Chapu Thalams

Tālam & Layam related topics
sbala

Post by sbala »

Dear Msakella Sir,
Could you explain the grammar and origin of these thalams? What are the rules that one needs to follow in rendering these thalams?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear member, sbala, The origin of Chapu-talas is said to have been the Folk Music. Each one of them should contain only two beats of Drita-kaala i.e., speed tempo. Great Laya-brahmas like my good friend Shri TRS will be able to maintain them with only two beats. Among them Trisra-chapu should consist of the 1st beat occupying 1-unit and the 2nd beat of 2-units spelling out ‘ta - kita’, Khanda-chapu consisting of the 1st beat of 2-units and the 2nd beat of 3-units spelling out ‘taka - takita’, Mishra-chapu consisting of the 1st beat of 3-units and the 2nd beat of 4-units spelling out ‘takita - takadhimi’and Sankeerna-chapu consisting of the 1st beat of 4-units and the 2nd beat of 5-units spelling out ‘takadhimi – takatakita’.Among these 4 varieties the first 3 varieties, Trisra, Khanda and Mishra-chapu-talas are mostly used in Folk Music. I think the addition of Sankeerna-chapu into them might have been made by our Musicologists. Please don’t forget to take the differences of opinion also into consideration in this regard. amsharma.

priyamhn@yahoo.com

Post by priyamhn@yahoo.com »

Sree Maskella Guru,
Among these 4 varieties the first 3 varieties, Trisra, Khanda and Mishra-chapu-talas are mostly used in Folk Music. I think the addition of Sankeerna-chapu into them might have been made by our Musicologists. Please don’t forget to take the differences of opinion also into consideration in this regard. amsharma.(
can do up to 12.5 sir
Last edited by priyamhn@yahoo.com on 05 Jun 2007, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, priyamhn@yahoo.com, I saw this post today only and extremely sorry for the inordinate delay, my dear. Please find that there are no fractions at all in any of the Talas. amsharma.

priyamhn@yahoo.com

Post by priyamhn@yahoo.com »

sir my doubt is ghandajathy thripda thalam need 9 beats sankeernajathy aka thalam need 9 beats they are consideraing as 2 thalams if the reason is wether beat is same ore not consideration is about how is putting the thalam .am i correct sir
Last edited by priyamhn@yahoo.com on 22 Jun 2007, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, priyamhn@yahoo.com, (I am unable to properly understand your posts, my dear. However-) As per your previous post the first one is Khanda-jaati-triputa-tala carrying 9 Kriyas (not all beats) and the second one is Sankeerna-chapu carrying 2- Kriyas. Khanda-jaati-triputa-tala is used in classical music only carrying 4-units in the 2nd degree of speed and Chapu-talas are varieties used in our folk music and, generally, consists of 2-units in the 2nd degree. But, now, you are telling it as ‘Sankeerna-jaati-eka-tala’ which is used in classical music carrying 9 Kriyas but 4-units in the 2nd degree of speed. To tell the truth, you have taken a Tala from the classical music and another Tala from the folk music and you have mixed them performing an inter-cast marriage. OK. If you like to do such things like a mare’s nest that is up to you. amsharma.