Pitch Analysis with Tarsos - A Tool to Investigate CM?

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
joren

Re: Pitch Analysis with Tarsos - A Tool to Investigate CM?

Post by joren »

Thanks for the useful feedback. Resetting your workbench to the previous state is something that should be present for sure. I tried this before but it did not work for some reason. Let's try again.

The other remarks are very useful as well, but some are more easy to implement than others, so I will see what I can do. I will keep an eye on this thread. Bugs can be emailed to joren.six@hogent.be or handled via github.

To cmlover: the fingerprinting system works by comparing pitch class histograms and indicate how much two sequences of notes match. It does not take into account absolute pitch but the pitch intervals. Details can be found in the paper A Robust Audio Fingerprinter Based on Pitch Class Histograms - Applications for Ethnic Music Archives. The 85% match can be interpreted as "the same pitch intervals were most of the time used and also the relative use of pitch classes, the tempo, is similar".

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks joren for the prompt reply and participation.
I had misunderstood the "pitch class fingerprinting" as identifying musical phrases from a fresh piece (haystack). I'll read your paper carefully to get the feel of the process. At the outset it appears it will be useful in identifying ragas (the explicit ones!) in CM. That itself will be a major contribution.
Our more mathematically oriented friends can give you feedback to adapt it for "robust raga identification" in a noisy CM milieu.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

CML: Tarsos already supports a scheme close to 'raga identification'. It is more like scale identification. It uses scales specified in the Scala notation and then matches the pitch class histogram of a piece of music with scale definitions to find a match. I will have to give it a try.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Interesting!
Do please show me by an example when you get the time...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Joren: I tried the scale match using the procedure you outline in your manual

Find the most similar scale to the current scale from a folder of
Scala les.
1. Detect the tone scale of a song. See section 2.3. Important: peak
detection needs to be nished.
2. Create a folder with a number of scala les.
3. Open the folder using the File-Open... menu.
4. The closest scale is detected from the folder and overlayed on the
detected pitch class histogram.

Where will I see the matched scale displayed? Will it tell me if it can not find a match? Will it display the name of the scale that it matched?

In my test, I could not see it do anything. Though my sample was not a strict match to the scala file I made for Shankarabharanam. It is possible I did not do it right. Here is my scale definition.

! Shankarabharanm-G.scl
Shankarabharanam
!

This is actually the Major scale with 700 cents as my 'Sa'.

See if you can give us an example on how to do it with such a scale definition. Thanks.