Tala in Music

Tālam & Layam related topics
sbala

Post by sbala »

msakella wrote:Dear brother-member, sbala, I hope you mean Khanda-jati or Trisra-jati sollu or Swara pattern can be misinterpreted by a listener as an actual change in Gathi. Jati means Mridanga-jati like takita - takadhimi - tadhiginata etc. and Jaati means Trisra-jaati-laghu of 3 Kriyas, Chaturashra-jaati-laghu of 4 Kriyas etc. The misuse of the technical terms confuse the people. Unfortunately, even the great stalwarts misuse them in the absence of the proper Lakshana-jnanam. Many of them don't even care to know them. Can't help! amsharma.
Dear Sharmaji,
You are right. That's what I meant. I didn't mean Jaati.

msakella

Post by msakella »

sbala wrote:I prefer to stay mum
Brother-member, sbala, dear, In our forum each and every member is participating only to enlighten himself of the proper knowledge of the relevant subject. Even though, I have become old and impatient enough to go through all the posts of this thread which have driven you to stay mum, at the same time, I feel very unhappy to keep one of my brothers away from the right of speaking the truth and I am also interested in knowing the brief details of the relevant points. If you don’t mind, would you please give me a brief note of these details? amsharma.

sr_iyer

Post by sr_iyer »

Dear esteemed msakella-garu,

I resonate with your thoughts on mis'ramukhi and pancamukhi (I just chose to include the example as a practice followed by some, and also noted about the non-agreement of other learned vidvans in the field).

I have been following all your very erudite and helpful posts with utmost, humble attention and I remember that you had mentioned this earlier on another occasion too.

My humble namaskArams to you. I pray to God that your altrusitic nature, erudition and lucid explanatory style benefits all of the rasikas.org for a long time to come.

Pranams.

sr_iyer

Post by sr_iyer »

Dear sbala and Kalgada78,

Thank you for your kind words (which I am not sure if I completely deserve). I play the flute more frequently and sing for my own pleasure – I must add that music more of a very sincere hobby for me.
Further to your suggestions of upload,
A small clip of a flute rendition has been uploaded to http://www.rogepost.com/n/3386414120
A small clip of vocal sAvEri has been uploaded to http://www.rogepost.com/n/9986274226

(These recordings were made using a mic also used in my work-lab signal analysis; I am afraid that there is a unnatural quality inadvertantly introduced in the capture process settings. Also, I am sorry if I have digressed from the theme of this thread ...)
Last edited by sr_iyer on 19 Apr 2007, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Thanks Sr_Iyer. Trust me, I don't usually praise anybody unless they richly deserve it. Your voice made me sit up and take notice.

I will listen and let you know my feedback. Maybe, we can communicate over email so that we don't digress.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, sr_iyer, Pranams. Thank you very much for your kind compliments. Everything is the Almighty’s grace. Having gone through your earliest post, I have also downloaded your Todi & Saveri and enjoyed them well. Really you are a blessed person. Not only your Vocal but your Flute also richly deserves much praise as was written by our brother-member, sbala. Thanking you once again, amsharma.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Sr_Iyer,
I listened to your Saveri and Todi renditions and they were splendid. You have got the stamp of approval from Sharmaji. Please continue to upload whenever it is feasible for you. Who are your gurus for flute and vocal?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

(Woops! One takita left out. What a glaring error I made :(

I have edited the original post. Thank you msakella.)

Thank you also for the reminder of the difference between Gathi and Jati.

kalgada78

Post by kalgada78 »

sr_iyer wrote:Dear sbala and Kalgada78,

Thank you for your kind words (which I am not sure if I completely deserve). I play the flute more frequently and sing for my own pleasure – I must add that music more of a very sincere hobby for me.
Further to your suggestions of upload,
A small clip of a flute rendition has been uploaded to http://www.rogepost.com/n/3386414120
A small clip of vocal sAvEri has been uploaded to http://www.rogepost.com/n/9986274226

(These recordings were made using a mic also used in my work-lab signal analysis; I am afraid that there is a unnatural quality inadvertantly introduced in the capture process settings. Also, I am sorry if I have digressed from the theme of this thread ...)
Thanks sr_iyer! You really have a beautiful voice!Please do share your renditions time to time.

Sarma.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

sr_iyer, that was fabulous. I third the request for more renditions :)

arunk

Post by arunk »

sr_iyer,

i finally was able to listen to your samples. Excellent - You are doubly blessed!

Arun

sr_iyer

Post by sr_iyer »

Dear Sri Akella Sir, a heartfelt thanks to you for your generous words of encouragement.

Dear sbala, kalgada78, mnsriram, arunk,

I sincerely thank you for your kind words. I will try to provide more clips from time to time.

sbala,

Reference post number 142 and 3b variety therein -- _if_ this is suggestive of a naDai change with change in Avartanam duration during naDai bhEdam, I would like to gently point out that this would not be in line with the rules I (would like to) follow. In case my post 124 (out of which I am familar with a few chanda tALa examples but need to revise) caused a different interpretation, the Avartana duration does not change in these cases too.

Further to your suggestion of email and the query, please feel free to drop in an email, the ID of which can be seen on my profile. I too will try sending you email through the forum interface over the weekend (your email ID is perhaps not viewable but the interface should work I think).

Thanks.
Last edited by sr_iyer on 20 Apr 2007, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

sbala

Post by sbala »

Sr_Iyer,
I agree with you and your posts are clear to me. I have not been able to accept the 3b variety as a "gathi change" as well though it qualifies as a "change". I'm happy you have accepted our requests for more clips of yours.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, nick H, If each and every artist strives hard to know the correct definitions of the technical terms like Akshara, Amsha, Unit, Maatra, Kriya, Jaati, Jati, Gathi etc., etc., and uses them properly much of the problems can be minimized. amsharma.

arunk

Post by arunk »

sr_iyer, bala

Yes. If the rule is that akshara spacing must remain the same during a section of the song in the same tala, then based on what i have heard, i also think that 3a is the way most (i.e. except for examples like the MLV rendition) nadai switches are done in convention/practice. But it is quite possible that examples like the MLV rendition arent that rare - i for one cannot claim 'seen and heard all' :).

However, perhaps i didnt make it more explicit, my post #139 was to go beyond the 3a vs. 3b issue, and ask what does it mean for a musical piece (not entire song but even say a sub-part e.g. my example above, or as in one sub-iteration of a korvai in a tani) to be in a certain gati - i.e. let us ask specifically for tiSra gati? I dont know the "right" answer myself but there are at least a couple of ways of stating the answer:
1. A piece where the rhythm is in groups of (multiples of) 3 sub-units.
Or
2. Groups of (multiples) of 3 sub-units i.e. #1, AND the time of each 3 sub-unit is the same as the akshara spacing of the tala of the song i.e. the spacing of the kriyas (which you may not see and hear if e.g you are listening to a rendition)",

Now 3a implies it is #2. Even 3b implies #2 only. Both imply the same - if nadai switches are out of the picture. I think something similar was indeed noted before by bala (?).

But from a strict musical perspective (i.e. if we forget the rules/convention for a second), can we dare hypothesize that the extra criterion in #2 seems like an artificial construct as the first part of 2 (i.e. #1) alone establishes the gati (as in gait), and look into whether such a proposal can have atleast some iota of validity?

Let us again take my example of #139. Assume it was actually a "audio piece" i cut from a song - and you cannot hear any talam slaps.Now even if mridangam matches the intrinsic rhythm of the sollus, and we cannot hear any talam slaps, we dont the song, must we still conclude that that the audio sample is still in catusra gati? Why? Because i said it is rUpata catuSra gati? What would be the musical basis for it? Shouldnt we ask "where is the groupings in sets of 4" - the common part of both #1 an #2 above?

What if I come back later and say "sorry guys it goofed up on the song, and it was actually kalpana swaras delivered with a song always performed in tiSra gati Adi" - Now all of sudden conclude that the musical component that is gati is now different? But on what musical basis? Also - what instead if the pattern had 120 syllables - that can fit tiSra, catuSra and khaNDa?

If there is a point to that it is just this: IMVHO, the concept of gati was to convey different rythmic gaits, and from a strict musical perspective #1 alone is enough. But it had to be obviously conveyed within the framework of tala the backbone of rhythm and hence #2. Now only if you bring in nadai switches (which is not mandatory to show the dynamics of a gati ), you then find that #2 as in it fails to account for how nadai switches must be done.

May be experts like akella-garu can tell us what the historical works talk about naDai switches - and whether they point to 3a or 3b.

Arun

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, arunk, In general, some people always like to do some acrobatics to look conspicuous and also to get awards or titles or Gajaarohanam or Kanakaabhishekam (of course, not Ajaarohanam and Sunakaabhishekam at all). Besides doing such things, if anybody demands them to show the authenticity of them, they plead that theirs are the evolutionary methods and only such new methods later become tradition in due course. Of course, some of such things are not firnished in the treatises and they take advantage of such things only. For example, even the author of a work, in which Talaprastara was dealt with, in spite of some blunders written on this topic, was honoured with Gajaarohanam and Kanakaabhishekam by the then King in the absence of the proper knowledge of it. Con’t help! In the same manner, even though nowhere it was written about the Gathi-switches, we have to take the Mridangam-play into consideration. In Mridangam-tani, irrespective of any Gathi-change made by the player the duration of Kriya does not change at all. Besides this, we can take the different kinds of ‘Panchamukhi’ also into consideration.Even though the evolutionists may not agree with me this is the correct method to follow. amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 21 Apr 2007, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks akella-garu.

Arun

nrityapriya

Post by nrityapriya »

Suppose I have a item song , i don't know the tala of that and want to know , how do I start counting? Also I was wondering , If I am choreographing one Thillana, how do I end with tirmanam after counting talam???
Is this Questions making any sense?
or I have to ask another way?? In short, How can I choregraph the item , if I have a classical song with no information of talam.
Thanks in advance.
Nrityapriya

meena

Post by meena »

nrityapriya

let u know, i've merged ur thread on- How to learn tala?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, nrityapriya, In general, there will be 2 or 3 or more divisions in the composition. In terms of longer syllables having 2 or more units and shorter syllables having single-units arrive at a total number of units. For eg. if you have ‘Raamaneesamaanamevaru’ of Raa(2) ma (1) Nee(2) sa (1) maa (2) na (1) me(1) va(1) ru(1) the total of units is 2+1+2+1+2+1+1+1+1=12 and you can have any of the 5 following Talas to arrive at 12-units - One Avarta of Khanda-jaati-Mathya (5+2+5=12) or two Avartas of Chaturashra-jaati-Rupaka (2+4=2x2=12) or one Avarta of Sankeerna-jaati-Jhampa (9+1+2=12) or one Avarta of Mishra-sankeerna-jaati Triputa (8+2+2=12) or one Avarta of Mishra-deshya-sankeerna-jaati-eka (12) and compose your Teermaanam. amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 27 Jul 2007, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Nrityapriya... I have to reverse your question.

How is possible to choreograph without good understanding of tala?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

msakellaji: That is a great example and explanation. We have discussed a few times on the musical significance of the internal structure of the talas. Please continue along these lines and discuss if possible which of the talas would be a better fit for that song and why.

Nick: I think nrityapriya's question is about internal structure of the tala and not just the inherent rhythm in the song. With a good sense of the beat and number of beats in the cycle, one would be able to take a first shot at choreographing..I would think. But then we are in the middle of trying to figure out an answer to the question..

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, vasanthakokilam, It was told by the knowledgeable stalwarts that a lyrical fulfillment of meaning, upto reasonable extent, occurs in the compositions in each Avarta in bigger Talas like Adi (slow-tempo), Jhampa etc. For eg., Even though, presently, it was sung in Trisra-rupaka or Khanda-chapu, the composition ‘Paridaanamicchite paalintuvemo-Bilahari’ was originally composed and also sung in Jhampa-tala in which ‘Paridaanamicchete’ occupied the 1st Avarta ‘Paalimtuvemo’ followed in the 2nd Avarata. Thus, the lyrical fulfillment of meaning occurred in both the avartas even upto some extent. If we look into many of our compostions with this view, I hope, we will be able to get justifiable answers. Please try. amsharma.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

msakella wrote:Dear brother-member, vasanthakokilam, It was told by the knowledgeable stalwarts that a lyrical fulfillment of meaning, upto reasonable extent, occurs in the compositions in each Avarta in bigger Talas like Adi (slow-tempo), Jhampa etc. For eg., Even though, presently, it was sung in Trisra-rupaka or Khanda-chapu, the composition ‘Paridaanamicchite paalintuvemo-Bilahari’ was originally composed and also sung in Jhampa-tala in which ‘Paridaanamicchete’ occupied the 1st Avarta ‘Paalimtuvemo’ followed in the 2nd Avarata. Thus, the lyrical fulfillment of meaning occurred in both the avartas even upto some extent. If we look into many of our compostions with this view, I hope, we will be able to get justifiable answers. Please try. amsharma.
Sharma-garu,

Thanks for your excellent expositions. I have some questions with regards to your position on using lyrical fulfillment of meaning. In the general case, one would have to choose the longest structure that fits because in most (but not all) cases the more of the lyrical line you can accommodate in one avarta the better your chances of fulfillment of meaning. This would make it hard to use chapu talas at all since they are all "half" avartas.

I believe one should also look for emphasis points in the lyrics and try to coincide these with emphasis points in the tala cycle. For example, the first beat of the first dhruta in Adi/Chatusra Triputa Tala is the strongest beat in the cycle followed closely by the beginning beat of the laghu. Intuitively we all look for the strong slap to find our bearings in the tala cycle. Of course this is not a general rule since it depends on the composer. For example, Tyagaraja's kritis are generally more amenable to this than Dikshitar kritis. The emphasis points in the tala may also be critical for dance choreography to synchronize feet movement with the mridangam. I have seen/heard many a dancer literally put talam with her foot just as I would with my hand! I should also point out that the idea of finding emphasis points in the tala has been discussed at length in another thread on "similarities in tala".

A particularly troublesome if somewhat extreme example of this problem is with the Syama Sastri kriti "ninnu vinaga" in Poorvikalyani. I have learnt this in Desadi tala (with viloma misra nadai) whereas practically everyone else that I have heard sings this in straightforward viloma misra chapu (even though they seem to break in exactly the same places in the kriti singing). In my paatanthara the first avarta spans "ninnu vinaga mari dhikkevarunnAru" which may better satisfy your criterion of meaning fulfillment. This presents no particular difficulty until one comes to singing kalpana swaras when the long avarta becomes a bit of a strain on singer and listener alike. However the situation is reversed when it comes to the anupallavi wherein the first avarta of the long cycle spans "pannaga bhooshaNudaina kAnchi ekamra-" and the second avarta spans "-pati manohArini shrI kAmAkshi". To break it as "pannaga bhUshaNudaina -- kAnchi ekAmrapati mano haariNi -- shrI kAmAkshi" given the melodic line is practically impossible but theoretically possible in the misra chapu cycle!

Respectfully,
Then Paanan
Last edited by thenpaanan on 02 Aug 2007, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, thenpaanan, All our Saint-composers have lead their lives with very high level sanctity and composed their compostions with a sacred and ‘aloukika’ view. They never thought of either the technicalities of the compositions or the popularization of them. To tell the fact, all these saint-composers were made to sing these compositions by the Almighty, which we can never be in a position to even imagine but always try to link ther compositions with so many technicalities only. You yourself have mentioned that you have been taught the great kriti, ‘Ninnuvinagamari dikkevvarunnaaru’ of Shyama shastry, the GREAT, in Deshadi in viloma-mishra-nadai by which the meaning of the lyric fulfils. They all are also great musicians. Even without the help of any disciplined rhythm music itself inspires even a layperson a lot and these saint-musicians have taken the music as the first vehicle of preference and the rhythm as the second vehicle of preference in arriving at their destination, the GREAT-MOTHER. They all are bothered about the destination only but not the means of their travel. However, they all have chosen the sacred music as their vehicle having the rhythmical wheels, as the GREAT-MOTHER is the personification of sound as sung by the Saint Thyagaraja in ‘Naadatanumanisam Shankaram Namaamime Manasaa shirasaa- Chittaranjani-Adi’.
So, keeping all the above in view, we truly justify if we sing their sacred compositions shedding tears in our eyes and truly enjoying their lyric as the real music always makes the listeners weep heavily with emotions. amsharma.

arasi

Post by arasi »

msakella,
Thank you for your insightful observations. It is just my guess that except for a few instances, first having a tALam pattern and then fitting the lyrics to it wouldn't be the way a composer is inspired with a song at all. While layam can speak volumes, words of praise or wonder would come first. As beautiful as rAgAs are--even supposing they are played with tALam--without the lyrics, they will not be as elevating or enjoyable. I am NOT saying that rAgAs played by instrumentalists or singers do not count. Yet, I cannot imagine a three hour concert where just rAgAs are played or sung in a row (even supposing it is interspersed with tALam).
We might not know all the words of a song, we might not understand the language--still, the lyrics are important. They are the expressions of what moved the composers to create in the first place.
We often come across this question: what was the neraval line? Apart from the musical yield and beat of the line, it is also the emotional impact. I hope we don't see the various aspects of a composition in isolated compartments of lyrics, tALam, rAgam, emotiveness etc (except in the case of analysis). When the artistes feel the components of a kriti as a whole, their performance is enhanced. When it happens, we as rasikAs are fulfilled...

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, arasi, I, as a musician, feel that there are two kinds of inspiration in music. While one is with pure music another is with music along with rhythm. While a professional musician gets inspiration with any one of them, the layman is inspired only with music along with rhythm and lyric irrespective of any language. He can relish Ragalapana very little but not like a professional musician. He cannot relish even Niraval without rhythm.
Once my Guru, Shri Nedunuri sang niraval of ‘Bhakta paraadheenudanuchu Parama’ of ‘Evarimata-Kambhoji-Adi’ for four-and-half-hours at a stretch without any rhythmical support at all in a gathering of musicians and every one of them was able to relish each and every bit of it. But, a layman cannot relish it like a musician. Always a layman is inspired with rhythm even without music. For example, if the rhythmical aspect is removed from the cine-music many pictures become flop. While Laya inspires the musician and the layman alike the pure music inspires a musician much but a layman a little. Even in the aspirants while the Laya instills confidence the Shruti gives pleasure. amsharma.