Anga talam...

Tālam & Layam related topics
sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

vasanthakokilam wrote:
Some people want to earn easy reputation by doing some kind of funny acrobatics and this act comes under this category only. amsharma
Having heard about Shri. Raghavan and known a few people who have learnt Thiruppugazh under him, atleast in this case, you can be sure that his goal is not to earn easy reputation. He has been doing this for quite a long time and not too many people outside of a certain circle know about him.
My parents as well several Delhites who have learnt from him can vouch for that. He is referred to as Guruji only. Even the name "A.S.Raghavan" is used very rarely! He used to lead the Thirupugazh Padi Vizha in Delhi's Malai Mandir every year. He is now old and had retired in Madras. His disciples have now formed "Thirupugazh Anbargal" and they are spread out all over the world.

http://www.geocities.com/balu.iyer/guruji.html

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-members, cmlover & vasanthakokilam, I have never heard of Poojya Guruji Shri Raghavan and I never intend to belittle or defame any of our great people and I am nothing before any one of them. I always beg anybody’s pardon if any of my wordings hurt them in any way at any point. Now-a days, every Tom and Dick is trying his/her level best to get easy popularity within no time and, at this juncture, it has become very difficult to find even any genuine person among this bunch of cheaps. So, in that due course, I casually wrote in that manner but not with any wrong or bad intention at all.

Even though I have arrived at the saturation point of Talaprastara having no further passage, still, I always try to learn some un-known thing, if at all there is, to move further. In the same manner I am always very eager to learn the un-known things in this Tala-chapter through somebody or other.

In general, we are used to link any other Tala than the usual ones to folk varieties.
Such folk varieties are not available at all in Talaprastara and all the varieties of Chapu are also part of the main stream but not out of the main stream at all. In which way every figure has its own identity in mathematics each and every rhythmical form, though we may not be aware of it, has its own identity in the universe. But, as per the very-high-disciplined rules and regulations we already have, though many are unaware of them, among all the rhythmical forms of the universe, some of them only should be rendered and the remaining should not be rendered. Even though all these rhythmical forms of Tiruppugal are also already in the main stream of rhythmical forms some of them should not be rendered and the remaining others only can be rendered. That is why they are very intelligently named after ‘Chando-talas’ but even without any specific name like others. And even Sharabhanandana-tala is one such rhythmical form like these Tiruppugal-chando-talas which should not be rendered. But, being unaware of this fact, even our Shyama Shastry, the Great, has even named it and rendered. Being unaware of the relative rules and restrictions, there is nothing wrong if a common man treat them as general Talas and call them folk-varieties. However, I am interested in going through all these varieties of Tiruppugal-talas if anybody kindly provides them to me. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Most unfortunately, the rhythmical form of our brother-member, priyamohan, doesn't even fit in the main stream of rhythmical forms having fractional figures in it. amsharma

chitrathiagarajan

Post by chitrathiagarajan »

msakella wrote:Dear sister-member, chitrathiagarajan, Thanks a lot dear. If it is not inconvenient to you please try to send me the English translation of the details of Talas to my email address ‘msakella2002@yahoo.co.in’/ ‘msakella2002@gmail.com’/ ‘msakella2002@rediff.com’. amsharma
The tamizh to english translation will take sometime Sharma sir.
I will send you the same asap.
CT

msakella

Post by msakella »

OK. Please do the needful at your earliest. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, chitrathiagarajan, Later I have gone through the 2nd Volume of ‘Sangeeta Saaram (Telugu)’ written by renowned Prof. S.R.Janakiraman in which 11 Tiruppugal-talas are funished by him. But, as he had furnished the numbers of units (but called as Aksharas) and some names (either old or named by himself) but not the Angas at all. Unfortunately, in the absence of the knowledge of ‘Talaprastara’, he wrote that these Talas are created by Arunagirinadhar himself even without furnishing any proof.

In fact, for example, if any person claims that he himself had created the figure ‘12345’ everybody laughs at his foolishness. In respect of these rhythmical forms also the same thing happens but the person having the knowledge of ‘Talaprastara’ only laughs at him and all others honour him with great publicity and titles like ‘Sangita Kalanidhi’ or Padma Vibhooshan or Bharataratna or Kanakabhishekam (of course, not with Sunakabhishekam) or make him T.T.D.Asthana Vidwan or some other Asthana Vidwan or with a purse containing One Lakh Rupees or erect his statue etc., etc.

But I shall be happy if you try to furnish these Talas along with names and their constituent Talangas. amsharma

arunk

Post by arunk »

let us please stop this nonsensical name calling all in the name of "i am the only one in the world who knows xyz"

Arun

msakella

Post by msakella »

By the grace of the Almighty, having written three books, 1.Talaprastara Ratnakara (Telugu) / Indian Genius in Talaprastara (English), 2.Talaprastara of Nisshanka Sharngadeva’s Sangita Ratnakara-a critical interpretation (English) and 3.Systematisation of Prastara details of Deshi Talas, each one of its own kind, I do hereby declare that I am the only person alive upon earth knowing the full details of Talaprastara, the 10th element of Tala of Karnataka music. If any sensible person proves my statement false and whatever I wrote in respect of Talaprastara incorrect I am always ready to bow down to him/her in an open meeting of musicians, burn away all the remaining copies of my books and stop talking of this topic for ever. amsharma

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

msakella: Namasrakarams. We recognize your contribution to the carnatic music. You are always pushing rasikas to accept you as authority; it will not come nor will challenge elicit any response. We are grown up individuals and we need to be role models for younger generation, IMHO.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, VK Raman, Pranams. I did not toil myself physically and mentally continuosly for 4 decades in the strenuous research of Talaprastara with the intention to get money or fame or titles or honours or even recognition. I do never do anything for getting such mundane things. More oever, even though my pen and tongue are very sharp in reacting, I never want to belittle anybody as I always feel very little than anybody. Unless I am wantonly driven and pushed towards such things of challenging I never need to do such things at all. If things come to that extent I cannot but challenge not to save my skin but the prestige of the only rarest topic of our music, Talaprastara which I did so. Unless a person goes deep into waters he cannot and should not talk about the depth of it and if at all anybody, by any chance, talks he/she must be controled properly and taught a lesson to repeat the same never. As you very well wrote, we are grown ups and we always need to be role models for ever and I always toil myself, even at this age, to be like that only. Thanks a lot for your timely act of reminding me the same. amsharma
Last edited by msakella on 04 Dec 2008, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.

chitrathiagarajan

Post by chitrathiagarajan »

Sharma sir,
Please check your gmail.
CT

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, chitrathiagarajan, Thank you. Presently I am busy with my journeys to other stations and other engagements. After my return I shall be able to go through them and inform you. amsharma

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Sarmaji
Wish you a great time in the company of our Rasika Forum members!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, cmlover, Thanks a lot to all our members for their incessant appreciation and cooperation. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, chitrathiagarajan,
In order to map the angatalas of Thirupukazh to the talas used nowadays,the
talas have to be set to dhuritha kalam so that the words in the verses and the meaning do not get distorted.
For instance, the angatala jathi, thakathakita thakita thakita are made of 5 ½ aksharas and can be mapped to dhurita kala thisra dhruva tala.
The Thirupukazh "avanitahnile"