thala and laya

Tālam & Layam related topics
priyamhn@yahoo.com

Post by priyamhn@yahoo.com »

how can we escape from sarva laghu

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

y should you escape from sarva laghu ? what is the reason ? if you tell me what is your goal then i may try to find out how to escape ... so to say.

J.Balaji
Last edited by mridhangam on 05 Jun 2007, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

priyamhn@yahoo.com

sree balagi do you like to promote sarva laghu or our rair and presious thalams
Last edited by priyamhn@yahoo.com on 06 Jun 2007, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

pryamhn: Can you clarify what you are getting at? I thought sarva laghu is way of structuring the music and it can be done for any thala. Am I wrong?

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

priyamhn@yahoo.com wrote:sree balagi do you like to promote sarva laghu or our rair and presious thalams
What's the connection? Playing sarvalagu in no way hinders one's ability to improvise on kanakkus during the tani. And why should anyone "escape" from sarvalagu? It's one of the most pleasing beats on the mrudangam (you probably have not listened to Shri Vellore Ramabhadran).
-bhaktha

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

May be member priyamhn wants to prove a point that by playing sarvalaghu (which is actually difficult : listen to Vellore Ramabadran's Sir's accompaniment to MMIYER for Maajanaki wherein for umpteen Avartanas he has played sarvalaghu without taking his hands out and being a percussionist my self i know how most difficult it is ...) one cannot appreciate the intricacies of Kanakku or mathematical brilliance or the creation of Talas. For your information there is nothing called your tala or our Tala. Tala has been in existence even before human beings were born. For anyone to accept or appreciate the nuances of Rare Talas one doesnt have to escape from Sarvalaghu is my first Point. and if one wants to really escape from sarvalaghu one cannot be deemed to be fit to play concerts may be he can play only Tani Avartanams.
J.Balaji

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

...and they will be thanis that will quickly loose the attention of the audience.

But perhaps priyamhn might try to put his feelings another way, so that we can see if there is any sense behind his question?

Otherwise he might just as well have asked how we might escape from chairs...

priyamhn@yahoo.com

dear mridhangam,

Let us compare one great tabala player and a great mridhangam player, tabala player can play sarva laghu very nicely and fastly with the help of degga comparing with mridhangist. but the superiority deserves the mridhangist only for his ablility in mathematics. According to my view the mridhanga draw a picture of a LION and the speed and beauty of tabala draw a picture of CHEETA.[in laya side] You can keep your own view and i will keep my own . Expecting for your great opinion.
Last edited by priyamhn@yahoo.com on 16 Jun 2007, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Member Sivapalathalam

Instead of trying to beat about the bush .. kindly let me know the reason for this post. Refer to post No.1 and my question : Why do priamhn want to escape from Sarvalaghu ? (I think priyamhn and sivapalathalam are both members with same ID) Kindly clarify this doubt so that i shall proceed. My Posting in no.6 was only an assumption as you had kept quiet without any reply for a long time. If you clarify my doubt i shall proceed further. No question of LION and Cheetah and ZOOS here in this respectable forum. Kindly do not compare with Tabla as it might lead to further complications in this thread as it might become a sub thread. Stick to the topic and let me know what is the reason for escaping Sarvalaghu.

Thank You
J.Balaji

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

He can only, surely, want to escape music itself!

Everyone is entitled to keep their own view.

Mine is that the mridangam will always be more enjoyable, as it is far superior in sound and tone to the tabla --- just my very personal perception; some will agree, others will claim that yet another instrument is nicer than either!

So no point in the comparison at all

If we are to bring animals into the thread, I think the most appropriate would be that mythical creature the TROLL!

Let us not feed him :)