R.K. Shriramkumar

Carnatic Musicians
bilahari

Post by bilahari »

My favourite contemporary violinist and accompanist. His even bowing, fluid fingering, highly sensitive accompaniment with appropriate use of mandra sthayi and tara sthayi complementation, his knowledge of all the different sangathis of various schools, his concise raga alapanais capturing the essence of the ragas beautifully, his playing filled with tranquility with ample use of pauses, and even his calm and humble demeanor on stage, all impress me tremendously. I still have vivid memories of his accompaniment to TM Krishna at Parthasarathy Swami Sabha in 2007 (that mAnji!) and to Parassala Ponnammal in San Diego this year. From the reviews on this forum, it appears he's a more than competent vocalist as well.

Courtesy of srikant1987, here are a couple of links:

A brief biography:
http://www.indiamusicinfo.com/profiles/ ... kumar.html

About his grandfather, R.K. Venkatarama Shastry:
http://www.thehindu.com/fr/2007/11/16/s ... 300400.htm

Also, a violin duet of RKSK and S Varadarajan (another favourite of mine!), accompanied by K Arunprakash:
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/sl/R_K_S ... _CHENNAI_/
Last edited by bilahari on 15 Sep 2009, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

I like him, he is a walking encyclopedia. Sings well too, look forward to hear his violin solo and vocal concerts more often.

He accompanies almost all leading artist quite well. Very calm personality.

-hari

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

What stuns me about RKSK is the accompaniment he gives to the songs themselves, as against the manodharma replies - like bilahari says, the different sangatis of various schools. He seems to either know the main artist's version of the song itself, or follow with such rapt attention that he predicts it right. And the violinist's accompaniment to songs is the least noticed of all the things they do: which gives a mind-blowing picture of how sincere an accompanist he is.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

R K Shriram is indeed one of the best accompanist in the top league. I have seen in atleast one occassion where since RKSK was a accompanist very manodharmic tana and pallavi ragamaligas were handled by the vocalist. I think always he gives an extreme comfort to the vocalist.

Having said I just feel the nAdham of RKSK till say 2006 or so is different of RKSK of the last few years. Perhaps his vidwath is always on the ascent, at times the nAdham of present RKSK is not very sweet during returns(lot of his prior 2005 days his nAdham was say comparable to V V S), at times it is little too rough and not very soaked in melody .
Last edited by rajeshnat on 16 Sep 2009, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Too rough? That's extremely surprising, because sometimes I feel -- he's playing so superbly, why doesn't he just bow with a little more force so that I can enjoy the full effect?! :) But I don't know RKSK pre-2005, so I can't understand what you mean. I don't know a lot of things pre-2005. :|

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

delete
Last edited by Tulip on 18 Sep 2009, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I beg to differ - having known Shriram for a long time (as an individual, not necessarily as a performing artist), I think that what you say is not correct. From my observations I can say that he is a very nice person who is not into pettiness.

Being born in a family of seasoned artists doesn't guarantee success in the music world - please do not be dismissive of the hard work and perseverance that each and everyone of the artists have put in to reach where they are.

In addition to his remarkable skills on the violin, he is proving that he is a great tune-smith as well - his friends, Sri Vijay Siva and Sri TMK have sung delectable compositions tuned by him. He has also worked closely with Sri TMK on the SSP project.

PS: I should have checked the provenance of the poster before posting. Had I done that, I would not have bothered dignifying the rant with a response...7 of this poster's previous posts have been deleted (by the mods?) probably because they were in bad taste, and this one is likely to suffer the same fate.
Last edited by rshankar on 18 Sep 2009, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Yes - MODS please delete the Tulip post

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I believe we've had problems with this Tulip earlier also. In fact, Tulip's profile shows that Tulip's made seven posts before this, and all seven now have only the word "deleted". Can this Tulip be banned from the forum?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

There is a passing mention that karthik fine arts has awarded 'Isai PerOli' title to RK Shriramkumar for this year season . Sorry cant find the url in the hindu website. Congrats RKSK , let there be more laurels and best wishes to you.

mmani

Post by mmani »

mmani

Post by mmani »

I also want to add that RK Shriramkumar is on a maiden solo violin tour of the US now (accompanied by Arun Prakash on mridangam and Guruprasad on Ghatam) - Oct 3 through Nov 15th.

We are given to understand the tour got off to a flying start in Phoenix on Oct 3.

Hope to see more on his tour under Kutcheris and Recordings.

-mani

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Delighted to hear about his USA tour.

It is not many years since he modestly told me, in response to my enquiry, that he did not expect to playing solo in the near future! Unfortunately, so far, I haven't managed to see the solo concerts that he has given.

Wishing him all success :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Avery fine arrtist, an able accompanist(more than able) and a very good 'tune-smith(borrowing the word).
Very happy to hear about his being conferred the isaipEroLi title. Happy to know about his maiden solo tour of the USA in the company of ArUN Prakash and Guru Prasad.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

I am very glad to read about the award and USA tour. Let this be a beginning. he is such a treasure. I would like to see him giving vocal concerts also.

-hari

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

I had the fortune of learning from his thAthA, Shri. RK Venkatrama Shastri and from Shriramkumar as well. He and I went to the same school (Padma Seshadri - Lake Area, Chennai). He was 4 years my senior.

Very dedicated and hard-working person. I remember he taught me Viriboni for an entire month (I used to learn every day back then). He wouldn't let me rest until I was able to play in all 3 kAlams fluently (my arms were ready to fall off from their sockets :-)

He studied vocal music under Shri DKJ. He would implore me to come with him to Kotturpuram and learn vocal as well but being in 11th/12th, it was tough. He learned a whole lot of Dikshitar krithis from Shri DKJ. He memorized the entire Kamalamba Navavarnam and Nilotpalamba Vibhakti kritis in a very short amount of time.

His buddies and he started the YACM (Youth Association for Classical Music - http://yacm.in/aboutus.html). I remember Vijay Siva, Manoj Siva, Unni, Sanjay et al used to come to his house in T.Nagar and plan the inaugural day (1985). It used to be a riot!

He was also singularly responsible for getting his 3 sisters married and settled in life.

Very knowledgeable vidwan and a gem of a person.

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

Can we please change the title of this discussion to R.K. Shriramkumar (with a 'h') since that's how he spells his name?

( mod note: Done. Thanks for the correction )

mysoremurthy

Post by mysoremurthy »

I just attended a superb concert by R.K.Shriramkumar in Birmingham, Alabama. It had been a while since we have had a violin concert of such high caliber in our town. Also was very much impressed with his humble demeanor. I hope he will continue to give solo concerts!! Beautiful rendition of Chakkani Raja and Birana Varalichi. We also heard him sing Krishna Nee Begaane Baro.

bilahari

Re: R.K. Shriramkumar

Post by bilahari »

Srikant pointed to me to this nice article by Samanth about RKSK:
http://www.livemint.com/2010/07/3021230 ... n.html?h=B

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I had found it posted on facebook by one of his disciples. :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I am 'copy-pasting' an old post of mine here, which, I think, will interest RKSRKs rasikas. More details on the original thread -
'Mark Your Calendars for a Unique festival' under 'Music and Festivals'.

"Exactly 2 months from today Chennai will witness an unusual concert, to be launched for the first time in the world. If you are interested in Carnatic Music you would not want to miss it. If you know that it is by Vijaya Siva on a theme called "Geetha Vedantham" you would want to be there, no matter what. Good news: there is a live webcast too.
"Geetha Vedantham" is a concert of compositions based on Vedanthic truths/principles etc. The entire concert is dedicated only to that concept. Vijaya Siva + R K Shriramkumar + Manoj Siva are presenting this. The team is currently working on selecting compositions for a full 3 hour concert to be held on August 12, 2012 at Sivagami Petachi Auditorium. It is hosted by Ramanathan Think Foundation. Big Promise - No speeches, only concert."

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Innovative and humility personified--is Shri Sri Ram kumar...

Shri RK Srikumar shares his experiances with Smt MS Subhulakshmi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQC9KECBjk

cienu

Post by cienu »

A wonderful website for Vidwan R.K.Shriramkumar
http://rkshriramkumar.org/

rshankar

Re: Interview with Sri R K Sriramkumar

Post by rshankar »

Sri Sriram is Bengaluru-based? I thought he was Chennai-based.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

He is based in Chennai.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I thought that they did not bring out his seniority. I also wondered why they photographed him sitting on a cupboard!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
You mean to say, a seasoned and very much in demand artiste like him cannot be shelved like that!

Just as feature writers are looking for new angles, the photographer tried for something new here, I suppose...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Let this lovely link of RKSK writeup by TMK stay in this thread. Happy 50th birthday
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 162787.ece

I hope some one writes about his present solo violin tour that he is having right now in US.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

When so many people would be happy and competent to write about a current-day senior artiste, it speaks volumes about him.
When a misoriented, self-publicist writes it, it has to be a botched job. Like this one.
I wish someone writes about what RKSK stands for:
1. A musical tradition tracing back to Rudrapatnam
2. A schooling under the ever-greats
3. A career accompanying stalwarts like SSI, MSS, KVN, RV, and going on to play significant innings with famous stars of today like Vijay Siva and Sanjay and then mentoring great talents like AM and RKM.
4. Mentioning at least a few examples of his tunesmith compositions with lyrics from Dasas and Gurus as well as own lyrics.
5. His lecdems
6. His sense of balance and sheer "respect" for people and tradition and this art form.

It is highly ironical that the Hindu found "this guy" to write about RKSK. Understandable that it turns out be all about how they argue between themselves and are still good chums. Didn't someone say recently that people jump at celebrating MSS just so they can "tell their own stories"!?
Last edited by Rsachi on 30 Sep 2016, 13:12, edited 2 times in total.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Great job, RSachi.
The flamboyant succeed because people have short memory. The same person wrote a decade ago how every one praises MS for her modesty and charity, but how her music is sublime. The story is different now. I may not live to see that day, but his view on RKSK, whatever it is as I have decided not to read what he writes since I have a fragile heart, will change 180 degrees. After all, RKSK is too much into devotion.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

RKSK, according to me, is a great musician and a special person. I think that many of us who see him play and speak to him, even exchanging those few after-concert words are very much aware of that.

Should I mind that his vidwat and personal quality gets some column inches? Of course not, and no, I don't mind. I'm glad to see it there.

I'm glad that TMK has written this about RKSK. I do not want to throw away the baby with the bath water. But the answer to rsachi's points is... because this article is really one in a series called Thoughts of TMK. And that I'm not so glad about, because, if I want to read somebody's "Thoughts" then I want them to be a skilled, competent, inspiring writer. But, OK, let me admit that this is nice, albeit not particular well written, thoughts about a friend.

Anyway, if it were not for the concert information, I would be done with all these years of daily reading The Hindu. It is not a newspaper any longer, and certainly not an English-Language newspaper, it is fashion magazine written in junk gibberish and nobody bothers to even proof-read the headlines any longer, let alone the articles.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I just read the October 2016 issue of Sruti magazine in Magzter.

The cover story is on R K Shriramkumar!
Many articles, by Vijay Siva, Manoj Siva, J Vaidyanathan, ....
They say more articles will be featured in Nov. 2016 too.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Great! He's getting famous at last. Long overdue! Of course, his great modesty doesn't exactly encourage fame.

Glad to know also that he is currently doing a solo tour in USA.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

RKSK,

Great Vidwan and humble.He accompanies many upcoming artists like Amrita Murali,Sumitra Vasudev who are not crowd pullers,but in a league of their own.RKSK 's lecture cum demonstrations are also very educative.Hope Carnatic Music Community recognises him more and more.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

A nice piece by Vijay Siva. "If only RKS were made the Indian ambassador to Pakistan and China, India would become a country with the most friendly Neighbours."

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you, kvchellappa, that was a delight to read.
The seniors were very fond of us young musicians. You won’t believe that in a December season concert vidushi Vedavalli composed a pallavi on the spot at Raga Sudha Hall weaving in the names of the accompanying artists that evening: “Arunprakasa Sreeramajaya Gurupriya” in Keeravani; Arunprakash, Guruprasad and I were touched and honoured at this gesture of warmth. Such has been the affectionate support from such great musicians that I have been blessed with.
I believe it: I was there :). It was only a few years ago. I do believe that RKSK continues to think of himself as a young musician. Perhaps this contributes to his energy and creativity. I am sure it contributes to his modesty: surely he is, now, very much a senior musician himself, but I somehow doubt that he would ever have applied those words to himself. Perhaps he will, to himself, still be a young musician when his turn to be an octaganerian comes around, and I'm sure it will be still be working well for him, as it is now.

One thinks, or at least I do, that it must be very rare for a musician here to be parted from their violin by theft etc, Interesting that RKSK recounts that it has happened to him twice, and talks about the impact.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

RKSK wrote this writeup ,from The Hindu Dated May 14th,2021
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 552333.ece

mohan

Post by mohan »

rajeshnat wrote: 14 May 2021, 14:25 RKSK wrote this writeup ,from The Hindu Dated May 14th,2021
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 552333.ece
That's a very comprehensive summary of Rama krithis!
Surprised he didn't include Dikshitar's Sri Ramachandro in Sri Ranjani!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Also Ramachandraya Namaste in Thodi and Kshitijaramanam not included

RSR

Post by RSR »

p-40
-----
rajeshnat
Thank you for giving link to the wonderful article....He captures the very essence of Carnatic music so closely entwined with the Bhakthi movement.
The editor should change the title as ' Rama as inspiration not only for Thyagaraja but to many other composers as well'.
--
'Vadavaraiyai' classic is not about Rama alone but about Krushna and Vishnu as well.
Though Thyagaraja kruthis are mostly about Rama, there are kruthis about Siva, Parvathi, Ganesa and even of Subramanya. And about Naarada, Hanuman as well.
When attempts are being made to dissociate Religious Devotion and Carnatic music, this is a timely and educative article from a leading musician.
Who set the music for 'Enakkun irupatham Ninaikka' raagamaalika"?

RSR

Post by RSR »

p-38
Sruti article by the artiste himself.
Great and moving piece.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Wow front page Friday Review writeup of a lovely scholarly vidwan , dated Oct 07,2022

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 976090.ece

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Please see the full version on Lakshmi's site. Complete with more pics and videos, and without bad editing.

https://lakshmianand.com/music/musician ... iramkumar/