doubt in pallavi

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
cmrasika

Post by cmrasika »

Hi guys!
I am enclosing a pallavi sample of Sanjay in chakravaham set to kanda jhathi triputa talam. The pallavi line (tiruppugazh) goes as "Apakara Nindhai Pattuzhaladhe Ariyadha Vanjarai Kuraiyathe"..

After the neraval part of the pallavi line sanjay sings the pallavi line in 2nd speed and then in usual 3rd speed. After that he sings the line in kanda nadai 2nd speed and kanda nadai 3rd speed and lands back on the pallavi line--Not very sure about the latter part of this statement.

And am having trouble maintaining the timing for that "kanda nadai portion" of the pallavi or rather not sure how the timing is maintained with the hands for that kanda nadai part. Please help me out. Here is the audio link.

Download Link: http://www.filesend.net/download.php?
f=d9504b13ca806fe5876eab6815aa3f14

Lets put it this way. I assumed that for the kanda nadai portion of the pallavi line, 5 notes per hit is maintained for the timing. Is my assumption correct? Please correct me after hearing the audio clip.
Thanks..

The alternate download link is
http://rapidshare.com/files/178417211/c ... e.mp3.html
Last edited by cmrasika on 31 Dec 2008, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

cmrasika

Post by cmrasika »

Vidya Raja..

Thanks a lot for those invaluable inputs.. It helped a great deal in cracking it. To add to your inputs, it apparently is 2 kalai kanda triputa talam. I Checked it with calculations.

But what amazes a novice like me is how you discovered that the starting of the line was 4 "talli"? Because samam and "4 talli" are agonisingly similar to me.. Not sure when I'll break that jinx that I have with it...

cmrasika

Post by cmrasika »

Vidya Raja

Thanks.... I'll read your reply...,
Last edited by cmrasika on 01 Jan 2009, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

cmrasika

Post by cmrasika »

WOw wonderful... Your replies are awesome.. And crystal clear to undestand... This will now encourage me to crack more pallavis.. Thanks again...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Vidya Raja: Thanks for your clear answers.

As you wrote, for triputa thalas, the division is on the samam of the drutham.

Can you please educate us on the division point ( landing point/pada garbam ) for the other 6 thala types (Dhruva, Matya, Rupaka, Jhampa, Ata, Eka ) and the chapu thalas ( khanda, misra and sankeerna ).

Thanks.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Vidya: I understand what you say regarding eduppu. By suitably choosing the eduppu, the balance/fulcrum point can be maintained aesthetically.

Are there any rules/conventions about which is purvanga and which uttaranga for Dhruva, Matya, Rupaka, Jampa and Ata? I can venture a guess but it is probably wrong.

Dhruva (laghu, drutam, laghu, laghu ) - Samam of the second laghu
Matya ( laghu, drutam, laghu ) - samam of the drutam
rupakam ( drutam, laghu ) - samam of the laghu with atheetha eduppu to keep the balance or viloma rupakam ( laghu followed by drutam ) with pada garbha at the samam of the drutam
jhampa ( laghu, anudrtam, drutam ) - samam of the drutam
ata ( laghu, laghu, drutam, drutam ) - samam of the first drutam

Please provide corrections/commentary