Sruhti app for veda chanting ...

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
MaheshS

Sruhti app for veda chanting ...

Post by MaheshS »

Recently I've started learning and chanting Vedam, just staretd with Purusha Suktham and Narayana Suktham. I can hear myself going off sruthi as I am learning online. Is there any sruthu app that I can use? What sruthi should I set it to?

I know that it's supposed to be learnt under a proper teacher, but at the moment that's not possible, so trying to make the best of what I can do.

Any and all help much appreciated. Thanks.

raguanu

Re: Sruhti app for veda chanting ...

Post by raguanu »

Shruti Carnatic Tuner ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... yil.shruti ) is an Android app. (I'm one of the developers) It shows the swaram you sing. It also plays reference pitches on demand.

It is primarily intended for Carnatic music. However, I'm sure it can help you maintain your pitch.
  • Do experiment with different Shrutis (kattais).
  • Use automatic swaram detection to watch yourself at specific places.
  • Listen to the reference tones when needed and align yourself to the intended pitch.
Let us know if the app was suitable for your purpose.

Thank you,
Ananth Pattabi

MaheshS

Re: Sruhti app for veda chanting ...

Post by MaheshS »

raguanu wrote:Shruti Carnatic Tuner ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... yil.shruti ) is an Android app. (I'm one of the developers) It shows the swaram you sing. It also plays reference pitches on demand.

It is primarily intended for Carnatic music. However, I'm sure it can help you maintain your pitch.
  • Do experiment with different Shrutis (kattais).
  • Use automatic swaram detection to watch yourself at specific places.
  • Listen to the reference tones when needed and align yourself to the intended pitch.
Let us know if the app was suitable for your purpose.

Thank you,
Ananth Pattabi
Thank you very much. I am a "fanboi" but can source a Andorid device for just this purpose! I will try it in the next few days and give you feedback.