Film music orchestra and the number of instrments

Music that is not orthodox Carnatic or Hindustani.
gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

We have heard about fim music directors very proudly proclaiming that they use say nearly 50 violins , flutesand other dozens of other instruments apart fom the drums ,tablas etc. Is it necessary or just a ruse to employ instrumentalists, who are rotting, fleecing the Producers . what difference does it make whether it is 2 violins or 50 violins and numerous other instruments gobilalitha

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

what difference does it make whether it is 2 violins or 50 violins and numerous other instruments ?

Gobiji.....2 violins will not be enough for this kind of a scene and song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTymuIMYPY

Cheers....Sam
Last edited by Sam Swaminathan on 18 Jun 2009, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

THANKS.wonderful picturisation, Though I have heard this song very often, I never thought that it will be so nice to see. wishing you and all your family members all the best . oh , my God!! what a story coolji has posted..Language at its best(I still remember the snub for using it's, instead of its ) Always keeping Wren's grammar near the system . gobilalitha

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

COOLJI. I always feel sad whenever the song(chain ko hum ko kabi) is mentioned or heard. because it was the last song Asha, who reached the top spot equal to Lata, because of the maestro OPNayyar, sang under his baton.ditching him after that, An ungrateful act. I am never tired of singing his praises. Can you forget 'chhota sa balma. Asha's birga laden voice fully exploited by OPN. GOBILALITHA

arasi

Post by arasi »

GBL,
In case you have not seen Sam's post in the Hemant Kumar thread, do! Without violins--not even one, and with just a harmonium which he played himself, he sang for three hours! A tabla was there, of course. Sam was a young lad then and was enthralled by his singing at a concert in the Music Academy.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

yes I have seen it. During those days when melody reigned supreme ,a harmonium and a tabla will work wonders in the hands of capable music directors gobilalitha

mohan

Post by mohan »

Film music directors of today can do without any instrumentalists. Using software tools, the music director can introduce numerous tracks of various instruments and then just add a vocal track!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

An IE accompanied his friend on a hunting trip. The friend aimed at a high flying bird and shot it. As the bird fell to the ground the friend proudly gazed at the IE who 'cool'ly remarked : "you wasted a bullet, the fall itself would have killed him!" :)
Moral: Deficiency is not Efficiency :)

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou0B9T89L0g

Hey, the big orchestra is not so bad after all...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, ragam-talam. A great song, a great film with BinaRoy and Pradip Kumar who was a bit wooden though, when it came to acting!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Bina Roy tO sundar laDkI
balkI
Pradip Kumar tO bandar lakDI :)

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

How dare you all forget Joy Mukerjee another wooden faced hero. Fortunately most of his films were saved by OPN'S music . Another unequql pairing was Bina Roy with husband Premnath ,who looked more like Tarzan. AHA!in this thread the old timers poondhu vilayada arambichutom (have started playing their game) I THINK cm lover would have seen every BINA ROY FILM MANY TIMES as seen from the adjectives he used to describe her beauty gobilalitha

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

She was elegant and dazzling, wasn't she?
(as much as Premnath was the Tarzan (I would say Tarzan's companion rather :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Getting darwinian, are we?
bandar--and Tarzan transformed into an ape too? It was funny.

Cool, I said a 'bit' wooden because : nil nisi bonum--not because I am a diplomat, as suggested by you :)
Last edited by arasi on 20 Jun 2009, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

kapali

Post by kapali »

I want to know the raga of MS's film song " Engumnirai naadha Brahmam" in the Tamil film --Sakhuntalai . Can any body enlighten?

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

IT IT IS JUST LIKE ghara of hindustani music..' MOHE PANGAT PE NANDALALA BY Lata in Mughal-e-Azam. try you tube for this song , don't you fid the resemblance / gobilalitha

kapali

Post by kapali »

Thanks for the link, I tried the same ---the resemblance of ' MOHE PANGAT PE NANDALALA' seems quite close to Engumnirai naadha brahmam song but still i am not sure if it is exactly the same raga , looks like a hindustani classical raga, perhaps some expert can some more light on this.