‘2’.

Later, again as per rule No.3, from the last remainder ‘1’, as the 1st proxy of the last left-off proxy ‘2’ could successfully be subtracted (1-1=0) considering only the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 2nd proxy ‘1’, write the Anga, Laghu of the 2nd proxy.

Thus we get ‘l S’ which is the answer.

2. Answering 8th bheda of 6-drutas permutation:
As per rule No.1 write the Sankhya-line of figures up to 6-drutas permutation which is
1 1 2 3 6 10 19.
Later, as per rule No.2, the remainder is (19-8=) ‘11’.

Later, as per rule No.3, as the 1st proxy ‘10’ could only be subtracted (11-10=1) considering only the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 2nd proxy ‘6’ write the Anga, Laghu of the 2nd proxy and leave off the same 2nd proxy ‘6’.

Later, again as per rule No.3, as the 1st proxy ‘3’ of the last left-off proxy ‘6’ could not be subtracted and again in the same manner the 1st proxy ‘2’ of the last un-deducted proxy ‘3’ also could not be subtracted consecutively, write two Angas, Drutas of the 1st proxy.

Later, again as per rule No.3, as the 1st proxy ‘1’ of the last un-deducted proxy could successfully be subtracted (1-1=0) considering only the ‘non-subtraction’ of the 2nd proxy write the Anga, Laghu of the 2nd proxy.

Thus we get ‘l 0 0 l’ which is the answer.

By God’s grace I am able to formulate the rules without any ambiguity at all. There may be some lacuna either in my narration of things or in your understanding but not in the formulated rules at all. amsharma.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, frpatte, Even after 12 days of posting my response you did not respond in any manner.

You have written that you do not agree with my contention.
As you all are aware ‘mathematics’ is the only topic on earth having high precision than any other topic and there is no question of escaping away in one way or other like in the matter of ’22 Shrutis’ or any other topic of ambiguity in music which always leaves some scope or other to escape away.

In the annals of our music literature this topic, Talaprastara has ever been dealt with in only 13 books. Most unfortunately, the secrets of either Nashta or Uddishta or Kalita have never been brought out without any ambiguity and within the easy reach of the aspirant. More over none of them is an exception from incorrections and contradiction. As this is mathematics I am ready to prove these facts of Talaprastara at any time.

When I have brought out these incorrect versions of Sangitaratnakara to the notice of Dr.R.Sathyanarayana of Mysore, the internationally reputed great musicologist of our times and the personification of Sangitaratnakara he also agreed with me and mentioned in his fore-word ‘Shri Sharma has unraveled the mysteries of the taalapratyaya in such minute detail that he has been able even to correct some inaccuracies in exposition and fact of great authors of the past’. Thus, my contention was long ago approved even by a great musicologist of our times.

I shall not tell you to agree with me but, at the least, make me agree with you as an eye-opener to the posterity. Even to make this event historical you must come out and do the needful or, if not, you must agree with me. Without doing either of them keeping quiet only proves the inefficiency of your argument. amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 14 Sep 2008, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

frpatte

Post by frpatte »

msakella wrote:Dear brother-member, frpatte, Even after 12 days of posting my response you did not respond in any manner.

You have written that you do not agree with my contention.
I did not write something like this, did I?

If you understood what I was writing like this, there is a misunderstanding! I am "fighting" with texts and I want to fully understand these texts.

From my point of view there is absolutely no problem about nashta and uddishta: This is fully "working", the problem is: "how Sharngadeva explains the algorithm?" Sharngadeva's shlokas are difficult, he is saying a lot of things in a sharp and concise language (as any Indian pandit). I am working on Sharngadeva's texts with the help of Kallinatha and Simhabhupala commentaries, but it is not so easy. Unfortunately, the editions of these texts (from Anandashrama an Adyar) are not well done: parts of text are missing, one says "yes" where the other says "no", and I am searching some manuscripts to have several readings, that's why I am not answering too fast....

Your way of explaining nashta is working without any ambiguity, but it is slightly different from the way of Sharngadeva and I want to understand Sharngadeva's text. That's why I asked you if you could show a practical disposition to perform nashta.

msakella wrote:As you all are aware ‘mathematics’ is the only topic on earth having high precision than any other topic and
This is, perhaps, the point where I can explain where is the misunderstanding: I agree with you about the "high precision of the topic", but if you read a mathetical text, you cannot avoid some ambiguity due to the person who has written the text, and it is sometime very difficult to fully understand a mathematical text without the help of other mathematical texts dealing with the same mathematical topic as the one you want to understand....

This is my problem with Sharngadeva's description of nashta and uddishta, I have no doubt about nashta and uddishta themselves: samkhya is perfect, there is no reason why "inverse" algorithms should not work: the only problem is: what was exactly Sharngadeva's method?

With best regards.

F. Patte.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, frpatte, When I, at first, wrote that either of the author or commentators or editors of Sangita Ratnakara have never furnished the correct and clear definition of either Nashta or Uddishta or Kalita without any ambiguity to the reader you wrote that you do not agree with my contention.

Having seen your post I felt very happy that you are trying to delve into these texts to fully understand them. Very nice to hear it from you. I am always here to help you at any time in each and every manner I can as I have already struggled hard for years together to know the latent secrets, Nashta, Uddishta and Kalita. Only to avoid any hardship of anybody in future in understanding these texts I have brought out brief details of this topic dealt with in all the 13 works in my book, Indian genius in Talaprastara and I wrote another book itself, Talaprastara of Nisshanka Shargadeva’s Sangita Ratnakara-a critical interpretation, with full details of the lacunae. If you are interested to go through these books if you give me your address and phone numbers I shall try to send the copies of them to you.

In fact, our people tell that the people who wrote such treatises are far developed than many of the modern-men of the present days. But, I am compelled to doubt this statement when I have suffered a lot, that too for years, in finding
1. the direct and extremely convenient connection in between the Sankhya and Mahapatala which facilitated not only the absolute removal of the less-important Patala but also the extension of Mahapatala to all the tables of Talaprastara unlike any other author of any treatise dealt with Talaprastara in the annals of our music literature,
2. the nature of the complex-Druta-meru than the original-Druta-meru and
3. the nature of the wantonly changed version of the Samyoga-meru.

Without any exception, everybody agrees with me that it is the duty of the elders to make all the things easier to our kids. In such case, how can I appreciate these elders who wrote such great treatises making them more difficult to follow than making them easy to our aspirants? If you prove it with evidences that I am wrong I, at any time, am ready to apologise. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Like the recent rare exhibition of Simhanandana-tala by Chi. SR Vinay Sharva while one side of the coin is successfully exhibiting the Tala before the audience, which has previously been done by some such highly talented people the other side of the coin is giving out the specific-serial-number of the Tala to prove its authenticity about which people are not even aware at all of such specific-serial numbers of the rhythmical forms and which has never even been attempted by anybody in respect of these longest Talas in the annals of our music history.

As already told previously, there are only two kinds of rhythmical forms, 1.the rhythmical form which can be rendered like Simhanandana-tala and 2.the rhythmical form which should not be rendered like Sharabhanandana-tala. In particular, while Simhanandana-tala, which can be rendered, has three kinds of specific serial-numbers, 1.pertaining to Panchanga-prastara 2. pertaining to Shadanga-prastara and pertaining to 3.Samyuktanga-prastara, Sharabhanandana-tala has only one specific-serial-number pertaining to Samyuktanga-prastara.

After introducing this sticky thread ‘TALAPRASTHARA’ in this forum some people have learnt this topic either directly or indirectly and either partly or fully. I shall be very happy if any one of them comes out and gives out the specific-serial-number of Simhanandana-tala along with the work-sheet and stands as the 1st person to do so in the annals of our music history though not to get ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’. amsharma.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brothers and sisters, A large bound book containing the digitized process of 32,768 permutations pertaining to 16-units of Samyuktanga-prastara which pave way for 73,740 rhythmical forms of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 & 16-units has been handed over to Shri Shrivathsa when I have met him in Chennai few years back along with Prof..N.Ramanathan to preserve it in the Library of the Music academy. They have been digitized by one young enthusiast from Hyderabad. Interested persons can go through this book. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all,
Recently on 27-09-2008 Chi. Vinay Sharva had very successfully demonstrated a Pallavi in the famous lengthy-tala, Simhanandana-tala consisting of 128 units for each cycle of Tala and this information has been posted in our forum. Having seen this congratulating him for such a fete of demonstration of this lengthy-tala as one side of the coin I have suggested him to possibly give away its specific serial number which is the other side of the same coin. By seeing this he and his brother contacted me and asked me to teach them the topic ‘Talaprastara’. Later, accidentally, when I had been to Bangalore in December his brother Chi.Vijaya Raghava was able to learn Talaprastara within a very short time of only three days and, recently, he was also able to successfully bring out the 3 kinds of specific serial-numbers of Simhanandana-tala. Thus, as far as my knowledge goes, he stands the first person in the history to find out the specific serial numbers of the Great Simhananda-tala. amsharma

bharadwajrs

Post by bharadwajrs »

One of the brothers Chi Vinay Sharva started it and his elder brother Chi Vijay Raghava completed the circle... Brothers create History!!!
Hearty Congratulations!!!

B...