Tyagaraja's new song?

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Rajkumar Bharati has sung this kuntalavarALi song here:

http://sangeethamshare.org/manjunath/Ca ... LUru-1988/

Is this a newly unearthed song? Would someone post the lyrics please? Thanks.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

Lakshmanji,
The song is chentanE sadA in kuntalavarali.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks knrh05.

Vimala Bulusu

Post by Vimala Bulusu »

The lyric:

pallavi
ceMtanE sadA yuMcukOvayyA ||chem.||

anupallavi
maMtukekku SrImaMtudaina hanu
maMtu rIti SrIkAMta nI ||chem.||

caraNamulu
talacina panulanu nE telisi
talatO naDaci saMtasilludurA
palumAru balka panilEdu rAma
bharatuni vale tyAgarAjanuta ||chem.||

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I have an old tape of Shri Maharajapuram Santhanam singing this song.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Here is a rendition by Therazhundur-Srinivasachari

http://sangeethamshare.org/sunil/thyaga ... achari.mp3

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I read about this book of Thyagaraja kritis in The Hindu today.
Date:25/09/2009 URL: http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/fr/200 ... 250600.htm
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 25 Sep 2009, 04:50, edited 1 time in total.

S.Govindaswamy

Post by S.Govindaswamy »

Dear Sirs
I was watching nAdanIrAjanam programme of TTD/SrI venkatEswarA bhakti channel this evening. An announcement was made that tyAgarAjA has composed 24000 songs. As far as I know only about 670 songs are available in the various books, including the six volumes published by them, which I am having. I wonder about the authenticity of the above announcement. VenkataramaNa bhAgavatar was the first disciple and biographer of tyAgarAja. Is this information avialable in this biography. If the above information is correct are a number of kritis of tyAgarAjA lying scattered, or lost due to igniorace/neglect of the persons holding these. Various musicians have published these kritis. I presume that they must have made throuh searching. About 200 year is too short a period in which 20000 kritis have been lost. I understand that Sourashtra sabha at Madurai is preserving the original manuscripts written in Telugu by VenkataramaNa bhAgavatar.
Govindaswamy

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 27 Dec 2009, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sadguru thyagarAja- A true knowledge management guru with his disciples.

S.Govindaswamy

Post by S.Govindaswamy »

Dear Srinivsa Raghavan
Although P.Sambamoorthy is a learned musicologist, I find it difficult to accept the statement that Thyagaraja had 120 pairs of disciples and each pair was taught 200 kritis. The arithmatic , 200x 120=24000 is too simplistic. We only know about five or six families who claim to be of sishyaparamparA of ThyagarajA, If ThyagarAjA had 120 pairs of ssishyAs, why don’t we hear about any of them. Has not any of them preserved the songs in writing. Alternatively did they not know to read and write in Telugu with the result that these songs which were sung by Thyagaraja were only heard by them (SMRti) but lost subsequently. There are so many myths about Thyagaraja, related to the songs, teratIyagarAdA, munduvenaka, nidicAla sukamA, created by people who, without undersatnding the meanings have allowed their imagination to run wild. In an earlier thread about vAlAjApEt venkataraMana bhAgavatar, it was found that in his biography of Thyagaraja he has not written aout any of the myths in circulation. We Indians are highly imaginative, as can be seen in the stalapurANAs, which have five or six storylines.One of the commonly occurring one is about a cow shedding its milk at one spot and finding a vigraham underground. Is the number of 24000 created by someone, incomparison to the large number of kritis written by annamAchAryA, which are available.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 27 Dec 2009, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I have read about the pairing of disciples by Thyagaraja but I did not know about the specific numbers. Is Prof Sambamurthy the only known source for this info? Or there are corroborating accounts from other sources. I have a suspicion that everyone just quotes Prof. Sambamurthy.

It is not beyond someone's abilities and capabilities to compose 20000+ songs over a 50+ year composing career. He could have composed a lot of small songs at 400 a year on the average, a lot more in some years and less in other years Also, over such a long period of time, he would have had a lot of disciples too, beyond the two or three major branches that are often mentioned. So there is probably major missing pieces in the shishyaparampara knowledge we currently have. Though 24000 sound like a lot, 700+ compositions feel too small a number for a composer whose main passion and devotion in life was to compose songs about his beloved Rama.

The important thing is to see if there are multiple independent sources for the data Prof. Sambamurthy had used. At least more than one.

It is quite sad to reflect upon such abysmal information keeping for events that are only 200+ years old.

cacm

Post by cacm »

The various Disciple schools of Thyagabrahmam claim theirs is the most authentic & we are notoriously poor in documentation as Indians (relying in oral traditions) seem to have very little sense of history & documentation......Also this business of how many songs one can compose is a BOGEY MAN argument similar to what S.B. campaigned about Swati Tirunal's compositions; SEM probably was right when he said- like MMI- if we can sing them RIGHT we have done something great & all the distractions of ownership are mostly irrelevent. Prof. Sambamurthy wrote a stastical analysis type of conclusions but he DID do enormous research unlike the various schools of Disciples who just assert theirs is the right one.....VKV