Sarangan Marugane-Ragamalika- Lyrics needed

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Please post the lyrics and the meaning of this beautiful song. The song is sung by Sri. M. Santhanam and the audio link is;

http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=59652

or at

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=59652&mode=100&rand=

The lyrics given under need correction, if any. The line 2 of the anupallavi seems to be incomplete in meaning/sentence or may be incorrect also.

The lyrics of the song is given as written by Sri. Santhanam, but this information seems to be incorrect, as the lyrics are that of Sri. Jafna Veeramani Iyer. Please clarify.

Ragamalika: Talam: Adi

Pallavi:
sArangan maruganE sAvEri bAlakanE
mohana kumAranE nAyaki nAyakanE

A.pallavi:
sAramati maindanE sAma gAnalolanE
AvalAi virainTodi vandenE nIvasantA

Charanam:
arulAla bilahari kharahara priyanE
tirumurukaapiraman tozhum bhairavi sutanE
perumai tanda nattai uDaiya bhoopAlarE
varuvAi kAdal Ahiri kondEnE ShrI murugA

Thanks
Rashekrishna
Hariharan

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Some corrections :
AvalAi virainTodi vandEnE nin vasan(m) tAn

perumai tanda nATTai uDaiya bhoopAlanE
varuvAi kAdalAhiri kondEnE ShrI murugA

*bhoopAlarE will not fit it as Muruga is referred in the singular everywhere else.

*kAdal + lAhiri = kAdalAhiri

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The song was by Veeramani of YazhpaaNam and was popularized by Santhaanam. This as well as the sparkling Ragamalika 'Nalinakanthimathi' were composed by veeramani and popularized by Santhaanam.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Thanks Rajani and cmlover for the quick response, correction and guidance.

Is it so, that Jafna Sri. Veeramani and Veeramani of YazhpaaNam, are one and the same?

Radhe Krishna
Hariharan

arasi

Post by arasi »

yAzhppAnam in tamizh. Jaffna is the anglecized word.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hariharan, since the others have not given the meaning as you requested in your first post, here is my attempt:

pallavi
sArangan maruganE sAvEri pAlakanE

Oh nephew (maruganE) of the wielder of the bow SArngam (sArangan) [1], protector (pAlakanE) of sAvEri [2], a very attractive (mOhana) young boy (kumAranE), the Lord (nAyakanE) of (vaLLi)nAyaki!

anupallavi
AvalAi viraint(d)oDi vandenE nin vasa(m)tAn

Oh son (maindanE) of pAravti (sAramati), one who delights (lOlanE) in the recitation/chanting (gAna) of sAma vEda! It is only (tAn) to be under your (nin) control (vasam) I have come (vandEnE) running (ODi) in haste (viraind(t)u) with great expectations/anticipation (AvalAi).

caraNam
aruLAla bilahari kharahara priyanE
tirumurugA piraman tozhum bhairavi sutanE
perumai tanda naTTai uDaiya bhUpAlarE
varuvAi kAdal(l)Ahiri koNDEnE SrI murugA

Oh gracious (aruLAla) [3] one who loves (priyanE) the destroyer (hara) of the demon khara [4], oh divine (tiru) murugA, the son (sutanE) of pArvati (bhairavi) who is worshipped (tozhum) by the creator, brahmA (piraman) himself! Oh king (bhUpAlarE) who is famous (perumai tanda) for being upright/stand-up (nATTai uDaiya)! Please come (varuvAi) to me! Oh murugA, I am overcome (koNDEnE) by waves (lAhhiri) of desire/love (kAdal) for you.

FOOTNOTES
[1] As explained elsewhere, vishNu’s bow is the SArngam - so he should be SArngapANi, SARngan, etc, and sArangan is an incorrect corruption. Truth be told, sArangan/sArangapANi is Siva - sAranga is a deer, and Siva is the one who holds a deer in one of his hands (mAn mazhuvEndiya"¦)
[2] sAvEri raga is supposed to be very dear to sAma vEda chanters, is that true?
[3] I have no clue how to fit in ‘bilahari’ in this scheme here! Rajani/Arasi/Punarvasu can help
[4] kharahara should be rAma/vishNu

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Excellent translation Shankar! Quite informative.
As you have atated shAr^NgaM is the name of the bow of Vishnu. Hence he is called shAr^NgapANi (one who has the shAr^Nga in his hand) which in tamil becomes shArangapANi (presding deity in KumbhakONam). Also one can derive the name 'shAr^Ngam bibh^ritE iti shAr^ngin' (since he holds shA^Ngam in his hand he is called shAr^Ngin (ini pratyayam) which becomes shArangan in Tamil). Also recollect from vishnu sahasranama the famous verse
vanamAli gadI shAr^NgI...
The spottted dear held by Siva is actually sAra^Nga which will not fit here.

Traditionally Kharaharapriya is associated with sama veda and not sAvEri.

There is an idol of vishnu at kanchipuram in a burrow (bilaM) and he is worshipped as bilahari. Hence 'bilahari aruLAla' would mean one who is blessed by vishnu...

perumai tanda naTTai uDaiya bhUpAlarE
may refer to Muruga as the King apparent of Tamil nADu since Siva owns the southern country... refer the traditional chant
'thennADuDaiya SivanE pORRi..'

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I thought it was 'aruLALa bilahari (bilahari aruLALa)- and the 'bila' may refer to ahObilam-the srI vaishNava kshEtram- of course the meaning as explained by CML.
An informative translation and explanation by rshankar and CML.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

rshankar, an excellent explanation of meaning of this song and thanks for your good efforts.

a doubt, is it sAvEri pAlakanE or sAvEri bAlakanE ? which one fits appropriate here ? sAvEri bAlakane means son of sAvEri (pArvathi) ? sAvEri pAlakanE means the protector of sAvEri. Here what does the word "sAvEri" mean? is it refers to the universe? please clarify. Thanks again for your all guidance s.

Hariharan
Last edited by hariharan on 02 Nov 2009, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cmlover wrote:The song was by Veeramani of YazhpaaNam and was popularized by Santhaanam. This as well as the sparkling Ragamalika 'Nalinakanthimathi' were composed by veeramani and popularized by Santhaanam.
SArangan Marugane is by yAzhpAnam veeeramani iyer. But I am pretty sure nalinakAnthi mathim is by madurai krishaswami .

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rajeshnat: You are right about nalinakAntimatim. It is by Madurai V.Krishnaswami.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hariharan, as far as I can tell, sAvEri does not refer to either pArvati, or the world, but merely the rAga. That is why I think it is 'sAvEri pAlakanE' - Now, why single out sAvEri? I believe that it is because the rAga sAvEri is considered very dear to sAma vEda chanting. Not sure why.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

rajesh
I was told by one from yAzhpaNam who had Santhanam stay with him while he was in Ceylon (not sri lanka at that time!)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cmlover wrote:rajesh
I was told by one from yAzhpaNam who had Santhanam stay with him while he was in Ceylon (not sri lanka at that time!)
CML
Possibly your ceylon friend told you about another , rather most popular number of yazhpAnam veeramani 'karpagavaLLi niNN', a four rAga suite popularly rendered by TM Soundararajan

Lji
I think he is madurai T krishnaswami instead of V Krishnaswami, I just referred karnatik.com site.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 03 Nov 2009, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks.

narayara000

Re: Sarangan Marugane-Ragamalika- Lyrics needed

Post by narayara000 »

In this krithi, the "bhUpAlam" section is sung in rEvagupti.

HarishankarK

Re: Sarangan Marugane-Ragamalika- Lyrics needed

Post by HarishankarK »

sArangan maruganE sAvEri bAlakanE

A.pallavi:
AvalAi virainTodi vandenE nIvasantA

Charanam:
arulAla bilahari kharahara priyanE
tirumurukaapiraman tozhum bhairavi sutanE
perumai tanda nattai uDaiya bhoopAlarE