Kampitas and Gamakas

To teach and learn Indian classical music
valliRCN

Post by valliRCN »

Rasika911, I am not talking about changing of sahitya or adding of sangati. Understanding of sahitya and its presentation . unless you understnd the bhava of the kriti, you can not express your manodharma. Wihtout Manodharma, playing or singing with the support of notations, it is just copying as it is and its a kids play. We should not give notation to kids in the initial stage . we should make them to understnd the sahitya and swaras properly and encourage them to write the swaras on own. To give them confidence, we seniors should show the notation for correction purpose after they finish writting swaras. so that student can understnd their mistakes. This will help music student to understand the sahitya and swara easily. Encouargement and Confidence building is a must and not copying the things.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

valliRCN, That is very much true. I do not see where there is any disagreement with the topic of this thread. You also think that some writing system is needed so the kids can write down the swaras. You need swara symbols, notations for sthayi, thala symbols etc. Along the same lines you need gamaka and kampita symbols. Whether that is used on day 10 or day 100, that is an entirely different matter.

In all this we are also missing the most important point. Forget the actual symbols used for now. What is significant is, msakella has 'reverse engineered' the various gamakams and kampitas that are used in CM ragas and have given us the distilled essence of that. That is no easy task and it is an invaluable resource. After Subbarama Dikshitar's work on the Sangita Sampradaya Pradarsini, here comes msakella with a much more elaborate and comprehensive set. And using modern technologies he has provided material explaining the various applications of them using type-set pdf and audio files in a highly organized form.

Think of it like the periodidc table of elements. Before that is all known, it is true that people knew a lot about matter and molecules and how they worked and interacted with each other in chemical reactions. But once it was known that all these are made up of fundamental elements, and their properties, structure and dynamic behavior were documented clearly, the general understanding and appreciation of what is going on grew by an order of magnitude. This kind of quest and curiosity on 'what is underneath all this' is a common thread among many human advancements.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

msakella wrote:Dear brother-member, Rasika911, Have you really and personally gone through the pdf file ‘Varnas and Svarajati along with symbols-English-109 items’ or conniving with somebody to allege me again. amsharma
No no i just wanted to know. I know the sahithyam is there but it is not sung, am i correct?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, Rasika911, While learning music the different facets of treatment of each and every note is far more important than lyric. That is why I have sung the notes only with all the needed details of Kampitas and Gamakas which are more helpful for the kids. Having worked for long in many of the music-eduational-institutions I am always used to keep the kid’s interests only in view. amsharma

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

A student of music cant sing a varnam in a kutcheri with just the swaram. Furthermore, singing the varnam with the sahithyam will be very valuable akkaram practice because of the long karvais on a..., e..., u.... syllables ect. Singing the sahityam and uploading is a small task with many benefits. Learning a varnam with just swaram is not complete for vocalist and is like knowing just a part of a varnam.
Please forgive me if i have said anything wrong.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Can someone explain the difference between Kampitas and Brigas?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Rasika911: We are discussing the Kampita and Gamakas and their notations. I thought you were not convinced about the need for gamaka and kampita notations and I wrote a fairly long reply to you. You are now changing the topic rather abruptly mid-stream to sahitya of the varna. That can be picked up in another thread if you like.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, girish_a, The treatment of a particular note in relation with its immediate upper or lower adjacent note is called Kampita ( ‘r1 , ;’ of the Raga Todi should be sung as ‘s , r - s , r’) and the treatment of a particular note in relation with its upper 2nd or even upper note is called Gamaka ( ‘g2 , ;’ in the Raga Todi should be sung as ‘m , : g - m , ; g’) as per my categorisation. Briga is a combination of 3 or more notes in a speedy movement as ‘rgmg-rgmg-rgmg-rgmg-srgr-srgr-srgr-srgr-nsrs-nsrs-nsrs-nsrs' - and so on in the Raga Shankarabharana). amsharma
Last edited by msakella on 24 Jun 2009, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

girish_a , you shooted the question at akellaji...

and Bob's your uncle.