lyrics request: Sapasyath Kausalya

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
pvs

Post by pvs »

Can someone please post the lyrics, meaning and composer of 'Sapasyath Kausalya Vishnu...' in Jonpuri? Thanks very much!
Last edited by pvs on 07 Dec 2008, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

pvs

Post by pvs »

Hello all!
I posted my request for lyrics for sapasyath kausalya - jonpuri a long time and no reply yet. I am surprised this learned forum has not yet responded? a second try please...
Thanks!!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Somehow I missed seeing your post. Here are the lyrics:

sApashyat kausalyA. rAgA: jOnpuri. Adi tALA. Composer: Panchapakesha Shastri.

P: sA pashyat kausalyA viSNum sA pashyat kausalyA
C1: prasava sadana gatha mEnam pUSpAyuta shata kOTi samAnam viSNum - sA pashyat
2: jaladhara shyAmaLa gAtram pankEruhadaLa sannibha nEtram viSNum - sA pashyat
3: kaustubha shobhita kandham rAkA candra nibham vaikuNTham - sA pashyat

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Here is my attempt: I think this describes the scene in the labour room before Lord Rama was born-Mother Kausalya is having the vision of the child to be born. This is what I infer from the words.Corrections/clarifications welcome.

sA pashyat kausalyA -She(Kausalya) saw
viSNum sA pashyat kausalyA-vishNu, (kausalya saw vishNu)
C1: prasava sadana gatha mEnam- him, who had gone into the labour room
pUSpAyuta shata kOTi samAnam viSNum -who was as beautiful as crores of manmatha
- sA pashyat-she saw(him)
2: jaladhara shyAmaLa gAtram -whose body was dark blue in colour like the sky
pankEruhadaLa sannibha nEtram-whose eyes were like the lotus petals
viSNum - sA pashyat-she saw (that)vishNu
3: kaustubha shobhita kandham -whose neck was adorned by the kaustubha hAram
rAkA candra nibham vaikuNTham - who was like the full moon, the vaikuNtavAsi
sA pashyat-she saw
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 21 Jan 2009, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

punarvasu explaining the meaning of the song relating to SrI rAma jananam. How apt! :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good observation, Krishnaa! And she has a beautiful forum name as well.
He is the observer too, as he is the subject and the object...

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

krishna, arasi,
thanks' :)

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

arasi wrote: He is the observer too, as he is the subject and the object...
konnuTeengO arasi.

pvs

Post by pvs »

my grateful thanks to you all! its such a wonderful song...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Excellent job Punarvasu!
just note that it is 'sA apashyat' (she saw) where 'apashyat' is the imperfect third person singular for the dhatu 'd^Rish' (to see).
Also note it is 'gatam Enam' (gone him)..
The viShNum has the very specail meaning here 'the one who desired to enter' (into her labor)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

cml, thanks; yes I knew that it was sA+apashyat.
Made the change in the meaning of ' prasava sadana gatham'-

Thanks for the additional info on 'vishNum'.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 21 Jan 2009, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Since we are discussing about viSNum sabda in this song, I thought these meanings compiled by vainkuNTavAsi SrI n kRSNamAchAri (chicAgo) and SrI SaDagOpan of pomOnA ranganAtha temple might be apt. They refer to various bhaSyAs by pUrvAcharyas like SrI AdiSankarabhagavathpAdAchArya, SrI parASara bhaTTa, SrI rAdhAkRSNa sAstri, SrI sUri, SrI kRSNadatta bharadvAj, svAmi chinmayAnandA and others.

Ref: http://www.ahobilavalli.org/vishnu_saha ... m_vol1.pdf (pages: 39-45)

1. The nAma vishNu refers to the guNa of bhagavAn in pervading everything He has created, including all sentient and non-sentient objects from a blade of grass to chaturmukha-brahma;
2. His pervasion is because of His Sakti; in other words, He is the power behind everything that exists; an instance of His Sakti is illustrated by
His measuring the three worlds with His Foot;
3. His vyApati is indicative of the inseparable relation between Him and everything else outside Him, in the sense that nothing exists without
Him.
4. His pervasion of everything is of the form of His enveloping and showering everything around Him with His Mercy. It is not just His sausIlya that is indicated by this nAma; all His powers including that of creation, sustenance, His Lordship, etc., are to be understood by this nAma.
5. It is because of His pervasion of everything in this universe that things (for example the constellations, the planets, etc.)., are in their
respective positions without colliding with each other.
6. He is also called vishNu because He bestows the wishes of His devotees profusely like a fountain.

cml's meaning for the viSNum reminds me of tiruppANAzhvAr's words "pAramAya pazhavinai paRRaruttu ennai tanvAramAkki vaittAn vaitadanRi ennUL pugundAn "
Last edited by ksrimech on 22 Jan 2009, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is the famous rendering by SSI
http://sangeethamshare.org/kl/35-SSI-LG ... salyaa.mp3

Just notice that SSI is singing
'prasava sadana gata mEnam' which means '(kausalya saw) the MenA who had gone to the Labor room'. Note that MenA is the wife of Himavaan. In other words Kausalya saw menA deliver rAma the incarnation of vishnu etc.,
This is just ridiculous arising from the mutilation of the lyric just to maintain the rhythm of the lyric. Of course SSI is not a sanskrit scholar to understand the defective meaning arising. The pity is following SSI all his shishyas sing in the same way.

Will he ever sing
'prasava aRayil SenRa mEnAvai (kausalya kaNDaaL)'. The rasikas will be laughing right away. Even the devoted 'rama bhaktas' will be outraged.
This shows the importance of artiste and rasika knowing the word by word meaning of lyrics to sing correctly and create the proper bhavam among the rasikas. I have found the literal murder of Telugu (T's kritis) just atrocious after learning the word for word meanings from V Govindan.

I would strongly suggest that the Music being language free, artistes choose lyrics whose meaning they understand. There are plenty of nice songs in all our respective languages. Again there are very talented vaggeyakaras in all these languages who can craft excellent lyrics.

sorry for this rant....