Swathi Sangeethotsavam 2009 - Prince Rama Varma (Veena)

Concerts and other events related to CM.
devi

Post by devi »

The song list form the much awaited veena concert by Prince Rama Varma at Kuthiramalika on Jan 11, 2009.

1. Kripayapalaya - Charukeshi (wonderful swarams as always with Varma Sir's all concerts)
2. Rama rama paahi rama - Bhoopalam. Varma Sir gave interesting insights into the raga contrasting it with Revagupti. He also sang the sahityam while simultaneously playing it on veena.
3. Palayamamayibho - Khamas
4. Bhavayami raghuramam - Ragamalika (the short saveri alapana before the kriti was AWESOME!!!)
5. Bhogeendra shyayinam - Kunthalavarali
6. Smarajanaka - Behag Complete with elaborate ragamalika Thaanam in Behag, Kapi, Valachi (?) and Panthuvarali (my ignorant musical self tells me I heard a bit of Valachi before panthuvarali, some one please correct if I am wrong) Swarams were a real treat although I felt the kuraipu with the pakkam was wrapped up in a hurry, could be because of the time factor! Thaniyavarthanam started a bit damp but then got enlivened and gave a spectacular performance which made even my 5 year old girl to jump up n down and clap!
7. Vishweshwar - Sindhubhairavi
8. Aaj aaye shyaam - Mishr Pahadi. Well! Varmaji gave all us a surprise and decided to end the concert by singing this song. May be the Full Moon shining above the palace must have prompted him to end the concert in a romantic mood hehehe ;-)
9. Bhujagashayino - Yadukulakambhoji

Prince Rama Varma was accompanied by Sri B Harikumar (mridangam), Sri Manjoor Unnikrishnan (ghatom) and Sri Kottaym Murali (morsingh)

Thank you and Kindly forgive omissions and mistakes !!!
Last edited by devi on 14 Jan 2009, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Looks like a Full Moon dream concert. In fact Varmaji must have been looking forward to this concert fully prepared. The talking veena must have also done its part. Nice to know he also accompanied with voice occasionally. No doubt the Behag was the highlight of the evening. I expected him to float a new rare kriti of Swati. Perhaps he wanted to be traditional and chose the time-tested master pieces. Looking forward to seeing the video one of these days.

Thanks devi...

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thanks a lot Devi .

The atmosphere at Kutharamalika on a full moon night with a descendant of Swati on the Veena must have been a fantastic experience. Look forward to hearing the Prince live on the Veena.

And hopefully rasikas will get to see this concert on youtube shortly.

devi

Post by devi »

cmlover wrote:I expected him to float a new rare kriti of Swati. Perhaps he wanted to be traditional and chose the time-tested master pieces.
CMLover Sir,

Varmaji made a remark about the selection of kritis during the concert. He said in instrumental music concerts one is forced to stick to well known popular pieces. It also looks like he has kindly considered the many requests form his many ardent fans with regard to which kritis should he perform.

I am experimenting as to how to upload the picture of the concert. Sadly I couldn't capture the artiste and the moon together :-(

regards
Devi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

devi wrote: 4. Bhavayami raghuramam - Ragamalika (the short saveri alapana before the kriti was AWESOME!!!)
Devi,
Did sri verma play the rAga mAliga as swaras or the rAgamAligA sAhityam. Thanks for your reviews...

devi

Post by devi »

Some photos from the Swathi Sangeethotsavam of 2009 and 2008. Not very classy ones.. hope we will get nicer pictures later!

http://picasaweb.google.co.in/devi13216

For those who haven't been to Kuthiramalika: This is one of the most beautiful buildings in Trivandrum. On ordinary days one can spend endless hours contemplating the music and the life of the great composer just sitting on one of the steps of this marvelous and quite palace located right at the middle of the city. Cannot thank enough, Varma Sir and HH Sir Rama Varma Maharaja of Travancore Trust, for organising such a wonderful musical event and that too without spoiling the serene atmosphere of the place!

@ Sri Rajeshnat: Varmaji rendered the sahityam in ragamalika and it was one of the swiftest version of the Keerthanam I have ever heard.
Last edited by devi on 14 Jan 2009, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Nice pictures Devi
In fact the moon looks like 'makara jyOti' appropriately!

harisub

Post by harisub »

Devi,

More pictures at: http://picasaweb.google.co.in/vihar7/Sa ... savam2009#

(there is one with the full moon and the stage)
Last edited by harisub on 15 Jan 2009, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

devi

Post by devi »

Yes Sri Harisub, I saw your photos and commented on one too! They are indeed very nice! Thank you!

(May be the Moon on the sky got apprehensive about being out shined by the Star on the stage and kept a safe distance from being caught together... hehehe)
Last edited by devi on 15 Jan 2009, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Wonderful pictures harisub :)
Especially the one with the Full Moon.

Thanks a lot.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Any sign of the resident owl this year?

Any reviews or comments from the owl?

devi

Post by devi »

Yes Nick, 'Owl Ji' is very much there. I spotted an owl on the roof top during Sri Rama Varma's concert. I didn't know that it was 'the resident Owl'. I noticed a stir among the audience when it made its appearance, may be to greet the many familiar faces ;-)
Last edited by devi on 15 Jan 2009, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

devi

Post by devi »

Next time must remember to take a snap of the owl! (Harisub Sir please note!)
Last edited by devi on 15 Jan 2009, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Amazing pictures with even Lord Padmanabha (indunayanan (one with moon for his eye)) in attendance. It must have been an amazing experience! Thanks for sharing them!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think it was 2006 that we attended the festival, watched the owl, and were told that it (or they) was resident. Delighted to hear that it is still there and enjoying (one hopes) the music.

arasi

Post by arasi »

The night owl got itself up early for the musical morsel...

harisub

Post by harisub »

Thanks devi and cienu.

I am now trying to find a way of posting the picture directly in the forum, as Gowri Narayanan had done.

(No bats, though!)
Last edited by harisub on 16 Jan 2009, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

harisub

Post by harisub »

Now I have managed to insert the image directly.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

That is a lovely photo, and captures the atmosphere very well.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Beautiful! I would assume that the owl must have gone on a prowl for food but with Full Moon above and Varmaji's amrita varsha the chaataka must be around :)

Layavinyasa

Post by Layavinyasa »

Thank you very much Devi for the writeup and thank you Harisub for the amazing photos. It really does
make me wish I was there.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks for the lovely photo...

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Wow, what an atmosphere! Thank you all for your pictures.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Very nice pictures; thanks for posting .

harisub

Post by harisub »

Thank you, Nick, cmlover, Layavinyasa, prashant, bilahari and Punarvasu. Hope I will have more opportunities to post pics.

devi

Post by devi »

The videos have started coming from the concert. For those who havent got a chance to view them here are the links!

Behaag Ragalapana/Ragamalika Thaanam

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZpp6zOqY2s

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhPwKTTEMGE

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvz4-kGv3YI

Enjoy Varma Veena!