meaning and translation for Bhaja Manasa Vigneswara

Classical Dance forms & related music
rmurthy30@hotmail.com

Post by rmurthy30@hotmail.com »

I need the meaning and translation for Bhaja Manasa Vigneswaram anisham in Bahudari raga. Thank you.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

bhaja mAnasa. rAgA: bahudAri. Adi tALA. Composer: Tulasivanam.

P: bhaja mAnasa vighnEshvaram anisham bhaja pUrvApaNa sadana gaNEsham
A: gaja vadanam duritaugha vinAsham gadashAmanam shata sUrya nikAsham
C: varadam jana sharaNam bhayaharaNam vara muni mAnasa bhAva viharaNam
vara phala rasanaratam bhavataraNam vana tulasIdala pUjita caraNam

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Is there an audio available? I like to listen if some one can help.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Let me attempt to give the meaning/translation. The underlined text is where I have totally winged it!

Corrections welcome!

pallavi

Oh mind (mAnasa) of mine! Worship (bhaja) the lord (ISvaram) who is the destroyer of obstacles (vighna) [1] continually/incessantly (aniSam)! Worship (bhaja) the Lord (ISam) of the gaNas whose dwelling (sadana) is right in front of everything (pUrvApana) [2].

anupallavi

He who is elephant (gaja) faced (vadanam), and who is capable of destroying (vinASam) and entire stream (augha) of misfortune (durita), as well as eradicating (Samanam) disease (gada), and who is (nikASam) as brilliant as a 100 (Sata) suns (sUrya).

caraNam

He is the granter of boons (varadam) to the people (jana) who seek refuge (SaraNam) in him, and the dispeller (haraNam) of fear (bhaya). He is the one who blesses (vara) the sages (muni) so that the never ending cycle of death and birth (bhAva) is removed/taken out (viharaNam) of their minds (mAnasa). He is the one who delights (ratam) when his devotees preceive (rasana) the fruits (phala) of his blessings (vara), and who will help one cross (taraNam) the sea of life (bhava)! He is the one at whose feet (caraNa) wild (vana) basil (tuLasI) [3] leaves (daLa) are offered in worship (pUjita)!

FOOTNOTES

[1] vighna I think means both 'obstacle' as well as one who 'destroys'
[2] I have heard this as pUrvApanam
[3] The composer's mudra or aMkita
Last edited by rshankar on 30 Jan 2009, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lji,

That link is to bhaja bhaja mAnasa, a completely different composition.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

pUrvapana - before a shop; this refers to some particular Ganesha; the location of which may be ascertained if we have a little biography of Tulasivanam.
I have also seen other krthis referring to this pUrvApana GanEsha, by the same composer.

see this sahitya request link
Re: lyric for vigneshwara ..arabhi ..tulasivanamvighnEshvara kumarA. rAgA: Arabhi. rUpaka tALA.

P: vighnEshvara kumarA sakhA (shubhakAraka) varadOdbhava gaNanAyaka
A: vidyEshvara madanAgata vidyAdhara varadAyaka
C: rakSa sadA guNanirvara ranjita pUrvApaNApara
vighnEshvara raktAmbara nata sancAra ramya
Last edited by keerthi on 30 Jan 2009, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Lakshmanji: That link is Swati thirunal kirtan in sindhubairavi.

rmurthy30@hotmail.com

Post by rmurthy30@hotmail.com »

Thank you to both Lakshmanji and rshankar for the translation and to Keerthi also. Could purva refer to direction of east I am wondering? Could anyone please elaborate just on this part of bhaja purvapana. Thanks to everyone again.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sorry about the error. Here is the correct link:

http://sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLOADS- ... .69-MB.mp3

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Keerthi,

Two other possible explanations for pUrvApana(m) occured to me - let me know what you think:

Doesn't apanam also mean bending away? So pUrva (east) + apanam (bending away) = with his trunk bent to the right - pUrvApana gaNESa/valampuri gaNESa?

apanam could also mean bow down to, right? So, the first (pUrva) lord to be bowed down to (apanam) = pUrvApana
Last edited by rshankar on 31 Jan 2009, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I found this by googling:

Tulasivanam

The contemporary composer, rAmacandran nAyar, an IAS Officer from Kerala uses the pseudonym "tuLasIvanam" and has composed numerous compositions on various shrines, mainly in the region of Kerala, Trivandrum in particular. His style is simple sanskrit, and he uses the vAggeyakAra mudra "tuLasI" in all his compositions - employing phrases like "vana tuLasI, kAnana tuLasi" and so forth in his songs. He has to his credit numerous gaNapati songs in praise of the vinAyaka temple at pazhava~ngADi (in downtown Trivandrum, walking distance from the famous Padmanabha temple). We find explicit reference to the pazhaya (old) angADi (bazaar) in the phrase pUrvApaNa that appears in all these gaNapati compositions. Musician T. V. Sankaranarayanan has sung many of these gaNEsha songs in two 45-minute cassettes (AVM audio); also Sankaranarayanan frequently sings a tuLasIvanam gaNapati song in his concerts. His Music Academy 1987 concert had the kAmbhOji k.rti "lambodaram bhAvayE" as the main item. Some of the popular gaNEsha k.rtis by tuLasIvanam on pazhavangADi gaNapati are:

vAraNa vadanam bhaja (gauLa)
vighnEshvara (Arabhi)
vighnEshvara shubhakAraka (Arabhi)
shrI gajAnana (nATTai)
shrI gajAnana pAhi (mAND)
shrI gaNanAyakam (bhairavi)
shrI gaNEsham naumi (kalyANi)
shankara suta pAlaya (gauLa)
shankara sutam anisham (pantuvarALi)
praNatOsmi dEvam vinAyakam (nATTai)
paripAlaya gaNanAyaka (kuntaLavarALi)
parvata tanujA suta (kamAs)
bhaja mAnasa vighnEshvaram anisham (bahudAri)
bhajAmahE shri vinAyakam (hamsadhvani)
girivara putram (dvijAvanti)
Eka radanam (hindOLam)
gajamukha mAmava (rItigauLa)
gajAnana mAM palaya (mOhanam)
gajAnanaM bhaje (kamalAmanOhari)
lambOdaram bhAvaye (kAmbhOji)

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

How interesting! So tulasivanam is talking old shop ;-) Does the word angadi/ angAdi mean shop in malayalam?
It is the word for shop in Kannada. there are many places in karnAtaka, like uppangadi(Salt shop). People native to those places append the place to their names, like the actress, Rohini hattangAdi.

And I don't know about Apanam meaning inclination or salutation. Is it with the first Na or the second na?

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I think it to be as follows-
shata sUrya nikAsham- resembling hundred suns
varadam,-(Him) who is the giver of boons
jana sharaNam,-(Him) who is the refuge of the people
bhayaharaNam, -(Him) who is the destroyer of fear
vara muni mAnasa bhAva viharaNam -(Him) who moves with pleasure in the mental state of the great sages. (The word here is 'bhAva' and not 'bhava').And the word 'vara' here is to denote the 'best or the greatest' and not boon.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 31 Jan 2009, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Punarvasu's explanation makes sense. bhAva-vitaranam and pUjitacharanam also fit better into the rhythmic structure.
Still, one must concede this is an unusual formation. Has anyone come across similar/ identical usage elsewhere??

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I think the word is 'paNam'-meaning store or market.(not the tamizh 'paNam-meaning money- :)
The word 'angADi' is there in tamizh also; one can see this word in the vegetable shops etc in chennai; I think there is this word 'kOOTTuRavu angADi' meaning co-operative store.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 31 Jan 2009, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

PaNam in sanskrt means gamble, stake or earning. ApaNam is shop.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

keerthi, paNa: also means shop I think; but here, in this song, it must be pUrva+ApaNa.
Incidentally the sanskrit word 'paNa: also means coin(Iwas wrong in myearlier post). :)