different talams for varnams

Tālam & Layam related topics
srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

I know that most varnams are set to adi talam, some to khanda jati ata talam, but I dont seem to have come across varnams in other talams like roopakam or mishra chapu, or for that matter in dhruva or jhampa talam. At least they dont seem to be popular on the concert stage (correct me if I am wrong). Any idea why?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Check out this site. There are several hundreds of varNams listed in all tALAs.
http://www.geocities.com/promiserani2/varnams.html

chithra

Post by chithra »

Hi Srinidhi:

yes, we mostly hear Varnams in Adi, and less frequently in Ata Talam. The latter are a bit more complex, and certainly longer. I believe there is even a varnam of old in Roopaka talam, in Hindola Vasantham.

By and large artists do not perform rare varnams or items iin unusual talams because the accompanists do not know that piece.

Chithra

venkmal

Post by venkmal »

Hi Srinidhi:

yes, we mostly hear Varnams in Adi, and less frequently in Ata Talam. The latter are a bit more complex, and certainly longer. I believe there is even a varnam of old in Roopaka talam, in Hindola Vasantham

By and large artists do not perform rare varnams or items iin unusual talams because the accompanists do not know that piece.

Chithra
Please can u send me the notations and lyrics for Kalyana vasantham varnam.
venkmal

chithra

Post by chithra »

Venkmal, I believe a Varnam in Kalyana Vasantham, Adi Talam, is available in all current editions of Sri A. S. Panchapakesa Iyer's Ganamrutha Varnamalika. It is in Tamizh, "ANNalin ANaiyendhi"

chithra

venkmal

Post by venkmal »

thx that i have since u have mentioned one in rupaka i have requested that. venkmal

chithra

Post by chithra »

Venkmal, the Hindola Vasantham varnam is probably in one of the Sangeetha Sampradaya Pradarshini (SSP) volumes - perhaps Sri Lakshman or Sri Davalangi can help

Chithra

Prithvi Krishna

Post by Prithvi Krishna »

There is another Varnam set to Rupaka Thala in the Raaga "Karnataka Kapi" composed by Swathi Tirunal called "SUMA SAYAHA".

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Suma Sayaka is a beautiful piece, it even appears in the film called "Swathi Thirunal" in which Balamurali, TNS and KJY have sung another beautiful song "Pannagendra Sayana".

abadri

Post by abadri »

Here's an audio of Suma Sayaka, rendered by KVN
[rapidshare links deleted]

abadri

Post by abadri »

Suma Sayaka is a beautiful piece, it even appears in the film called "Swathi Thirunal" in which Balamurali, TNS and KJY have sung another beautiful song "Pannagendra Sayana".
srkris, is this the "Pannagendra Sayana" you're referring to?
[rapidshare links deleted]

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Yeah its the same ragamalika. In the "Swati Tirunal" movie, Balamurali sings the raga, KJY the sahitya and TNS the swaras for each raga... I liked it. Most of the songs in the film are good and finely rendered. I havent watched the film but I have an audio recording of the songs alone.

meena

Post by meena »

chembai
was it a tamil movie? who were the stars?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I dont know the stars because I havent seen the film, I have only heard the songs. It is a malayalam film.

http://www.dishant.com/album/swathi_thi ... 1987).html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Chembai,
MIO also has these sonsg: looks like it was a Malayalam film released in 1987. The music director was a Mr. B Srinivas(?). I know that MIO is notorious for factual errors, but it identifies the third voice for the song pannagendhra shayanA as Neyenthikara.
Ravi

ammamaha

Post by ammamaha »

I have seen the movie.If I remember correctly, the third voice is indeed Neyyatinkara Vasudevan.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Maybe so, I am not too sure

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

There are quite a few varnams in kanda triputa talam.

The hindola vasantam varnam 'valaci valaci' quoted earlier, is a chowka kAla varNam in rUpaka tALam composed by rAmasvAmi dIkshitar. Smt Kalpakam Swaminathan and Prof S R Janakiraman have rendered this varNam at concerts in the past.

ramanathan

Post by ramanathan »

The movie "Swati Tirunal" was made in 1987. Directed by 'Lenin' Rajendran, it starred Anant Nag in the title role and Ambika as his consort. The danseuse Sugandhavalli was portrayed by Ranjani. The artistes who sung for the movie include BMK, KJY, Neyyattinkara Vasudevan, K.S. Chitra and B. Arundhathi among others. TNS did NOT sing in this movie.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sorry I missed looking at this thread for a while. Here is the varNa aNNalin ANai but as far as I know it is an Adi tALA varNa.

aNNalin Anai (tAnavarNa). rAgA: kalyANavasanta. Adi tALA.

P: aNNalin Anai Endi annai jAnakiyait-tEDa alai kaDal kaDandAi anrE anjanait-tavap-pudalvanE
A: ashOka vanam azhittAi akSanai angE mAittAi lankaiyai kaDinderindAi iDargaLaik-kaLainderindAi
ittanai sheyal purindum irumArbE illaiyAnAi ettanai EttinAlum ayya nin nigharum uNDO
C: oppilA valimai peTrAi OduvOm undan nAmam

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Here is a different interpretation of this thread title 'different thalams for varnams'. You can laugh at my expense ;)

I was listening today to ARI's smooth and lively vanajakshi kalyani varnam. The recording I have starts only from the Charanam. I did not know the thala of the varnam ( I should have known, given that it is a popular varnam ). I tried keeping Adi for it and it matched. It kept matching for quite a while, swara passage after swara passage the Charana sahithyam fell on the 1st beat of my Adi. And then there was trouble in my little paradise.. :oops: At the end of the last swara passage the Charana sahithyam fell on the 5th beat on my Adi count. After that ARI went on to kalpanaswaras and the charana sathithyam moved to the 1st beat again and the violinist's corresponding position was falling on the 5th beat on my Adi. I backed up a bit to make sure I did not miss any counts... No, my count is OK ... Is this some kind of paddathi that I was not aware of? Then it dawned on me, Duh.. this is an Ata thala varnam... LOL...

It is interesting that my mis-counting scheme did not backfire till the end of the last swara passage. I guess I need to get a good grip on feeling/sensing the various 'angas' of the thalam. I will pester Paramji and others for help on this later at the Laya Vidyalaya in the new year.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

duplicate of the above post deleted