Compositions that reflect contemporary themes.

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Good work CML.
May be it is the language -Sanskrit.
To a large extent, I think, Yes. SR's songs sound like MD songs to me. Just speaking for myself, I am conditioned to strongly associate Sanskrit with Manthra, Poojas and things related to religious matters. This is more so since I do not understand Sanskrit so all of this get put in the same 'mental bucket'..

I just read in wikipedia that "...Sanskrit is claimed to be spoken natively by the population in Mattur, a village in central Karnataka. Inhabitants of all castes learn Sanskrit starting in childhood and converse in the language. Even the local Muslims speak and converse in Sanskrit..."

It will sound to us the most bhakthi oriented village in the whole world.. If Mattur tourism board ( ;) ) wants some ideas, I am brimming with those. We can put Mattur on the Hindu pilgrimage map ;) :cheesy:

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

I need a crash course in spoken Sanskrit!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I just read in wikipedia that "...Sanskrit is claimed to be spoken natively by the population in Mattur, a village in central Karnataka. Inhabitants of all castes learn Sanskrit starting in childhood and converse in the language. Even the local Muslims speak and converse in Sanskrit..."

It will sound to us the most bhakthi oriented village in the whole world.. If Mattur tourism board ( ;) ) wants some ideas, I am brimming with those. We can put Mattur on the Hindu pilgrimage map ;) :cheesy:
haha VK :cheesy:
mattUru in Shimoga Dist, Karnataka is a sankEti village. It is not on any tourist map/circuit although it is very scenic as most villages are in the malenADu belt of Karnataka. mattUru and hosahaLLi are two sankEti villages on either side of the River TungA. I have been to hosahaLLI when just a boy ages ago. I remember the trip distinctly as I was playing pranks with my cousin and fell into a dung heap(Stored for Gobar gas I guess) and screamed for someone to "save me" :twisted:

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

This is getting to be pretty exciting. Thanks to all the contributors - SR, CML as well as Sriram. Keep it coming! ;)

Suji,

I guess you would have heard of the Samskrita Bharati?

India - http://www.samskrita-bharati.org/newsite/index.php
USA - http://www.samskritabharati.org/

DRS,

Sanketi (language) resembles Tamil quite a bit, no?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks skris for the link. Now I can get in touch with people in my area to learn Sanskrit.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

DRS,

Sanketi (language) resembles Tamil quite a bit, no?
Yes and no(depending on how you look at it). :P Yes in terms of core vocabulary but no interms of grammar. I didnt mean to make this more compllicated. This is the simples I could come up with (although Iam not satisfied myself). I will ahve to write abook to satisfy myself. I hope to do it one day, and when I do, I will pass on the details andyou can buy that book :cheesy:

vasanthakokilam

I took one year of Sanskrit long time back in college and that was almost totally useless from a spoken sanskrit point of view and it was not long enough to learn to understand sanskrit. It did help in bringing some familiarity to Sanskirt, that is all. The focus of that course was on memorizing the shabdams for various noun roots etc....

How about CML, DRS, SR and srkris start a thread in the Language section to teach us spoken sanskrit. They can upload some spoken common sentences every day along with the meaning. Just a thought...

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

How about CML, DRS, SR and srkris start a thread in the Language section to teach us spoken sanskrit. They can upload some spoken common sentences every day along with the meaning. Just a thought...
I was thinking (hoping) the same... :cheesy:

vasanthakokilam

We can break those common sentences to the following groups..

1) Sentences from talking with family members ("What is for dinner" ;) )
2) Talking with friends ( anything goes here )
3) Talking with strangers("It is so hot today" )
4) Talking with work colleagues on work matters("I am just returning your call..you wanted to talk about that project")
5) Talking to oneself ( "Oh, I wish I did that differently" )

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Now I wish to continue our experiments. I believe the magic is in CM and not in the language. We of course have to coddle the language (and the accents) to get the right laya and melody. Even Western music takes liberty with the accents of the language and hence I am not apologizing! Here is a bold attempt..

I wish to pay Tribute to our unforgettable MLV the Queen of CM. I have to thank Meena for sparking this effusion!

Ragam Shanmugapriya ThaaLam Adi

ThokayaRA (viruttaM/sonnet)

Melody was the motivating force
Hence that was the very first letter,
Laya was the captivating source
Hence that became her second letter
Vinyasa was naturally her voice
MLV is thus the name of choice...

Pallavi

Melody Laya Vinyasa MLV
My Lady you are the Queen of these..

Anupallavi

Music is meant for mental peace
Molded by you with poise and grace..

CharaNam

You brought to CM the feminine touch
You got the magic that packs in so much
Ne'er did we realize the beauty and charm
(of) Thyagaraja, Purandara Music so warm

a variety, no satiety, no banality or immorality
witty, gritty, fitting, uplifting (heavenly)

(note italics in durita kaalam..
Also the Pallavi first line is structured for neraval and nice kalpana svaram)
Now here is my pilot attempt at rendering

http://rapidshare.de/files/24315040/Mel ... V.mp3.html

I hope to hear it from you MNS and others too as we start expanding the horizons of CM

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

I guess you would have heard of the Samskrita Bharati?

India - http://www.samskrita-bharati.org/newsite/index.php
USA - http://www.samskritabharati.org/
Anything in the UK?

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear SR and CML, do you have any compositions (preferably Sanskrit) on the Guru? "guru pourNima" is in July and I am looking for a few compositions.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML,
That's a nice experiment.
You are right that it is raga, gamaka, etc which also gets associated with bhakti in CM.
But your earlier one in sanskrit definitely has more bhakti feeling than one in English..just my feeling.

If you composed the same MLV praise in sanskrit....it will be different .

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

I agree with Suji on this.

Dear CML, why shaNmukhapriya? Just curious as to why you chose this rAgA?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Suji/MNS

I have to disagree on the issue of bhakti and sanskrit.It is the conditioning that evokes the bhakti response. We are used to the myriads of songs of MD/Svaati/Naryana theertha/.... on divinity in sanskrit that we automatically get into the veneration mood. Let me tell you a funny story.
A certain kavi went to his paramour and started praising her:
'kuyil pOla kuralazhaki' (you the one with melodious voice like cuckoo)
'mayil pOla ezhilazhaki' (you the one beautiful like the peacock)
'kovvai ithazhazhaki' (you with lovely lips like bimba fruit)
'mada yaanai naDai azhaki' (you who walks elegantly like the intoxicated elephant)
She interupted him angrily and said I am not dark like the cuckoo, raucous like the peacock or fat like the elephant.. and if you want to sing my beauty say something like KaLidaasa. Unfortunately she knew no sanskrit and neither did the poet. He went to his friend 'Tenali Rama' and explained his plight. Tenalirama told him to go and sing to her as
'arka shuShka phala kOmaLastanI'. As the poet said it the Lady became mighty happy complimented him for the mellifluous musical words but asked him what it meant. The poet bought some time and went and asked Tenali Rama who explained that it meant 'you the one with breasts like the shrunken fruit kept under the hot Sun'. Of course I don't have to tell you whether the poet ever dared tell her the true meaning!

I chose ShaNmugapriya for the right mood. Several other ragas would have fitted too, but I have been fascinated by MLV's songs and viruttams in this raga.

I will u/l tomorrow part of the self same verse (hopefully) in Sanskrit and you can tell me whether you feel any bhakti at all ;) But in the meantime do give the 'English one' a try!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Anything in the UK?
The "Bharatiya vidya bhavan" conducts sanskrit classes regularly in London(West Kensington). You could contact Dr.Nandakumara/anyone else there for further details.

This is their website

http://bhavan.co.uk/index.php

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML,
That story made me laugh!
That's exactly my situation.

If you composed making fun of some one in sanskrit or even in Tamil I would be like the lady in your story :cheesy:

Well, I think this thread may change our perception..or will it not?

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

The next composition presented is in honor of Prof. Manmohan Singh (b. 1932), fourteenth Prime Minister of the Indian Union.

manamOhanEna rakshitOham (2006)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sfnszc

mOhanarAgE rUpakatAlEna gIyatE

pallavi

manamOhanEna rakshitOham pradhAna- |
mantriNA SirOveshTadharENa simhEna ||

anupallavi

janamAnasanivAsEna pancApabhaumEna |
jaTilakESEna mahAmarikESamAnitEna ||

caraNam

paramANvAyudhEna dAridryanivAraNEna |
paribhAshAdhISEna sampattiSAstrakOvidEna ||
karadhRtakirapANEna turakapAkaSAsanEna |
guruSaraNanAyakEna sikhaSikhAmaNinA varENa ||

Translation

I am protected by Manmohan, the Prime Minister,
By him who wears a turban/head-dress, who is a lion [1].

By him who resides in the mind of the people,
By him who originates from the land of five rivers [2],
By him who has twisted/braided hair,
By him who is respected by the great American leader [3].

By him who wields nuclear weapons, by him who alleviates poverty,
By him who is a master of debate, by him who is an expert in economics,
By him who holds the kirapANa [4], By him who dominates the Turakas and Pakas [5],
By him who is the beloved of GuruSaraNa [6], By him who is the crown-jewel of the Sikhs, By the excellent one.

Notes

[1] Simha = Lion (or Singh, the common name of all Sikhs).
[2] modern Punjab.
[3] Reference to G. W. Bush.
[4] Reference to the 'kirpan' (the ceremonial dagger of the Sikhs).
[5] Reference to the Turakas (Turks/Arabs/Middle-easterners) and Pakas (Pakistanis).
[6] Reference to Gursharan Kaur, wife of Manmohan Singh.
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 20 Dec 2007, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

The "Bharatiya vidya bhavan" conducts sanskrit classes regularly in London(West Kensington). You could contact Dr.Nandakumara/anyone else there for further details.

This is their website

http://bhavan.co.uk/index.php
Thanks DRS

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

The "Bharatiya vidya bhavan" conducts sanskrit classes regularly in London
I was about to say the same thing, and I have heard the instructors are really good. No first hand information, though.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Incidentally, Dr.Nandakumara is from Mattur.

I should think the standard of teaching must be good.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

I actually happened to meet Sri Nandakumara twice, once at Bhavans and the other time at a music programme on Purandaradasa in Basingstoke, where he was the chief guest but I wasn't aware about the sanskrit classes conducted at Bhavan.

mohan

Post by mohan »

CML,
That's a nice experiment.
You are right that it is raga, gamaka, etc which also gets associated with bhakti in CM.
But your earlier one in sanskrit definitely has more bhakti feeling than one in English..just my feeling.

SujiRam - I agree totally with you. While the meaning in the lyrics are nice, the English words sung to a raga just make the composition sound comical to me.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

SujiRam - I agree totally with you. While the meaning in the lyrics are nice, the English words sung to a raga just make the composition sound comical to me.
Singing CM with English lyrics is not without precedent - MS Subbulakshmi sang a hymn with English lyrics in her UN concert. The present composition by CML reminded me of that.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Well done SR! Nice composition appropriately done. The use of the word 'pAkashAsana' to indicate the contolling of Pakistani is clever. I noticed again a double entendre here:
'turakapAkaSAsanEna' turaka uccaishrava tasya pati pAkashAsana indra tena
(the Lord of the excellent horse who is Indra (the one ruling from Indraprastha)

I thought the Turks were referred to as turuShka in sanskrit!

let me also hope the invocation 'dAridryanivAraNEna' does become a fact for our folks in the sub continent ;)

Now I wait the mOhanamOhitamOhana raagam!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes folks!

If you listen to a lot of compositions in CM in the English Language you will not find it funny! I was used to the 'kripayaa paalaya' of svaati popularized by SSI in caarukEshi when sung by MKT in 'manmatha leelayai'. I had a bitter taste and a strange feeling though the scene in the movie was erotic and appropriate. The song became instantly popular among the masses since they could understand the meaning and relate to it while the 'bhakti geetam' was just a nice raga for them. Many of Sivan's compositions took a long time to get on to the concert stage since vidvaans found it strange to sing in Tamil while they were naturally used to the Trinity compositions. Were it not for the bold attempt by DKP even Bharathy would have been lost to the CM world! Then why decry any attempts in English. Now that is the only pathway to reach CM to our younger generations!

In fact the first use of English I heard was by MLV in the manipravalam rollicking nari kuRaththi song 'ayya saami' in the movie Or Iravu. I remembered her while composing this song. Also 'meena' mentions MLV was also an expert pianist and she would have attempted 'English verses' if they were made available in her time. Did she not do yeomen service to CM by populaizing Purandara?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Singing CM with English lyrics is not without precedent - MS Subbulakshmi sang a hymn with English lyrics in her UN concert. The present composition by CML reminded me of that.
The song that MSS sung in the UN concert was not in CM. It was just like any other English song

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

The song that MSS sung in the UN concert was not in CM. It was just like any other English song

Yes and, the first time I heard it was hard to believe it was her voice!
It is all about singing western music in absolute pitches I guess.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

I noticed again a double entendre here:
'turakapAkaSAsanEna' turaka uccaishrava tasya pati pAkashAsana indra tena
(the Lord of the excellent horse who is Indra (the one ruling from Indraprastha)
That would work, except that horse is usually referred to as "turaga" so it would involve a slight change.
I thought the Turks were referred to as turuShka in sanskrit!
Yes, turushka is the regular form. Even in CM we can recall the statement of Venkatamakhin regarding Kalyani, which he stated to be a low-quality raga that is popular among the "turushkas".

However turaka also exists in the Sanskrit vocabulary (and can be derived without difficulty). It is also used in other Indian languages.
let me also hope the invocation 'dAridryanivAraNEna' does become a fact for our folks in the sub continent ;)
Yes, let us hope so. Manmohan is regarded as the architect of economic reforms resulting in the current 8+% growth rate.
Now I wait the mOhanamOhitamOhana raagam!
Will be uploaded soon.

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Yes and, the first time I heard it was hard to believe it was her voice!
It is all about singing western music in absolute pitches I guess.
Yes but CML's presentation reminded me of that. Although the bhava of shanmukhapriya was underlying, the English lyrics "overwhelm" it and it starts to sound like any other "English" song. Nothing wrong with it, though!

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here we go in Tamil. First the lyrics (partially)

Inimai perukkum madhura isai muthalezhuththu
layaththuDan isai iNaithalaal athu un iDai ezhuththu
vinyaasam cheRintha kuralumE izhaithalaal
MLV enum peyar iNa^NgumE aNa^NginirkkE

madhura laya vinyasa MLV
mana mOhana maharANI mAthE, un peyar thaan....

Again my amateur attempt
http://rapidshare.de/files/24400295/Mad ... V.mp3.html

Now tell me whether you still want a Sanskrit version ;)

The deal is if someone (meena are you there ;) ) executes the following:

La musique etait la force de motivation.
Par consequent qui etait la toute premiere lettre.
Laya etait la source captivante
Par consequent qui est devenu sa deuxieme lettre
Vinyasa etait naturellement sa voix
MLV est ainsi le nom du choix

vinyasa MLV de laya de melodie ma dame !
vous etes la reine de ces derniers

;) ;) ;)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML,
I was just going to write-how about in Italian/spanish since they have vowel ending words like in Telugu. It might be a better option than English.
But French... I don't know

just downloading...will let you know.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

MNS

any problem using SSI's
http://rapidshare.de/files/23954589/2._ ... a.mp3.html
for the Guru pourNima!

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

MNS

any problem using SSI's
http://rapidshare.de/files/23954589/2._ ... a.mp3.html
for the Guru pourNima!
Not at all. "gurulEka" seems to be the only popular krithi one hears. I am just taking Guru pourNima as an opportunity to learn some new compositions on the Guru. Didn't find many come up on a different thread when we were listing krithis on the Guru. There was also this beautuful bhajan rendered by Sumati (guru bina). I am awaiting Mysore vAsudEvAcharya's
Guru kripa lEka from Sri DRS. Also, with all the vAggEykArAs in this forum thought I might as well ask. DRS seems to have one to his credit. Waiting to hear that one.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

CML/MNS, how about "nArada gurusvAmi" in the majestic Durbar raga?

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks srkris. I haven't heard this krithi before. Found the lyrics at

http://www.geocities.com/promiserani2/c2588.html

Is there a version available on the net or one that can be posted?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

msn,
here's the link to the song by Santhanam
http://surasa.net/music/tyagaraja-archive/index2.php

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks Suji

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

[quote=""mnsriram""]
Also, with all the vAggEykArAs in this forum thought I might as well ask. DRS seems to have one to his credit. Waiting to hear that one.
[/quote]

I have presented two compositions on "gurus", but they are specific to my "gurus" and I would prefer to not alter the sahitya to make them more general. Others may have what you are looking for.

Best Wishes,
SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

A recording of the krti "manamohanena" has been upploaded (see relevant post on page 3).

SR

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

This kRti is specifically on RShi "nArada" and not a general kRti on gurus.

A link to a rendering by Vid||R.K.Srikantan

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/m4O ... As1NMvHdW/

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks DRS

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

A recording of the krti "manamohanena" has been upploaded (see relevant post on page 3).

SR
SR, very well presented.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Well done SR! Now keep it up with other fine compositions...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear MNS

I am sure you have found the song you are looking for. DRS could have composed in one of those rare Asampoorna Mela of MD. But he is currently verry busy engaged in taking care of the earth (PruthvI). I have whipped up a lyric which if you like you can try! The ideas are deep philosophical. Again I have chosen the raga not handled by the Trinity.
Here it is..

shrI gurubhyO namaH||

Raga Bagesri Mela :(22) Kharaharapriya
aro SGMDNS' avaro S'NDMGMPGRS

brahmAnandam parama sukhadam kEvalam g~nAnamUrtim
dvandvAtItam gagana sad^Risham tatvamasyAti lakShyam|
Ekam nityam vimalamacalam sarva dhI sAkShibhUtam
bhAvAtItam triguNa rahitam satgurum tam namAmi||

pallavi

bhajarE gurucaraNam anisham
bhava sAgara taraNam mAnasa

Anupallavi

asatO sat gamayati nityam
tamasO jyOtir yaccati satyam
m^RityOr am^Ritam dAsyati niyatam
smara smara EtAn vAram vAram

caraNam

nAsti gurorvina tatvam param
nAsti pUjA param gurvArAdhanam
nAsti tIrtham param pAdOdakam
gururEva jagatI shivam pratyakSham

Here is my rendering (obviously like my Guru (my age too)I can't reach the high octave ;)
http://rapidshare.de/files/24482224/Bha ... i.mp3.html

I will post the meaning separately later....

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Very nice CML!
It does have a "light music" feel...with HM tilt
You did well at higher octave..
now waiting for the meaning.

BTW, I did not find any difference in the English and Tamil pallavi on MLV :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The shlokam is from the 'gurugIta' of the skanda purANam. The generic meaning is

'I prostrate to the sat guru who is in the form of brahmaananda, who gives ultimate bliss, who is the form of knowledge, who is beyond duality, like the firmament, the goal of the mahavakyas 'tat tvam asi' etc, unique, eternal, pure, immobile, witness of the collective intellect, one beyond the reach of mental concepts and free of the three guNas.'

The sanskrit of the lyric is very simple indeed and I have resolved the sandhis for ease of singing. I have imbedded the three esoteric invocations from the brihadAraNya upaniShad which can be discussed at the Language thread if there is any interest so that we do not interrupt the music discussions here.

Pallavi

Oh Man! Worship the feet of Guru (divine preceptor) constantly. He is the means of crossing over the ocean of birth (samsara).

Anupllavi

He always leads (you) from untruth to Truth
He truly fetches Light (dawn of gn~aana) into Darkness (avidyA/ignorance)
He most certainly will get you Immortality from Death
Meditate on these facts again and again.

CharaNam

There is no 'Truth' beyond Guru (Truth = brahmam, he is the embodiment of brahmam)
There is no worship beyond the worship of Guru
There is no holy water other than the water washed off his feet
Guru indeed is the 'concrete' shiva (supreme God) on this universe.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

suji

I expected you to say that. CM is independent of the language. But as we internalize it we look at the meaning and then create the 'mood' that goes with it. BMK has rendered Thyagaraja kritis in Tamil, but nobody ever sings them though the music is exactly the same. My point is that we need original compositions in other languages (english, italian, japanese..etc.,) set to ragas that are innovative but still within the grammar of CM. It is indeed a challenge but worth an 'experiment'. Somehow I find the fusion music (though Ravikiran is sparkling) to be moving away from CM!

Bagesri is the same in CM and HM. It is a raga better handled by the HM folks. It deserves more attention in CM other than short snippets in ragamalikas

vasanthakokilam

Nice, CML. Bhakthi soaked..

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML,
What you say gives me some hope of composing :)
The only language I have written poems is in English. I have been thinking of one in Bowli..but I don't have enough skills to compose. If you are interested I can send it to you.