strengthening tala

Tālam & Layam related topics
babaji

Post by babaji »

dear friends

if one has to reasonably master control over tala.develop layajnanam to a level where we don't lose the beat or lose concentration of beat and using that to bring it into singing,tthen what kind of practice must we perform especially singers who want to develop this,i am a singer and if i want to develop talam then what must i practice.i would like a simplied answer.in the sense it could be understood even by me.that is i am a layman right now in tala.how i understand is how i will implement.i need your advice on this.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

We have the best teacher in the house on such matters, Shri msakella. Here are two resources for you.

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2462

AMS Easy Methods CD whose contents have been made available by him for free download.
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=44229

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Brands of Thala guaranteed to strengthen us .
:D
Boy ! I listened to this clip yesterday for the first time,
Got so energised that I felt like a WWF Champion myself.
Of course this is from True Champions !
Unbelievable Stuff ....
http://rapidshare.com/files/75511299/Thani.mp3
Last edited by coolkarni on 10 Dec 2007, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

coolkarni wrote:Brands of Thala guaranteed to strengthen us .
:D
Boy ! I listened to this clip yesterday for the first time,
Got so energised that I felt like a WWF Champion myself.
Of course this is from True Champions !
Unbelievable Stuff ....
http://rapidshare.com/files/75511299/Thani.mp3
who is the artist? the mridangam has metallic sound.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

UKS
Kishen Maharaj
KGS

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

...wow, thanks for the upload, Coolkarni! I've been looking for jugalbandhi thanis or concerts featuring UKS sir, and this is vintage!

Unfortunately, I have to wait till I get back home to US before downloading, because internet here is too slow, but I cant wait to hear it!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, babaji, Even though I am interested in answering your question I could not do so immediately due to my other urgent engagements. Even in your question there are some words, ‘reasonably master control’ ‘develop layajnanam’ ‘don’t loose the beat’ ‘loose concentration’ & ‘simplified answer’ which require much attention.
At the outset it is not that easy to give or understand a simplified answer. In many of my previous postings in our forum I have already discussed this topic and tried to enlighten the aspirants. However, I shall try again to make you understand.
There are many people who aspire to learn music but a very few only can learn it. In which way there are 65 levels in-between 35% and 100% in getting a pass in the examination there are so many levels not only in ‘layajnanam’ but also in ‘control’, ‘concentration’ etc. Even though every being has ‘Laya’ instinctively, music should not be taught unless a person has a particular level of ‘laya’, which could later be developed by regular and vigorous practice of certain exercises furnished in my CD available from http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~chandra/. Basing upon various levels of the requirements the levels of developments should be attained. Ones level of development and the level of concentration should be attained up to a level, which could never be disturbed.
In your case, at the first instance, I have to test the level of your rhythmical instinct in person. I can do this if you contact me and speak (but not chat) to my ID ‘msakella2002’ either on Yahoo Messenger or Skype. amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 16 Dec 2007, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

babaji

Post by babaji »

when asked questions i get fear and don't answer them quickly.but i have been performing in season.and i believe....i don't know how to explain.good speed and also good swara passages combined with certain korvais and good muktayis.but you see these must be functioning in the mind of the singer.for instance seshagopalan mama does'nt plan.he just sits keeps thinking and gets his inspiration.
which means he must understand tala because he combines it with his swaras seamlessly(i don't know how he understands it).

likewise in younger singers i have seen abhioshek raghuram do the same thing.but the difference is here the person is a practicing percussionist.so his level of understanding laya might be on a different plane.probably if i want to understand it i should do it myself.

i believe i got the answer for my own question.....but wait its not complete.what i am looking for is a method by which i can fasten the process and reach my goal quickly.for a person like me who can grasp things very quickly i think i can do it.its all in the attitude.and in that note i would like simplified
understanding of laya so that not only am i innovating but also i am not caught inside a nutshell of only copybook strokes.maybe understanding laya might be simple but bringing it in our voice is something i believe is tough.thats where i am looking for answers M.S.Akellaji!
Last edited by babaji on 19 Dec 2007, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I have mentioned this mystery before:

I am sitting in a concert, and suddenly notice to my embarassment that my putting of talam has not only got out of order, it has also got out off the beat.

Then... I notice my toes tapping, and realise that there is a part of my body which never lost the beat! Even though my own laya-sense seems low to me, there seems to be some unconscious metronome sense in each of us: it is a case of making it conscious and refining it.

And practice.

Babaji, you are miles ahead of me: you are a musician already!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, babaji, Person learning the driving a car for 4 days or for 4 weeks or for 4 months or for 4 years or for 40 years makes the difference in handling it efficiently. Even though the person in the beginning starts handling it both physically and mentally also, gradually his body itself becomes used to deftly do all the things involved even without his mental concentration absolutely. In the same manner the same applies to each and every thing in our life. Even a simple visible driving of a car has so many levels in this manner, how many levels the handling of the invisible Shruti and Laya of divine music has in its own course. However, I feel that I may be able to answer your question in your own coin if I meet you and listen to your music in person. msakella.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Excellent analogy, which really explains a lot.

I had not thought of this at all! I seldom have to consider which gear to use: it is automatic, I am usually aware of which gear it is without looking. Even if I make a mistake with the gears I can correct easily and with little fuss.

And yet I have, for years, been amazed at a musician's ability, even when not putting tala, to immediately hold up the correct finger in answer to a puzzled glance.

I just wish music was as easy as driving!!!!!!!!!!

vasanthakokilam

The analogy extends to the beginners' frustration in both spheres of learning as well. I still remember the frustration I had while learning to drive, my exasperated feeling after the first time on the road, especially the nightmarish act of getting in and out of those horrid roundtana is: There has to be a btter way, this is too difficult and stressful...:) Now I have to force myself to pay attention to the driving since it has become automatic and part of the body with conscious thinking sort of removed from the foreground. The flip side is, this gives a false sense of safety which is dangerous in its own way. I am sure there is a counterpart in music as well to this flipside.

babaji

Post by babaji »

dear members thank you for understanding my want.however i believe interest will further bring me to understanding certain aspects quickly like akellaji said body gets used to deftness of driving a car without concentration.that level should be my target.

recently i don't know whether it was providence but i went to krishna gaana sabha to listen to my friends concert and there was incidentally a mama with a paper sitting in front of me.immediately he opened his paper to read and he was like reading it leftside so the right side of the paper was visible from behind.i saw an article written by veena gayathri and in bold highlightened words there were written
"PRACTICE LIKE A DEVIL AND PLAY LIKE AN ANGEL"
now i am starting to do things which my body soo far did not get used to.definitely for love of music i will master laya.that will be my attitude now.

vasanthakokilam

babaji: That sounds like a great New year resolution. All the best. Keep up posted on your progress. We will all be motivated by you.