AMS Easy Methods 2007 CD - Teaching and Learning Methods

To teach and learn Indian classical music
srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I feel notating in excessive detail shall end creativity and flexibility in our musical system, and curtail its evolution.. Quite opposite of cmlover, I guess.

If children learn the skeletons and backbones of ragas from gurus and other masters, they will fill in more details according to their own aesthetics and creativity. This is true for children who have a passion for music, and wish to pour themselves out creatively in music. The other children need not learn music. Let them learn something else and do well in that field; let them excel in it.

If they learn ragas in 60-gamaka notations, they will definitely limit themselves to those 60 because that itself is a very large number. This is what children really interested in music will do. The others might even turn away seeing such a scary amount of detail, unless they are imprisoned by pushy parents.
Last edited by srikant1987 on 14 May 2009, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

manjunath

Post by manjunath »

Girish

You said " I have been reading Edward de Bono's "Serious Creativity" in which he mentions that it is more important to reward creative effort than just the results of creativity. I found this observation very practical.

If someone is trying to do something different, encourage them. They may fail, but they tried sincerely. If you don't find their work satisfactory, either help them improve it or move on if you aren't interested. But don't put people down."

1. I hope this is applicable for every one and not only for Akella ji. Akellaji wrote negative about a talented kid called Vinay Rahul( violinist) performed in the presence of MSG, at Chennai . Except one or two no other so called rasikas supporting akellaji are said that is wrong on the part of Akellaji. In the open forum he tried to kill the career of a talented kid. This boy is also happens to be the disciple of Akellaji. The boy's father has not followed Akella ji's advise to stop the education and concentrate in music . Irrespective of many negative attempts made by Akellaji, the boy continued in music. Akellaji doesn't like this to happen and openly tried to kill the boy's career. Please see the postings in general discussions - Invitation of Vinayrahul .

2. He disrespected most of the teachers in almost all of his postings saying they charge money and not teach properly. This is not right. Teachers have to look after their families and they do have their own plans in training the students. If really. Akellaji has served for the music can he name at least half a dozen of his disciples who learned under him for more than five years and they are "A" graded artists today.

I just want to know who can be called a True Guru. Can some one define this under a new thread " TRUE GURU" for the benefit of other up coming musicians.
Last edited by manjunath on 14 May 2009, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, cmlover, At this age and with this much of experience I must do only sensible acts which abundantly benefit our society. Even though many wish to do so it is possible only by the grace of the Almighty as nothing is in our hands. In my case, since my childhood, it has many a time been proved that I am able to do many such things only by the grace of the Almighty.

For example, while a door permits even people or bigger things to move from one side to the other along with air, a window permits only small things or small birds or small creatures to move from one side to the other along with air, a ventilator permits only air from one side to the other but nothing else. But any building-contracter without having prior knowledge of the difference between the door or window or ventilator cannot utilise the correct one in the construction of a building. By all this it should always be construed that while the first level of act is imitation the originality starts only later. Even in respect of Svarakalpana and Ragalapana, while many are telling that there are no easy methods at all in getting the ability of singing Svarakalpana or Ragalapana, I have made my own experiments upon a number of students who are handy in my Music College I was working and finally found a successful way out for this perennial problem. Having different kinds of opinions people are ready to confute but not to believe them as such novel things could only be experienced but not describable in terms of words.

As you wrote this system is more analytic shaping the aspirants more and more confident, courageous and creative. One of my vocal students, Chi. J.Shriram of 16 years of age who had recently appeared for the 10th class NOS (National Institute of Open Schooling) examination and who has been learning from me since last 4 years had already given nearly 30 successful music-concerts and I shall try to put some of them either in youtube or esnips and furnish the link here. amsharma

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Rasika911, I agree you have a preference for the traditional method but you are jumping to conclusions about Sri. msakella's method. I am not sure if you have given it due consideration. Like a sculptor or a painter, it is not enough to just see the works of past masters. It gives you ideas and inspirations but you still need tools and techniques to bring out those ideas. That is one of the aspects that msakella strives to achieve in a predictable way. Yes, one can say you keep on painiting in random ways, pretty soon you will get the hang of it. That is one way. The other way is to teach students exactly the techniques involved in painting. I do not think that necessarily means you are curbing the creativity of the student painter.

One thing that many people do not seem to know is that manodharma aspects like kalpanaswarams are not entirely on the spot creativity. Kalpanaswarams require a lot of laya ability even more than swara ability ( contrary to what one may think intuitively ). Getting a great grounding in laya early on provides the fertilized platform on which the swara creativity can bloom later on. Strength in Laya gives you that confidence because that platform is not shaky so you do not mind standing on top of it, even jump up and down joyfully, even willy nilly, without any fear of falling.

It is like extempore public speaking. The exact words you speak on a given day may vary from the previous day but it still requires a framework which needs to be rehearsed at home.( barring some exceptional cases ). Otherwise it will be a jumble of incoherent ideas not fitting together well. But given a well rehearsed framework, you can see a public speaker improvise on the fly. Why? Because that well rehearsed framework gives that person the confidence to improvise.

It may sound like a contracdition but it is true. For unbridled improvisation, you need a well rehearsed platform/grounding.
Then please explain why we all went to music class for several years learning all the varshais, singing them in akaram, singing them in different ragams, learnt geethams, tens of varnams and krithis! I can say that doing the above will give you the best set of paint brushes on the market :)

If you would like to take shortcuts when building a structure, you may get away with it for a few days, you may get away with for a few weeks, you might even get away with it for several days but one day its all gonna fall on ur head! :)

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

srikant1987 wrote:
Rasika911 wrote:The best way to sing an alapana for karaharapriya is to learn several krithis in it, there is no better proven way. Other methods dont require manodharmam and the student will be simply packaging without having any idea what they are singing.
Listening to several good alapanais, neravals and svarams is also a good way to learn what kharaharapriya really is, imho.
I agree 100% this can be of great use as well. Semmangudi used to make his students listen to him sing alot and rarely used to ask them to sing along.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

[quote="msakella"]Dear brother-members, Rasika911, vasanthakokilam, rajeshnat, cmlover and girish_a, Thanks to all of you for your sincere efforts in supporting my novel methods of teaching

Vasanthakokilam’s observations "Kalpanaswarams require a lot of laya ability even more than swara ability ( contrary to what one may think intuitively ). Getting a great grounding in laya early on provides the fertilized platform on which the swara creativity can bloom later on. Strength in Laya gives you that confidence because that platform is not shaky so you do not mind standing on top of it, even jump up and down joyfully, even willy nilly, without any fear of falling"

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

msakella wrote: In this respect I have also brought out 27 facets of Kaishiki-nishada alone in my above CD. All these things I did only as a start for doing such things but not to earn money or recognition or fame or titles or awards at all. Even though few people think that I never produce even a single disciple my disciples always shine far above many of their contemporaries as I always take every care in shaping them as a replicas of mine even without expecting any monetary benefit from any one of them.

In which way we train our kids to take out the ghee out of the milk, if the music-aspirants are also trained how to take out the element of Raga from the Varna or Kriti through the detailed knowledge of symbolised Kampitas and Gamakas it becomes easier to the aspirant to make Ragalapana also efficiently on his own. I always respect the stalwarts or teachers who strive hard sincerely and honestly in shaping their students just as their replicas. amsharma
The facets of kaishiki nishadam is best learnt without knowing it when learning krithis. When u become too aware of certain things it can go wrong. If u tell someone not to think about bananas when taking the medicne then what are they going to think about when taking the medicine?

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

cmlover wrote:You make lot of sense Sarmaji. Listening to one's guru or listening to stalwarts will make a student simply just imitative. On the otherhand your approach is analytic which will make them creative. Do give site references to your student's performances available on the net so that we can listen and assess their creativity in swarakalpana as welll as aalaapana.
I want to hear them sing alapanas as well, i know swara korvais can easily be taught but alapana will be interesting because the kid needs to have a certain strength in their voice and ability to sing gamakams clearly for this.

P.S Sorry about the string of posts i dont know how to multi-quote :(
Last edited by Rasika911 on 14 May 2009, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Rasika911, I provided my response to you without realizing that your question was rhetorical and intended for some dry debate on teaching methods ( vidandavAdam ;) ) . I am not qualified to engage in a debate on teaching methods. All I can say at this point is instead of dismissing this method off hand, give it due consideration over time, then come to a judgement.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all. The easy methods I found out in teaching music are the proven methods for me and may not be for one and all and I shall not compell anybody either to believe in them or follow. Mainly basing upon the results only these methods are finalised that too in the interest of the poor aspirants but not to make a show before other teachers or Vidwans however great they are. More over, I am always ready to give these details to any person having a positive approach without expecting anything, in turn, from him, believe it or not, as all these things are showered upon me by the Almighty only and I sincerely believe that they are all the property of anybody being the incarnation of the Almighty Himself but nothing else. But, if any person, by any reason of his own, responds in a nagative way, I shall be compelled to stop responding accordingly. That’s all. amsharma

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I wonder how many musicians have made any particular study of the methods and practice of teaching?

From what I understand, partly from fellow forumites, the tradition in Carnatic music is one of simply being around and absorbing.

Even though my mridangam guruji brought up students to professional level while he was still in Chennai, I know that, once he moved to UK to take up full-time employment as a teacher, he came to completely re-assess his art and method of teaching.

msakella has, obviously, made a deep study of the arts and methods of teaching as well as the art of music.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, nick H, You are absolutely correct. In shaping our kids just as replicas of ours we should re-assess ourselves first and proceed later. Had all our elderly musicians took each and every care in efficiently symbolising our various facets of oscillations of notes in evolving the system of notation writing for documentatioin and also evolve periodically the methods of teaching flawless and fruitful the entire music-field would have been in a different way producing a number of talented teachers who, in turn, ably serve the society efficiently. amsharma

sr_iyer

Post by sr_iyer »

Rasika911,

While I have no disagreement with the fact that learning good compositions enhances one's understanding of a raga, there are certain aspects (my humble opinions) I would like to indicate below --

1. Learning compositions in a raga is not the only way to build up an ability to sing/play alapanas. As a counterpoint, consider the nagaswara vidwans over ages. Playing expansive raga alapanas for hours together pre-dates the trend of playing of compositions on that instrument (I believe before the Tiruvizhimalai brothers, playing a lot of kritis on the nagaswaram was not very prevalent; of course, there were a few nagaswara vidwans whose kriti repertoire was significant but there were many who did not learn compositions - I believe the mainstream practice previously was ragam rakti and pallavi on the instrument).

2. You say "what use is it to know a ragam without knowing any krithis in it?". Though I can understand your sentiment, I beg to disagree, given the paradigm of the raga system of Indian classical music. My opinion is a kriti/any-composition (however great and classical) is an instantiation of the raga. Understanding and exploring any raga can stand on its own and need not be only in the context of the composition which (may) follow(s). This perspective, of course, is not limited to the presentation style in concerts.

3. It is not difficult to find cases of persons rendering good alapanas without knowing many kritis in that raga. Nor is it difficult to find people who can sing kritis of various levels of complexity quite well and yet deficient or diffident in rendering alapanas. Yet, I agree with the popular sentiment that learning kritis enhances the ability to render good alapanas. My humble viewpoint (not original :-) is as follows. The ability to sing an alapana is akin to building up the ability to speak a language. Learning, say, several poems (or, compositions/kritis in the realm of music) cannot guarantee the ability to build up the ability to speak a language (sing an alapana). Speaking a language dynamically or singing an alapana needs the (intuitive or conscious) cultivation of the skill of expressing meaningful thoughts in real-time and conformance to grammar, connecting them appropriately, presenting a micro and macro picture of the content. Once this skill is built up, a new perspective opens up, of being able to cull out great thoughts from the corpus of poems/kritis to make the spoken language or the rendered alapana richer. Absence of the aforementioned mentioned skill may handicap people, not allowing them to tap out of the corpus of ideas in the poems/musical-compositions to fit it in the right context of their speaking/alapana.

4. Lastly, from these columns, I have been a silent rasika of the logical and systematic thought-process manifesting in Sri Akella's posts - as Nick points out, it points to deep study and ripe experience. I hope we can avail of many more excellent writings of his in the field of music pedagogy, talaprastara and violin playing, among others. (In this specific instance, I am not aware of his process of teaching alapanas and would be interested in knowing more about this. In my humble experience, rendering alapanas came intuitively -- with some instrumental skills informing vocal thoughts -- and 'teaching' raga alapana to others in my limited experience has required effort and patience.)

Sorry for this long post, much of it quite basic!
Last edited by sr_iyer on 15 May 2009, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Good explanation sr_iyer. I was a bit troubled by Rasika911's implication that Sri. msakella's method is a short cut and it lacks strength. My impressions are of course diametrically the opposite of that, I believe his method involves building a great foundation. But others of course can have different opinions, that is perfectly fine. But what troubled me a bit is when such scholarly work, arrived over decades of analysis and experimentation, is dismissed off hand without a serious look at what it is all about. Your explanation provides the necessary context to understand his method for all of us.

I encourage rasikas and musicians to take the time to learn about sri. msakella's method at a deeper level. Plenty of material is available, he has written extensively about his method here at our forum, in addition to making his entire work available for free to everyone.

sr_iyer

Post by sr_iyer »

Thanks vasanthakokilam. As you point out, Sri Akella's methods are very rigorous and rich and I have been very impressed with his writings.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

When I looked at the easy methods download page in Sangeethapriya, there were so many downloads that I was a little overwhelemed. Is there a guide that explains how one should go about learning the methods?

manjunath

Post by manjunath »

Girish ji,

Purchase his books and CDs.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-members, sr_iyer & vasanthakokilam, Thanks a lot for understanding and supporting the novel methods of teaching music I am bringing out.

In this method, even while learning Varnas some rhythmical exercises and some easy-muktayis in terms of Mridanga-jatis and also in terms of Svaras in different Ragas, Sampoorna, Shadava & Audava forms have to be practised for some time and then after finishing some typical vocal exercises Ragalapana has to be started in a phased manner. This entire process takes between 6 to 9 months. Presently I have one Vocalist of 16 years of age and another Violinist of 24 years of age who have rigorously been trained in this system. Now, trials are being made to upload some of the excerpts of Ragalapana of the Vocalist within a few days for reference. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, girish a, In this mp3 CD, AMS Easy Methods-2007, along with 481 audio files there are 17 pdf files (9 of English and 8 of Telugu) in which you find all the details to learn music on his own enabling the aspirant living even in a far of place from our country progress easily and quickly but with rigorous and regular pratice. amsharma

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

I want to make it clear that I didn't just have a go at msakella's methods for the sake of doing so, it's just too much for me to comprehend. I think if msakella had brought together his innovations together with the traditional way of teaching our music it would have been a little easier to digest for people like me with very superficial knowledge.

I have seen msakella's page on sangeethapriya and I agree that its a great resource for any carnatic music aspirant (althogh if some of the varnams had been sung with sahithyam it would have been even better so i could have learnt them :)

I do not doubt that msakella has done alot for carnatic music without expecting anything back in return and I respect that however, his generalised comments about gurus was not appropriate especially when coming from someone in his position. Gurus have great respect in our music system and deserve that respect. Every guru will have his/her different styles of teaching and if msakella wants people to repsect his method he should repsect other peoples as well even though it may not be what he believes is the right way. Suggesting that gurus only teach music for money ect. can be avoided in my humble opinion.

Also I am sorry if i had offended anyone in my previous posts.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, Rasika911, Being one among all the teachers how can I disrespect any other teacher? Never. It is also shameful to do so. I do never disrespect any honest, sincere, efficient and loyal teacher at all and also I always expect all the teachers should be revered as Gurus in true sense and save the prestige of all such other Gurus. But, the teachers who are inefficient, dishonest, insincere and disloyal may feel otherwise on my comments for which I can’t help. Of course, feeling otherwise is very easy than reforming himself to serve our community properly. My main aim is to serve our community honestly until my last breath.

I have also been one among all the teachers being inefficient but never insincere, dishonest or disloyal. In fact, now, I feel that I had successfully shaved (but not saved) all my students in the first half of my service of 16 years and, only after some introspection, I could do little justice to my post as Lecturer in the second half of my service. More over, I am not that clever to evolve all these novel methods of teaching our music on my own but the Almighty made me all that great by making me do all these things like ‘mookam karothi vaachaalam’. I have received all these things from HIM and I am giving them back to HIM who remains in all these beings around me. THAT’S ALL.

I have no enemies and even brother-member, manjunath is not my enemy not to respond. Had he gone through all the minute details of the previous incidents he would not have written anything against me in which way even Haribabu, the father of Vinay Rahul, did never curse me even in the midst of his misunderstandings. amsharma

raje

Post by raje »

Hi,

I have been trying to access the files posted on the link but get an error. Is the download site down?

Thanks
Raje

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, raje, The website ‘eSnips’ is working properly and the link of the audio files is http://www.esnips.com/web/AMS-Violin-Demos amsharma

manjunath

Post by manjunath »

Akellaji,

Sorry if I am bothered you with my write-ups . I know you are a Ideal personality. If you see my postings initially , i have given lot of respect for you and your suggestions. I have many relatives in Hyderabad , Vijayawada in A.P. I heard lot from few good musicians about you , Mr.Haribabu and his son. As per as my knowledge , from the people i heard Mr.Haribabu is your right hand and that is the reason you encouraged and trained his son in music. When I heard great about this boy in hyd/vijaywada , i really wanted to see him but couldn't. I saw him one day in a hotel near begumpet . I was with hectic schedules and could not talk with him since he was already on the stage . In the last few years I saw many kids performing in classical arts. But some have i found some extraordinary skills in this boy. When I saw his Chennai invitation in the forum ,i really felt like be there in chennai. It was too short time for me and was already in Delhi. Again I missed the boy. I only felt bad for your writing about the boy . As a Guru you should have to correct and encourage these type of children even if they do any mistakes. Because, now a days talented children are not showing interest in learning classical music /arts and Vinayrahul parents seems to be positive in encouraging him. This is where True Gurus should think and act rightly and encourage children continuing in learning our classical arts.

Recently ,One of my friend Mr.Anand without referring my name called Mr.Haribabu from states and invited Vianyrahul to perform in the states. It seems Mr.Haribabu told him that money is not the matter,My son has to balance studies and music and at this time i do not want to distrb him by sending to states. This is what exactly said by his father . I have requested My friend Anand to organise his concerts in next July/August'10. Akellaji, Vinay Rahul's father seems to be a sincere person in doing things. You should not discourage such people. At the same time your posts againist teachers also pained me lot. I know personally , the life styles of many teachers and musicians . No government or society shall help them out in their problems and at the same time senior people like you disrespect them. In my opinion these teachers are only safe guarding our music and culture . Our arts are reaching to many people through these teachers only. Musicians like you should help them out in keeping up their standards. Instead of supporting them, person from same community disrespecting is not good. It is my feeling. If you can't help them, do not trouble at least. I heard from the people that you are impatient and short tempered. My suggestion to you, if you really want to serve the society, please be patient , listen to others and coolly suggest your ideas and methods. Do not jump to conclusions and discourage musicians. Sorry if i am written any thing wrong. This is what I heard and wanted to tell you instead of writing in the forum every time. Try this and see the results.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, manjunath, As I did never disrespect private teachers at all but salaried teachers among whom many are not loyally performing their duties in the absence of any academic supervision and also as it is not etiquette to write all unnecessary histories in these columns I would like to stop this discussion here. Of course, I am always ready to prove my innocence at any time. amsharma

sbala

Post by sbala »

VK,
I think the title "easy methods" is misleading and could lead people to misinterpet akellaji's method as a method that lacks depth. On the contrary, I think akellaji's approach make one extremely strong in the basics and gives the foundation to tackle the more complex areas. He is not a man to mince words (and if you meet him, he will probably convince you that the problems exist), but let that not distract us, for we will be missing a truly unique and great piece of work.

vasanthakokilam

sbala, that is the title of the CD and I will defer any possible name change to akellaji. We can change the title of this thread to "The AMS Method - Teaching and Learning Of Carnatic Music by A.M. Sharma". I will let akellaji comment on this before acting on it. Thanks.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-members, sbala & vasanthakokilam, Believe it or not, I am writing this post practically shedding tears from my eyes for the harm made by me to our kids due to my inefficiency as a music-teacher for many years. Having worked in the Govt. Music Institutions for 35 years long years as a music-teacher knowing nothing about teaching but only performing, having successfully shaved (not saved) my poor and innocent kids for nearly 20 years and having struggled to the saturated point in making the process of teaching time-bound and result-oriented to our kids of Karnataka-music in the absolute absence of such knowledge from any corner, at last, even after 12 years of my retirement, now, I feel that I could successfully do something concrete to our kids.

In general, among a batch of 10 or 15 students of any music-teacher, only 3 or 4 or 5 students only come up and all others become stranded at one point or other. But, in this novel system of teaching music the fate of any student will certainly be decided within the first 6 months of his training and the aspirant who continues his studies beyond this period making strenuous practice can certainly become a reliable teacher at the least though not a successful performer.

Unfortunately, in the methods of teaching our Karnataka music, the traditional system has been used everywhere and by everybody. Even though I am successfully stamped as impatient and short tempered (of course, I relish that as I am truly truthful) I cannot but tell that this traditional method of teaching mostly helped the music-teachers to earn more being also lethargic in teaching. Having so many bitter experiences in my life in this respect I am compelled to write this in spite of all the uproar I may have to receive from all the corners. At this fag end of my life I don’t need to remain as a hypocrite. But, at last, even at the fag end of my life, only by the grace of the Almighty, I was able to find a way to serve our kids efficiently, honestly, sincerely and loyally getting far better dividends than any other teacher on earth. That is why I have named them AMS (Advanced Music Systems) Easy Methods which unimaginably made the process of teaching music dead easy, successful and highly reliable.

Last year, when I was invited by Shri K.V.Ramanachary, IAS, the Executive Officer of TTD, Tirupati in connection with upgrading the S.V College of Music & Dance as Deemed University I told him that the music imparted to the aspirant should be flawless and confidence-giving in making him live on music irrespective of any designation of the Institution. I also told him that I am more interested only in conducting periodical workshops on Svarakalpana and Ragalapana to the talented students and other works relating to the up gradation of the Institute will be made by my friends Dr. N.Ramanathan, retired Professor and Head of the Department of Music, Madras University and Vidwan Shri K. Sheshadri, once my colleague and retired Principal of the same College who have very kindly agreed to help me in this project. The EO very kindly agreed and I was able to train six students in Svarakalpana in a period of 3 moths attending for 3 days in every fortnight as a record in the annals of this Music College ( their renderings could be found in the link <http://www.esnips.com/web/AMS-Svarakalpana> along with the names of the students).

Thus, I feel that the reliability of the system is more important than the name of it. However, as, by the grace of the Almighty, this system is truly serving our kids efficiently, I don’t mind even if it is renamed properly by all our forumites. amsharma

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Sarmaji
None of the files in your link
<http://www.esnips.com/web/AMS-Svarakalpana> are currently available...

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all, I am not well versed with many of the operations of this computer. However, with great difficulty, I could upload some of the music files and thinking that they are safe there I have furnished those links for reference. But, unfortunately, all those things are simply vanished and I have to redo the same again. In the meantime, by one of my friend’s suggestion I have uploaded two of them to rapidshare (better to call it even stupidshare in my case). In that chaos you can easily find one file is uploaded twice, adding fuel to the fire. Please go through them. However, I am thinking of uploading them to esnips again along with all others. amsharma
http://rapidshare.com/files/234233423/0 ... 4.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/234238012/0 ... 8.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/234236239/0 ... -11.18.mp3

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all, Today I am able to re-upload all the vanished files to esnips again and the link is http://www.esnips.com/web/AMS-Svarakalpana. Along with them I have also uploaded two audio-files of Chi. J.S.Shriram’s vocal music.
Chi. J.S.Shriram is of 16 years of age. He is the 2nd son of Shri J.S.Eshwara Prasad, a Dance exponent of Bhakti-sankeertana mostly popular in Tamil circles of Tamilnadu, Karnataka and Kerala and abroad with his Nritya-sankeertana concerts and Chi.Sow. Chidroopa Lakshmi, a house-wife and a gold-medalist-post-graduate in Music (Vocal) singing also All India Radio concerts. His elder brother is also an amateur Violinist and a software engineer.

Chi. Shriram came to me in his 13th year while learning Gitas from her mother and I, having found a genius in him, told her mother that I shall give him a plan for learning music on his own and not to interfere unless he commits mistakes in the process. She agreed and as per the plan I have given him my CD, AMS Easy Methods and asked him to get the six Gitas by heart by constantly listening to the respective audio-clippings and following the pdf files containing the notated Gitas. He fulfilled it very quickly within a week’s time. Later, I have asked him to sing the 9 Varnas in the Ragas Natakuranji, Kambhoji, Darbar, Shankarabharana, Kalyani, Begada, Todi, Saveri, Bhairavi and Svarajati in Bhairavi, one after the other in the same manner by constantly listening to the respective audio-clippings of them and following the pdf files containing the Varnas with symbolized notations.

Astoundingly he could finish-off each composition in a single day. Gradually, I have given him all the rhythmical exercises and the easy-jati-muktayis in all the six popular Talas, Rupaka, Khanda-chapu, Mishra-chapu, Adi (medium-tempo), Adi (slow-tempo) and Adi (Trisra-gati) furnished in my book, Sangita Svararaga Sudha. Within a very short time he could efficiently finish all of them. Later, I have explained him the symbolized Gamakas and asked him to proceed further by learning Kritis on his own in the same way in which he did previously. Even from the beginning I was only guiding him properly removing the mistakes but not teaching him regularly. Even from the first Kriti I have initiated him to sing the easy-jati-muktayis in terms of respective svaras.

By regular and knowledgeable practice of more than 6hrs. a day he was able to develop on his own. Later, I have asked him to start singing of Ragas with the help of the respective audio-clippings and symbolized notations provided in my book, Sangita Svararaga Sudha explaining him the relevant intricacies of the different oscillations. In this process he could very efficiently finish the Certificate syllabus of 4 years within a very short period of one-and-half-years only and passed the examination with distinction. To facilitate his regular heavy practice he had also chosen to continue his studies under the National Institute of Open Schooling of the Govt. of India and also started giving music-concerts of 2 hrs. at so many places. Later, even after finishing the syllabus of Diploma examination in Music on his own and in my guidance he already appeared for the final year Intermediate examination and is ready to appear for the Diploma examination in Music. Till now he had given more than 30 music-concerts of admirable standards of which some excerpts are uploaded now and plans are afoot to upload some more of them. amsharma

sbala

Post by sbala »

Akellaji,
I listened to Sriram's clips. He sings really well. Thanks for bring such fine talents to the fore.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Shriram is singing beautifully, his voice has got a lot of azhuttam, great tutoring akella gAru...

vasanthakokilam

Thanks akellaji for introducing Shriram's music to us. He sings excellently. The AMS method does indeed pay off.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-members, sbala, rajeshnat & vasanthakokilam, Thanks a lot to all of you for your kind appreaciation.

I am also thinking of uploading some of the video-clippings of Chi. Shriram even though there are some constraints in regard to the size and duration of the clippings. However, I shall try to do the needful.

While feeling happy about the successful results of the novel system of teaching music to our kids and also the sincere appreciation of people like you I have my own doubts about the music teachers in implementing this novel system lest they loose much of their income by quickening the process of teaching on one side and, on the other, unless they themselves, irrespective of their Laya instinct, get proper acquaintance of all these rhythmical exercises by regular practice, they cannot teach them to their students. By all this, even though some may openly compromise with these methods, many of them hesitate to follow them. Recently in the meeting of the Board of Studies in Telugu University, when one or two teachers openly spoke supportively others also, having no other way, have followed the suit but declined to teach them to their students in the class. Many of the salaried-teachers working in all these Institutions are not at all interested in teaching them even in the interest of building standards among our kids. Unless the aspirants or their parents become aware of this time-bound and result-oriented system of teaching music and demand for quickening the process of teaching and making the aspirants more knowlegeable in Svarakalpana and Ragalapana it is not possible to get out of this menace. amsharma

bahudari

Post by bahudari »

Chi. Shriram's singing is excellent. Sharma Sir thanks for uploading.
msakella wrote:Chi. J.S.Shriram is of 16 years of age. He is the 2nd son of Shri J.S.Eshwara Prasad, a Dance exponent of Bhakti-sankeertana mostly popular in Tamil circles of Tamilnadu, Karnataka and Kerala and abroad with his Nritya-sankeertana concerts and Chi.Sow. Chidroopa Lakshmi, a house-wife and a gold-medalist-post-graduate in Music (Vocal) singing also All India Radio concerts.
However, I have observed that most of the successful people in music have it in their blood. Is there any example of a successful musician who did not have a musical lineage?
Last edited by bahudari on 19 May 2009, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

manikandan

Post by manikandan »

there is nothing like music adulterated blood. The environment they are brought up in really counts. I have observed many parents insisting their children to do sadhakam in room while they carry on with their soap watching with couch potatoes. There should be some amount of dedication from the parents too. I think a majority of population frown when you accidentally come across a canatic music program which you like to watch or something you want to listen to in the radio. You can call children in such environment as non music blood unless they get recourse to some musical surroundings or some external catalyst works on them.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, bahudari, I myself am one among such examples having never been taught properly by anybody and even without any positive environment, My father had learnt 4 or 5 Varnas and very few Kritis on Vocal and Violin but could not play any one of them reasonably. He did not learn but was also able to play a little of Mridangam, Harmonium, Flute and Veena and little of Dance too. He was a professional Astrologer and Ayurvedic-doctor. Among all of them I have chosen Mridangam at my age of 3, Harmonium at the age of 8 and lastly Violin at my age of 17. Even though he wanted to thrust Astrology and Ayurveda also on me he encouraged me a lot as he could not fulfill in music. In spite of umpteen hurdles I could become a successful musician even at this of 70 that too only by the grace of the Almighty. My mother was a house-wife being able to sing some folk songs only. amsharma

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

msakella wrote:Dear brother-member, bahudari, I myself am one among such examples having never been taught properly by anybody and even without any positive environment, My father had learnt 4 or 5 Varnas and very few Kritis on Vocal and Violin but could not play any one of them reasonably. He did not learn but was also able to play a little of Mridangam, Harmonium, Flute and Veena and little of Dance too. He was a professional Astrologer and Ayurvedic-doctor. Among all of them I have chosen Mridangam at my age of 3, Harmonium at the age of 8 and lastly Violin at my age of 17. Even though he wanted to thrust Astrology and Ayurveda also on me he encouraged me a lot as he could not fulfill in music. In spite of umpteen hurdles I could become a successful musician even at this of 70 that too only by the grace of the Almighty. My mother was a house-wife being able to sing some folk songs only. amsharma
Congrats for the success of your students! Hopefully there are many more srirams to come and I will continue to check you youtube account for updates. All the best :)

prabharavi79

Post by prabharavi79 »

Shriram has sung very well. The due credit goes to Sharma ji and Shriram's parents for all their support, guidance and love.
Shriram, please practise more & more and you will surely reach the top list one day.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all, At the first instance I would like to thank our brother-members, Rasika911 and prabharavi79 for their kind appreciation.

Today I have uploaded some more video-clippings of my disciple, Chi. J.S.Shriram, Vocal and another disciple Chi. O.Rajashekhar who had accompanied him on Violin to eSnips. The link is http://www.esnips.com/web/AMS-Svarakalpana. Either to esnips or youtube, I am also trying to upload some more videos of small new kids very patiently trained by Chi. Sow, Chidroopa Lakshmi along with her son Chi. Shriram in rendering intricate rhythmical exercises. All these videos of kids are being uploaded only to prove the efficiency of the system in tapping out the latent musical talents of our kids and the patience and dedication of the teachers Chi. Sow. Chidroopa Lakshmi along with her son, Chi. J.S.Shriram in shaping these kids.

Again I shall take this opportunity to bring out some very important points to the notice of the enthusiasts. I categorise the music-aspirants into 4 grades and among them while the aspirant of I-grade practises heavily, regularly and meticulously and capable of learning music even by mostly listening to the pre-recorded music of either cassettes or CDs furnished by me but doesn’t need regular lessons at all from me, the aspirant of II-grade practises on and off and learns like I-grade aspirant, the aspirant of III-grade practises heavily and regularly but needs lessons from me being unable to follow the pre-recorded music well, and the aspirant of IV-grade practises on and off and learns like the III-grade aspirant in other aspects. In general, as I cannot exert myself at this age of 70 years and also intend to make the aspirant work heavily on his own, I am used to entertain the aspirants of I & II-grades only. My disciples, Chi. J.S.Shriram, Chi. O.Rajashekhar and Chi.Vinay Rahul belong to the category of the I-grade and, of course, I feel proud of them. My disciple, Chi. Shriram came to me at the end of his 12th year of age, had less than 30 classes that too only for guidance in the span of first 2 years as he was able to learn everything mostly on his own with the help of notations and audio CDs furnished by me and even Chi. Rajashekhar and Chi. Vinay Rahul had not more than 90 classes of both for lessons and guidance together in a span of first 2 years.

As per my system I shall equip my student with all the needs and initiate him to do things on his own. If a person had to go to an unknown place like Mumbai or Delhi or Calcutta, he should at first be equipped with his needs like clothes, money etc., etc., and, later be initiated to proceed on his own. Then only his brain becomes sharpened in deciding and doing things on his own avoiding any failure. If not, if this person depends upon others for his needs he always become dependent upon others and his brain never develops in doing things on his own. Right from the first day of lesson I am mostly used to initiate my student in doing things on his own and in this process I am always used to teach my student very strictly up to Varnas only shaping him able to proceed on his own even from learning his first Kriti.

People may not believe me and tell that I am exaggerating things being ‘head-strong and thick-skinned’ if I tell that in this process of teaching up to Varnas vigilantly while a vocal aspirant needs maximum number of 90 classes of both for lessons and guidance together a violin-aspirant, as instrumental teaching involves hands and fingers usage also, needs maximum number of 180 classes for both lessons and guidance together. Even this maximum number of classes will be reduced depending upon the hard work of the aspirant and his understanding and assimilative abilities. If the aspirant is below 10 years of age having more than 60% instinct of Laya and regularly works hard preferrably in the morning hours for more than 2 hours while learning upto Gitas, more than 4 hours learning up to Varnas and more than 6 hours learning Kritis etc. the above mentioned number of classes is more than enough to make him a reliable teacher.

As the aspirant spends more time at his residence than at the institution the time spent at his residence must be taken into consideration to make him work more at his residence. Previously, very limited gadgets like tape-recorders were available for recording the music and, being hefty, it was not convenient to carry them along. Nowadays, a number of portable gadgets like iPods and various mp3 players are plentily available to the aspirant to use them at any time and at any place according to his will and pleasure. So, these modern gadgets must properly be availed by the aspirants for their development. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, manikandan, As you wrote a majority of the population frown upon classical Karnataka music and the kids learning this music cannot flourish unless their parents encourage them properly and do the needful with dedication towards this art. But, fortunately enough, the parents of my disciple Chi. Shriram, being artists themselves, creates an atmosphere of its own and work along with him in encouraging him to the maximum. In fact, many of the parents are highly interested in shaping their kids only as Doctors or Engineers. But, when Chi. Shriram himself had chosen to continue his general studies through the National Institute of Open Schooling (NOS) and work hard for more than 6 hours a day particularly on music, his parents also, unlike many other parents, encouraged him to do so and ultimately, now, even within a very short span of 4 years, he is able not only to finish off both Certificate and Diploma examinations in music along with the Intermediate examination but also give more than 30 successful concerts of more than 2 hours each and regularly assisting his mother in training the young talent successfully. To tell the truth, I have never seen such parents who truly encourage their kids and work hard accordingly in the true interest of their kids. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all, I am very happy to know that nobody has any doubts in respect of these novel methods of teaching music even after going through all the mind-boggling material I have posted. Very nice indeed!!! amsharma

valliRCN

Post by valliRCN »

A.M.S, You seems to be mad till accepting the forum to say yes to your methods. Late Shri BRC Iyengar use to tell us about you and i have recollected it when I saw your postings. Dsgssing attitude.
Last edited by valliRCN on 28 May 2009, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, valliRCN, I wrote this post to instigate the people to come out with their doubts, if any, but not for the people having no doubts. Yes, truely I am mad of disgussing the advantages and disadvantages of this new method but not to make the entire forum accept my methods. I am working hard even at this age only for the benefit of our kids but not for any praise from any quarter. More over, these things are not meant for traditionalists at all. amsharma

valliRCN

Post by valliRCN »

A.m.s , The rasikas.org forum itself is built for the traditionalists like me who keep alive of this culture and music . Without we you are not here.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

dear valliRCN
since you have just newly registered, if your intention is to provoke a controversy please desist. If you wish to counter sarmaji on issues/points by all means go ahead. Thanks.

vasanthakokilam

Right on, CML.

Also, valliRCN, I do not know where you get the idea that rasikas.org is built for traditionalists or modernists or any other ists. Just read, participate, enjoy, contribute and take what you can. That is all there is to it. Sri. Akella contributes to the forum in a big way by educating us on various matters related to CM. He is part of the building crew and not an onlooker to an already built structure.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

valli you can disregard sharmaji's posting...

and sharmaji disregarded too.....

simple..

this forum is more of a cafetaria..

Take only what you want....

Good luck.