3+3+3 vs 4+5 and other tala combinations

Tālam & Layam related topics
violin_balan

3+3+3 vs 4+5 and other tala combinations

Post by violin_balan »

Hi All,

I'm a beginner and trying to understand how these tala splits are different even though they take the exact same time. Is it because there is a pause on the "+"? If so, wouldn't that make each kriya space disproportionate. I have watched enough lectures and read material; everyone says it is different but not how...

thanks!

mridhangam

Re: 3+3+3 vs 4+5 and other tala combinations

Post by mridhangam »

Dear Member

All talas having count 9 will be having the total duration as the same but the accent points will be different making it look different and feel different. Alternatively you can think this way. For a tala having 9 as the total there will be many combinations possible according to Tala Prastara or say permutations and combinations. One of the combination for a tala is 3,3,3 and another is 4,5 that is all. As far as musicality is concerned the accent points will differ in so far as if you are a composer then the lyrics have to be shortened or lengthened or if you are a percussionist the kriya ending should be taken into account. It is not just as simple as this in practice though. Additionally please go through the topic called "Combinatorics" authored by Akella Mallikarjuna Sharma in our forum and if possible his books. this will enhance your vision of how to approach a tala.

Mannarkoil Balaji

mridhangam

Re: 3+3+3 vs 4+5 and other tala combinations

Post by mridhangam »

In this context i would like to quote Rabindranath Tagore where he says "rhythm is not merely in some measured blending of words, but in significant adjustment of ideas, in a music of thought produced by a subtle principle of distribution, which is not primarily logical but evidential ...."

This says it all.

Om Tat Sat