Anuloma And Pratiloma

Tālam & Layam related topics
vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

BTW, what happens to the 'Arudhi' in both Anuloma/Trikalam or Pratiloma. It seems to have gone to a state of suspended animation until these maneuvers are complete. In the pratiloma case, Arudhi seems to be at 'Vam' of 'rajayogavaibavam' but in 1 kalai and 1/2 kalai it seems to fall in non-fulcrum points.

sbala

Post by sbala »

vasanthakokilam wrote:It seems to have gone to a state of suspended animation until these maneuvers are complete.
:D. True, I used to wonder about the same but did not want to raise the question here as it might take us on a different track. I think even in a normal trikalam, unless the purvangam and uttarangam are of equal duration, the arudi will not fall at the same place when you change sahitya speed keeping the tala constant. I have not thought about this much but that's my initial feeling. One workaround is sing the purvangam twice, get to the arudi and then sing the uttarangam twice when you double the speed . The other way is change from 2 kalai to 1 kalai so that the tala speed is also doubled when you double the sahitya speed. That way sahitya and tala should be in sync all the time as we are keeping the speed of the sahitya with respect to the thala constant.
Last edited by sbala on 30 Dec 2007, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Interesting discussion. TRS in the lec-dem says anulomam is singing the pallavi in double and quadruple speeds while pratilomam is singing in half and quarter speeds.

Sometimes when Sanjay Subramanyam is singing swaras in the pallavi he will end the swaram on a different edam and then sing the puravangam of the pallavi in half speed so that it finishes on the original position. Is there a technical term for this?