V.S.Narasimhan - Violinist

Carnatic Musicians
S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Profile of Sri V.S.Narasimhan

Composer, Music director and Founder and First violinist of the Madras String Quartet, V.S. Narasimhan was introduced to South Indian Classical music (Carnatic) in his very early years by his father, V. Srinivasa Iyengar, a virtuoso of the string instrument, Gottuvadyam. As a young boy, he accompanied his father’s gottuvadyam recitals on the violin. Later, he started playing violin as the youngest member of the orchestras of the film industry in Chennai. It was at this time when he became attracted to western classical music, pursued its study and eventually began leading the Madras Chamber Orchestra.

He has since scored music for several major south Indian movies. He has also scored music for albums and special projects while working with well-known Indian legends such as A.R. Rahman, Ilaiyaraja, Karaikudi Mani (mridangam virtuoso), and other innovative musicians from abroad including John Kaizan Neptune and French violin virtuoso Gilles Apap. Mr. Narasimhan has performed widely throughout India and abroad.

He has recently released an Album -'RagaSaga' featuring 10 famous Carnatic Compositions.

Please visit this website for further details ;

http://www.stringtemple.com

Regards,

S.Nageswaran

msakella

Post by msakella »

Excellent rendering of the Kriti Mokshamugalada-Saramathi-Adi of Thyagaraja. Really I enjoyed it well and want to congratulate the great artist, Shri V.S. Narasimhan heartily. amsharma

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Rasikas living abroad (In particular USA AND CANADA),

I have already posted a letter in our forum under the caption "V.S.Narasimhan"

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I have heard the mOkshamu rendition on Youtube several times and it's very meditative, and importantly it's also sparse, such that we can appreciate the composition itself well. The members of the orchestra complement VSN very well and I'm definitely going to purchase the CD. Thanks for this thread and your e-mail, Sri Nageswaran!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Just downloaded the album. Will listen to it leisurely in a couple of days.
Have high expectations since the reecommendation comes from Nageswaran :)
Will post comments....

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Just heard 'paratpara' (vacaspati) - a sheer melody for 3:47
No percussion- a sheer melody with occasional strumming from the viola which gives that eerie effect to the song. The short interlude is just magnificent. VSN is giving a new direction to CM by melding with the WM!
Will post after hearing rest...

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear cmlover,

Thank you for your comments about Sri V.S.Narasimhan’s string quartet song Parathpara .

In the Album "RAGA SAGA"

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Sri.S.Nageswaran,
Thanks. I will definitely listen to it. Do you know his email as I can write him in private? VKV

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear vkv Sir,

Thank you for your response in the thread.

I will send the E-Mail ID of Sri Narasimhan through the forum mail to you.

S.NAGESWARAN.

cacm

Post by cacm »

S.NAGESWARAN wrote:
I make a request to you to inform about the Album to the Rasikas in USA through mail since I don’t know as to who are the Rasikas living in USA.

Sri VKV, V.K.Raman, Lakshman, Aasi, Vasanthakokilam are the few people who will immensely enjoy the music from the Album.

S.NAGESWARAN.
Dear Sri. S.Nageswaran,

1) I bought & listened to the entire album yesterday. Here I am hoping to share some of my reactions:

Sri.V.S.Narasimhan has broken NEW GROUND in this recording. Apart from the great Ravi Shankar & other greats like: L.Subramaiam, Vinayakaram,Ravi kiran, U.Srinivas-this is not a complete list- who succeeded ADMIRABLY most of the attempts to combine carnatic music with other systems have been abject failures because of what I feel is the "TAKING THE BEST FROM EACH SYSTEM ETC" syndrome. (It is not too dissimilar to many Indians who claim to Take the Best from North american & Indian cultures but in reality seem to end up combining the worst- at least in my opinion) .......

Sri.V.S.N. has been quite innovative while being faithful to both western & carnatic tenets while bringing out the best in bothsystems. In my opinion it is a great acheivement. Of course the SONIC purity is quite admirable! VKV I am separately writing both of you in more detail.

2) On another subject YOUR reminiscences in another thread is very interesting not only for nostalgic reasons but for the actual new content not known to many including me. I URGE you to write in even greater detail. To me it is far more interesting than many things on this site. Thanks, VKV
Last edited by cacm on 22 May 2009, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear Sri VKV,

Thank you for your visit to my thread "V.S.Narasimhan, Violinist and your reply post on the thread.

After hearing the compositions played in the string quartet by Sri Narasimhan at his residence, [I felt like Sri Ramanujar receiving the Mantrobadesam of "OM NAMO NARAYANA" from the Lord Vishnu] and inform all music lovers.

I wanted to bring to the notice of the forumites residing in USA. Since the thread was dormant for almost a month, I have sent a forum mail to beloved cmlover to visit the thread and spread the message to the forum members in USA,
Fortunately you have visited the thread, bought the Album and enjoyed the uniqueness of the compositions and posted your appreciative views in the thread.

Kindly post your further views in the thread [and mail to our forumites alsoArasi, V.K.Raman, Lakshman, Vasanthakokilam. etc].

Thanking you ,

S.NAGESWARAN.

ganesh_mourthy

Re: V.S.Narasimhan - Violinist

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

I am just wondering if Narasimhan has done music score too ?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

ganesh_mourthy wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:00 I am just wondering if Narasimhan has done music score too ?
GM,
VS Narasimhan has done few thamizh movies as a music director . One movie by name kann simittum neram with the song vizhigalil kOdi abhinayam is quite a hit in 80's . You can see quite an influence of illayaraja there in this song where he has made spb and chitra sung this song. Atleast this song each of us can mistake as isaignani illayaraja has composed this song, hear the flute violin interludes with percussion rhythmn of the below song .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsJUT-4 ... DMcptOl34K

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I just heard in an interview of Ganesh (GK) that he has played the violin for a movie score with V Z Narasimhan as director.