Rudrapatna Venkatramayya

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
mohan

Post by mohan »

Is Rudrapatnam Venkatraman Iyer, composer of varnams in Nayaki (khanda triputa) and Kedaragowla (Jhampa), the same person as Rudrapatnam Venkatrama Sastri. The latter is the respected violinist and grandfather of current star, RK Shriramkumar.

DRS may be able to shed some more light here.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thought this thread is better related to composers, so moved it to vaggeyakaras section.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Yes - that is where I put it in the first place but it was moved to the QA section by someone else :)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

rudrapaTNa venkaTarAmayya (not Iyer) is indeed the composer of the 2 varNas you have mentioned. I have also heard Vid|| Sukanya Prabhakar singing a varNa in kamalAmanOhari which she said was composed by him. He is not the same as R.K.Sriramkumar/s grandfather. This composer is much earlier while R.K.VenkaTarAmA SAstry(Srirmakumar's grabdfather) is the brother of SrI R.K.Srikantan. I cannot recall his exact time period now but he comes from 19th C and perhaps early 20Th Century. He is said to have composed several other pieces which sadly have been lost.

Of course all these maestros hail from rudrapaTNa in Hassaan Dt and from the same communtiy.

Can comeone post renderings of these 2 varNas by various artistes. This is a good oppurtunity to appreciate these beautiful varNas.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks DRS. The Nayaki varnam is rendered by Ramnad Krishnan and available at
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/rnk/rnk.html

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanks for posting the link to the varNa Mohan. I have corrected the topic title so the name is correct.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

DRS: What are the beginning words of the kamalamanohari varNa?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

There is a Kedaragaula Jhampa tAla varnam composed by the same venkataramanayya.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

vaiNika R K Suryanarayana belongs to rudrapaTNa venkaTarAmayya's lineage.
In a concert I have downloaded from sangeethapriya (of course!), just before rendering the nAyaki varNa, he mentions that the next item is composition of his greatest grandfather rutrapaTNa venkaTarAmayya.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The kEdAragauLa varNa is vIribONi nIpai cAla mamada jendiyunnadirA.

nmdharan

Post by nmdharan »

Hi,
I am new to the group. I am actually looking for the fourth charana swaram in nayaki varnam. My guru has written only three charana swarams and has missed the fourth one. My guru vaguely remembers the foruth swaram to begin with NI NI, da p da NI da NI da pa da but is not able to remember the whole swara because she had learnt it back in 1964. Can anyone pleasee post the fourth swaram if you have a copy?
Thanks in advance!!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have the notation for this varNA in three different books but all of them have only three caraNa svarAs.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Lakshman Sir,

Does this starts as 'sarasijAkshi ninnE' ?

nmdharan

Post by nmdharan »

Lakshman sir,
Thanks for the immediate reply. While I was browsing the web for sources, I accidentally stepped onto an mp3 file sung by R.Vedavalli. She has also sung four charana swarams. I wrote it down after listening to it but there are certain places where the recording is not clear. However I thought I would just post what I wrote. The link from where I downloaded the file is http://www.archive.org/details/R_Vedava ... yaki_dec97
The notation is as follows:(I dont know to write the notation in english so i am writing all the swarams in small letter with appropriate karvais.
n,n, ,dpd ndn, ,dpd ndpd I n,,d pmrg I ,rsn dps, II
n,,d psnr srg, ,r,s rmpd I n,dp mrg, I rsns rmpd II
pdps ,pr, srgg rsns dn,d I pdnn dpmp I rg,r srgr II
s,rp mrgg rsnn dpsr g,gr I srg, ,grs I ,dn, ,ndp II

Dear Mr/Ms. Braindrain,
yes the varnam starts with the sahityam sarajijakshi ninne kori marulu konnadira. satya dharma puri vasa varada srimad jaganadeeswara.
the charanam has the sahitya as maru bhari korvadu ra.

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Thanks, I too have heard this from R.Vedavalli.