antahpura geethe

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
natyasri123

Post by natyasri123 »

can anyone throw light on the anthahpura geethe. i have one, pretty popular - ' en ee mahanandave, o bhamini' how many more are there? i heard there must be 17 or 16. if any of you can share some information, it would be great.

svkashyap

Post by svkashyap »

Antahpura geete are composed by DVG. Each song describes each shila balika in the Belur Sri Chennakeshava temple.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

antahpura gIte is a collection of 60 songs, first published in 1950. Dr. D V Gundappa (popularly recognized as D V G, 1888 - 1975), one of the prominent poets of Karnataka, mesmerized by the beauty of the sculptures and architecture of the temples of Belur, had penned these songs. Though published as a collection only in 1950, some of the songs had been penned as early as 1920s.

The book has been published with metiulous attention to detail. Each song is associated with a specific sculpture. A photograph of the sculpture is included in the book, corresponding to each song.

The book also includes two scholarly essays by DVG - one about the temples of Belur, and another essay titled soundaryOpAsane.

D V G himself has suggested the rAga and tALa for these songs. In the preface, D V G has acknowledged the help and cooperation he received from my Father Veena Raja Rao in validating the suggested rAga and tALa.

In the second edition of the book published in 1966, D V G has added a chapter titeld "request to the singers." In this chapter, D V G has outlined his vision as to how these songs should be rendered.
D V G has suggested that these songs are more suitable for the singer to achieve satisfaction, rather than display advanced skills in swara and laya.

In the preface to the second edition (1966), D V G has also expressed gratification that in the 16 years since they were first published, the songs have been well received by the music faculty as well as the listeners! D V G has noted that these songs, novel in their structure and character, have been accepted and performed by musicians and dancers on radio and stage. (I have paper clippings with me from 1950s documenting that my Father Veena Raja Rao, in an attempt to popularize these songs, had given vocal concerts, exclusively featuring songs from the collection antahpura gIte)

Kavyalaya, a popular publishing house from Mysore has published this book. I recently bought a copy of the book at the book store in Gokhale Institute in N R Colony, Bangalore. You might already know that Gokhale Institue of Public Affairs (GIPA) is a great institution founded by D V G in 1915.

EnI mahAnaMdave, O bhAminI is a very popular song. D V G has suggested aTHANa rAga for this song. I have heard this rendered by well known bhAvagIte singer Ratnamala Prakash (Sri. R K Srikantan's daughter).

M S Subbulakshmi has sung yaduvaMSatilakana vEShavidEnE in bEhAg. D V G has suggestetd yadukula kAmBhoji for this song.

I hope this information helps. If you find any audio of songs (other than the two mentioned above) from this collection, please keep me informed.
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 30 Aug 2009, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

"singer to achieve satisfaction" - I am very happy to read this and I believe in this.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Srini,
Thanks for all the information on DVG's antapura gIte. Your father had a part in it too. Can't wait to get the book when I am in India. Did not know until now that MS's 'yadu vamSa tilakana' was his composition.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sreeni - Thank you for sharing that information. You will be the correct person then to ask why they are called 'antahpura gItE' - antahpura for me invokes images of women's quarters, mInA bazArs etc...
Sreeni Rajarao wrote:M S Subbulakshmi has sung yaduvaMSatilakana vEShavidEnE in bEhAg. D V G has suggestetd yadukula kAmBhoji for this song.
This is available in the CD 'Songs in 10 languages'. Sreeni - I did not know that it was a antahpura gIte - it is lovely (in particular, I love the phrase - 'ASegaLeSTO, nirASEgaLindeSTO, sukha dukha prEmOtsArangaLESTO') , but, I can't imagine it in yk, unfortunately!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
The same lines which I like a lot too! I am sure I will find many such lines once I get the book.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Ravi,
Other than oversimplifying that all the songs are celebrations of sRngAra rasa, I cannot really give a good explanatiton why the collection is called antahpura gIte. From D V G's preface, it appears some of these songs had been published under the title bElUrina shilAbAlikeyaru in a book called nivEdana, published in 1924.

Arasi avare,
I was surprised to see this song included in a CD by sa re ga ma titled "dAsara padagaLu" which includes purandara dAsa songs rendered by MS and MLV. (CDNF 149226 produced by Saregama)

And a small correction to that beautiful line:

AshegaLeShtO nirAshegaLinniShtO
rOsha duhKha premOtsAhamgaLeShto
sAsira suLigALi bIsi nammedeyanu
GhasigoLise cennakEsavanolivane

And a final observation on M S's pronounciation of the not so easy words in this song: impeccable!

All this writing about DVG takes me back to those beautiful years in childhood when my friends and I spent many evenings in the beautiful library and the campus of Gokhale Institute of Public Affairs in
N R Colony. We would be playing right in front of some of the big names of Karnataka's literature and music fields, who had gathered for evening haraTe (chat). I can recall watching and getting mesmerized by the sight of D V G, my Father Veena Raja Rao, Former Chief Justice of Karnataka (and acting Governor) Nittoru Srinivasa Rao, Writers M V Seetaramayya, S Venkatachalapati,
G P RajaRatnam and many others.

Beautiful memories!!

natyasri123

Post by natyasri123 »

my teacher was mentioning she had some 17 songs. she got them recorded. but i have only 'eninee mahanandave' and very beautifully sung. well i will look for the MS song on the net. i would need a list of songs to actually start looking for it. i fell in love with this 'eninee mahanandave' when i heard it for the first time. its so beautiful that when i dance it, its easy for me to forget the world and when the words 'chennakeshava' come, in a recent performance, there were tears in my eyes. such is the beauty of the song and the singer. if you have a list, let me know, then i can ask my teacher. may be i can buy the audio from her.

smala

Post by smala »

yaduvaMSatilakana vEShavidEnE

Can someone provide the caranam to this song ?

A : yaduvamSa tilakana vESavidEne madirAkShi murali nAdavidEne

AP : muraLIgAnavidEne taralApAngavadEne smarasambhramAnanda smaraNe idEne

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

I have it somewhere - will trace the book, and post later in the day.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

c1:

koLanalUdute namma manadi pavvaLisidda
nalavolavellava keraLisi kuNisi
pulakAMkuragaLanAgisi meyya mareyisis
nalivI gAyana mAyeyoLaguTTadEne ||

c2:

ASegaLeShTO nirAsegaLinneShTO
rOSha dOSha prEmOtsAhaMgaLeShTO
SAsira suLigALi bIsi nammedeyanu
ghAsigoLise chennakESavanolivanE||

smala

Post by smala »

Thanks Ramakriya -- could you also do a quick translation ?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Some of his songs are available here:

http://www.kannadaaudio.com/Songs/Bhaav ... rakash.php

bharg.p

Post by bharg.p »

it would help if we could have the word to word meaning of the songs mentioned here...

yaduvamsa tilakana...

Sreeni Rajarao

Re: antahpura geethe

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Recently in this thread
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23159

RSachi wrote "You know, I really wish we could access these devaranamas sung by some native Kannada speaking musician like RKS. It makes a difference to those like me who follow and speak Kannada as a mother tongue. Even a perfectionist like MSS has sometimes slight issues. I am saying this after checking out her wonderful NAnEke baDavanO.

And "yaduvamshatilakana" was actually a poem written by DVG, a great 20th century Gandhian thinker and writer known for his wonderful 'mankutimmana kagga'. He wrote a book of poems called 'anthaHpurageete' inspired by the stone sculpture icons in Belur called SilAbAlikeyaru.
This is one of the Krishna icons - giridhAri- at Belur:..........."

In this regard, I would like to share this newspaper clipping from December 27th 1955.
This is a report of a vocal concert given by Veena Raja Rao on Dec 25th - this concert exclusively featured songs from the collection "antahpuragIte" which were presented with rAga and swara.
I have some more newspaper clippings from the 1950s, documenting similar presentations!

Also, I would like to mention about a CD brought out by DVG's disciples at Gokhale Institute of Public Affairs.
This CD features some commentary in kannaDa and English, and 17 songs from the collection antahpuragIte with music direction from Vidwan Bangalore S Shankar and Vidushi E P Alamelu.
Singers featured in this CD are Sri Shankar, P Shashidhara, Smt Malati Sharma, Smt P S Vasanta.

All the songs in this CD have been performed in the rAga and tALa as suggested by Sri DVG himself!

I can share phone # to contact producers of this CD in Bangalore, if there is any interest.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Please do, and and thanks in advance!
Sri Shankar is a hugely talented musician. Just a few days ago his radio concert was stupendous.

My mother had a book of these verses with B/W photos of the icons.

When MSS's Vishnu Sahasranamam LP was released at Gokhale Instt in Malleswaram, I was lucky to be present at the function as a part of the entourage of Swami Adidevananda of RK Ashrama. Both DVG and MLV spoke that day! That's when I came to know MSS had sung this song Yaduvamsha...
Last edited by Rsachi on 21 Mar 2014, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

For those interested:

DV Gundappa Wikipedia page: D.V. Gundappa
Kavyalaya Publications: Homepage

RSR

Post by RSR »

1) Raguvamsa ... song in Behag was included in the 11languages LP record somtime around 1968. .. Kindly provide the meaning of the lyrics. 2) I need the lyrics in devanagari script ..for Nanake Badavanu of Purandhara dasa with meaning either in English or in Thamizh.

ashwati

Post by ashwati »

Can someone please help me with the meaning of the antahpura geethe - Yaduvamsa thilakana.

I have heard that there are names for the sculptures, based on which DVG penned these beautiful songs. Yaduvamsa is based on which sculpture? What is the name?

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28236&p=308031&hilit

You can check this link for the meaning.