Palghat Raghu

Carnatic Musicians
divakar

Post by divakar »

It was nice to see Chembai, GNB in a video clipping. Was wondering if ARI and MVI were also video taped while in a concert.
hope we get to see them in action through some benefactor.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

We could approach the Madras Music Academy (if somebody has the "guts" :P). There may be some video recording of ARI, MVI and MMI.

mohan

Post by mohan »

New website about Sri Palghat Raghu at http://www.palghatraghu.org/

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

The problem with all these websites is they never get updated. Once would expect newer audio clips to be added, or some videos. It could be that the creators do not get the time to keep revisiting and adding content. But the site started with a big bang and got me all excited, and then kinda tapered off and became dormant with no activity. Raghu Sir is a scarce commodity when it comes to digital listening !!!.

kamesh

Post by kamesh »

Hello all I am a new member .I am mridangam artist and in particular I am a fan of raghu sir.I like his unique style of accomplishing.I have some of his concerts,but I don't have some of his old recordings with chembai,GNBariyakudi,pattamal etc can anyone can help me by uploading such concerts

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

There is a concert of SSI with MSG and Palghat Raghu wherein I think that the pallavi sang is in the ragam Khamboji. Bye Ragjay

yogeeshk

Post by yogeeshk »

hello to all fans of SRI RAGHU SIR,
iam hearing raghu sir since 35 years. His accompaniment is superb especially to varnams. FOR swara prastharams in keerthanas his anticipassion is something special.especially for KVn s vocal his accompaniment is excellent
ABout 10 years back i heard a concert may be at krishnaganasabha where KVn sang with CHandru sir on violin and raghu sir on mridangam.The concert statrts with begada varnam ,Seshachala nayakam, Samajavarada submain is Prakkal nilabadi and the main item is Amba nannu brova ve in Todi if any one is having that great concert please please upload.

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

Yogeesh
I think this has come as a commercial release.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

yogeesh , i dont think it was as recent as 10 years ago. it was way back in 1982 if am not wrong.

Arvind

yogeeshk

Post by yogeeshk »

ignoramus
thanQ. As i stay in ANdhra uam ot able to get the commercial version. Can u tell,e who released it so that i cn get it in my next visit to chennai.

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

let me check that out. looks like kosmic or something to me. i thought i had two volumes

yogeeshk

Post by yogeeshk »

ignoramus.
Thank you very much for the information. I got the recording from my friend who is chennai. It is an marvelous accompaniment by Sri Raghu sir, EVen the thani is thrilling covering almost all ythe gathis in Adi talam. Thank you very much. One more request I already have one cd of lalgudi garu'ssolo along with raghu sir, In which Kapali is mail item can anyone has another kutcheri with lalgudi garu's solo concert.If yes please upload the same
yogeesh

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

Yogeeshk

not aware of the lalgudi solo which you mention with Raghu Sir. is that a commercial releasE?

inconsequential

Post by inconsequential »

Ignoramus, yes it is a commercial release. But somehow, I felt it was not the maestros at their best. Probably, when lgj's style was seeking a different kind of laya support. lgj-krm seems to be the dream combination. There is another concert of lgj with PR and GH - starts with asAvEri varNam and has EtAvunnarA - kalyANi.

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

Hi Inconsequential

Thanks, will search that out. Do you know the recording company by any chance? I am yet to hear any of the LGJ-KRM combos, will look forward to it. I do have some old LGJ PMI combo clips, they too look good I feel.

inconsequential

ignoramus wrote: Do you know the recording company by any chance?
I will look at the tape and let you know. Forgotten. It is a 3-tape release
I am yet to hear any of the LGJ-KRM combos, will look forward to it.
When you listen to them, you will know what you have been missing. There are any no: of tapes in the stores. There was a series of (4 or 5) tapes of lgj's with KRM and THV. One of them having simhEndramadhyamam rtp. There is another tape with only a nATTaikkurinji rtp.

vganesh

Post by vganesh »

If you have DTH or if you can listen to AIR Ragam channel, they play some old collections. Few days back I heard Shri.Palghat Raghu's Thani (exclusive not with any vocal). It was in Rupaka thala and was wonderful.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

Dear All:

Thanks. It has been a good experience to me. As I need to work and earn a living I will not be having time. All faults may kindly be pardoned. Yeah, I am leaving.

May the Almighty bless you all.

Regards

Guru aka P.G. Aiyar

inconsequential

ignoramus wrote: Do you know the recording company by any chance?
sorry for the late reply. forgot to do it during the weekend. It is Kosmic - masterpiece (3 vols). Live concert at SKGS, Dec 1984.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 25 Nov 2009, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

Miserable way to start the day and 2009 looks gloomy,as Cool just said. May his soul rest in peace. Cant forget the 2 hours i spent at his house, just before his 80th birthday.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Mods - There is another post; we may like to merge these two.

mohan

Post by mohan »

A detailed article on Sri Raghu is available at http://www.vijayalakshmysubramaniam.com ... traghu.htm
I think this appeared in Sruti and is written by Dr Vijayalakshmi Subramaniam.

kamesh

Post by kamesh »

oh no!we lost a great maestro.There is no substitute for him.May his soul rest in peace ! !
Last edited by kamesh on 02 Jun 2009, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

SSK

Post by SSK »

Another great loss of mridangam maestro and great vidwan, who represented the past generation and was known for training current generation mridangam vidwans. An unassuming vidwan for all his years of service. He will always be remembered for his style, his gentle strokes, that tocuhed many souls. He was an ideal accompanist and every senior musician that I know had high regards for him. May his soul rest in peace. May his teachings and his style will live for ever.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

What a loss, just knew now. What a great mridangist he is , perfect kAlapramAnam , outstanding azhuttam and sound. I can never forget few KVN- PR specials . Also of late there was one Vijayashiva - Palghat Raghu Sir- Abhisek raghurAman in kanjira combination at ayodhya mandapam . I remember his controlled and brilliant play for a suddasAveri krithi was simply superb.

Condolences to his family members and all his sishya paramparAs . He just let his mridangam do the talking and his soft spoken mannerism was a super asset to him. Feel very very sad to hear this bad news.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

This is indeed a great loss to the music world, and a loss to the art of carnatic music. Fortunately his tradition is secure in the hands of his students and family, especially his grandchildren, Abhishek and Anand.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Hi All,

I agree to all of your views.

regards.

yogeeshk

Post by yogeeshk »

its indeed a greatloss to the field of carnaticmusic. His style is unique.His style always merges with vocalist or insrumenatlists whom ever it may be.May his soul rest in peace.
I had opurtunities listening to live concerts of him during 1985-90 when I use to come to madras for listening the kutcheris during season,It was a great experience hearing him while accompanying sri KVN and ramani sir etc.
My request is still pendning please tell me where i get good solo concerts of Sri Lalgudi with raghu.
yogeesh

tkb

Post by tkb »

sincere condolences.

Shalu

Post by Shalu »

Sincere condolences - loss of another gem in the treasure trove

SSK

Post by SSK »

Nice tribute to the vidwan from the Bangalore section Hindu:
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/06/05/stor ... 810300.htm

inconsequential

SSK, thanks a lot for that link. very fine tribute.

chetants

Post by chetants »

Dear Rasikas, yes, it is a colossal loss for carnatic music and more so for percussion. Who can ever forget the manner in which the maestro used to take the main performer to sublime heights? His accompaniment for KVN's Viriboni varnam would give an indication of just what was in store for the concert.

I remember, Vidwan K.S Gopalakrishnan's flute concert with PR(or should I say PR with KSG?) at Thiruvananthapuram way back in the early nineties, was the first concert that I ever attended. Being a total novice, I was so enamored with PR's filling up the gaps or "singing" for the Krithis even though my knowledge and appreciation for CM at that time was restricted to a few pieces from MMI and MDR. I still remember, an enthusiastic and smiling KSG stopped playing many a times and pointed out to the audience how well PR was embellishing and was being a rasika himself on the dais!

May the hands that provided pure bliss for 7 decades rest in peace!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Can some body confirm the accompanist here is Raghu sir or PMI??

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/asokan/CARNATIC/063-SSI/

The audacity ( especially in Sri Mathrubhootham ) suggests this is PMI - but some places sounds like Raghu sir.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Shankarank, it does not sound like PMI, it must be Raghu.

Update: Opinion changed after listening to some more songs from the concert. It is indeed PMI.

Kambhoji

Post by Kambhoji »

I think this is PMI.. I listened to the Evarani piece, I noticed a few "pauses" in his playing which is typical of PMI style. Raghu Sir plays this song differently having listened to the KVN rendition of evarani.

Layavinyasa

Post by Layavinyasa »

I just got an update from Prince Rama Varma's channel (musique4ever) that made my day in the most wonderful way. I am copying the contents and the links here. Raghu mama truly was in a league of his own.

'A mind blowing Thaniavarthanam by Legendary Mridangam Maestro Palghat Raghu and Udipi Sridhar for the Maharaja Swathi Thirunal composition "Raasa Vilasa" which, as far as I know, is one of the few, if not the only composition by any composer which starts at Onnara Edam (Six counts after the first beat) in Randu Kala Chowkam. The challenge posed by this unusual edam inspires the maestros to dizzying heights of brilliance. I offer this video with my prayers as a tribute to Raghu Sir who left us all recently. I wonder whether one would come across a brain like his ever again.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG_KOdHUQos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIDtigDAvpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjorhH0rZLg

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

Layavinyasa and Prince Rama Varma

Thank you very much. this is outstanding , shall cherish this

ignoramus

Post by ignoramus »

Layavinyasa and Prince Rama Varma

Thank you very much. this is outstanding , shall cherish this

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

wow... thanks a lot coolji.. takes me back to those years at the music academy when i was learning mrudangam and hyd bros concerts with raghu sir and a young abhishek raghuram on the kanjira.....

Arvind....

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

kam

Post by kam »

Hello all,another wonderful concert of Mandolin U.Srinivas with Great Palghat Raghu sir on Mridangam.The link is below : http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads/us/air/
Last edited by kam on 28 Jun 2009, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

coolkarni wrote:
semmu86 wrote:wow... thanks a lot coolji.. takes me back to those years at the music academy when i was learning mrudangam and hyd bros concerts with raghu sir and a young abhishek raghuram on the kanjira.....

Arvind....
Another trip to those years .This time for a U Srinivas Concert !!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0tymyxrim ... -RAGHU.mp3
thanks a lot sir.. wonderful clip ..

Arvind

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

Hi,
I found these on YouTube, uploaded by Shri. Rama Verma. Truly wonderful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9usmhZoj ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WphxOl6 ... re=related

Raghu Sir fans, enjoy !!!

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

07/Dec/09

Dear Mr. Prashant: Can you please refresh the Raghu sir's thani for KVN's Sri Subramanyaya?.

Dear Mr. Radhakrishnan/Ignoramus: May I request you both to refresh the Raghu sir's thani links provided by you?.

Dear Thathwamasi: Can you please refresh the Raghu sir's thani with TH Vinayakaram?.

God bless you all.

Regards

Guru

Kambhoji

Post by Kambhoji »

Listened to this amazing Tani Avarthanam by the Master in Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9usmhZojjNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WphxOl6 ... re=related

The way Raghu Sir lays out the Tani is exceptional. There is a certain grandeur in the way he structures the tani that is so captivating.
The tonal quality of the mridangam is supreme. The Nadais, the Korvais and the complex rhythmic patterns for which is he is so well known is exemplified here.
Authentic Laya vinyasam indeed.

Sadly this Master is no more. Sorely missed!

kam

Post by kam »

Dear rasikas,today is Sri Palghat Raghu sir's birthday.Even though he is not with us his distinctive style in playing mridangam always make make him live forever.His tani avartanams with complex and highly mathematical Korvais bear the stamp of innovation, scholarship and majestic mastery of this complex instrument.Here is one of his Thaniavartnam :

http://www.4shared.com/file/192318701/4 ... tanam.html