mukthayi, korvai (thani)

Tālam & Layam related topics
tvrfan

Post by tvrfan »

May I ask, how the korvai, mukthayi(thani) would be different for a say - mishrachapu talam, as against Adi (2 kalai)

While it is understood that it would be eduppu-to-eduppu in both cases, may I know the difference pls?

Thanks so much.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I don't understand your question. As I read it, the difference is as you have stated yourself, that it is eduppu-to-eduppu, so in misra it will be a multiple of 7 beats, in 2-kallai Adi, it will be a multiple, or fraction, of 16 counts.

But, even if that is your question, that is a "primary school" answer: the mridangist may play thiermanums of different lengths, by adjusting the starting point.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Member tvrfan

As far as the mathematics are concerned there will be difference in Korvais as for Misra Chaapu it is in multiples of 7 and in Adi Tala it is in multiples of 8 per cycle. Hence the difference will be there. Any korvai that is being played in Adi tala can be played for Misra Chaapu tala from a different Starting point in one sense.

For Muktayees (Short ending phrases or short theermanams) only the starting point differs and mostly that which is being played in adi tala will be repeated for other talas.

If it is eduppu-to-eduppu u have to make separate Korvais for Adi Tala and Separate Korvai for Misra Chaapu tala though the Aasu can be maintained for both the talas. We can take an adi tala korvai keeping the poorvaanga constant and make slight mathematical adjustment in utharaanga we can make it square for Misra Chaapu Tala also.

See the following Example :

Adi Tala :
Purvaanga for 27

Thaka dina (thaangu)

Tha . Thaka Dina (Thaangu)

Tha. dhi. thaka dina (thaangu)

Utharaanga for 37

Tha.dhi.kitathom tha... dhi ... (7 + 8)

Tha.dhi.kitathom tha... dhi ... (7 + 8)

Tha.dhi.kitathom (tha) 7

The same korvai with an adjustment in Utharaanga can be played for Misra Chaapu Tala and it is as follows :-

Misra Chaapu Tala

Purvaanga for 27

Thaka dina (thaangu)

Tha . Thaka Dina (Thaangu)

Tha. dhi. thaka dina (thaangu)

Utharaanga = 29

tha. dhim. thadiginathom . (9 + 1)

tha. dhim. thadiginathom . (9 + 1)

tha. dhim. thadiginathom (tha)

making the total to 29 for utharaanga and the grand total to 56 which is divisible by 7 and can be used for eduppu-to-eduppu in Misra Chaapu.

Hope u r clear ?

Mannarkoil J .Balaji
Last edited by mridhangam on 28 Jan 2009, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

tvrfan

Post by tvrfan »

Thanks sir so much - for the painstaking reply - I am truly touched

Vijayakumar

Post by Vijayakumar »

Dear Balaji

All your mathematical explanations are quite clear and make things very interesting scientifically. Thanks for your support. Is there any book or other material that explores the mathematics of mridangam with various scenarios and examples as explained by you. Please suggest some good reads on these areas to me. thanks again

Vijay