Format in a Jugalbandhi concert

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
tkb

Post by tkb »

Is there any format for Jugalbandhi concerts that is followed in general?

I attended a Jugalbandhi concert at NGS today which featured M. Nandini (Violin) and Purbhayan Chatterjee (Sitar). Ms Nandhini performed carnatic on violin for first 45 mts with Mrudhangam & Tambura artist. Then there was gap of 15 mts after which Sri Purbhayan Chatterjee performed Hindustani on Sitar for 45 mts with Tabla accompaniment.

After another gap of 15 mts the Jugabandhi concept was performed in raagam Charukesi for about 45 mts with all the four artist on stage apart from the artist on Tambura. This was indeed the highlight of the evening. In total it was a good concert but for lack of mike for Mrudhangam left i.e. for Mrudhangam artist bass. This was indeed a handicap for the mrudhangam artist Sri Bangalore Praveenkumar and the Tabla artist gave him the needed support during the Jugalbandhi section.

IMO if the artists had performed one common piece in the beginning followed by two separate segments and concluded by another common session it would have made more interesting. Infact the good turnout of audience started moving out as the intermissions were given and by the time the jugalbandhi concept started it was 9pm and almost 50 - 60% of the audience had left. However that was the most interesting session which i think many would have thought of listening to while they came.

TKB

bhavarasa

Post by bhavarasa »

I think the drupad-khayal has become the de-facto common ground for Jugal-bandis. It's a very slim subset of the Carnatic RTP.

That in itself, IMHO, is sad because it does no justice to two of the three pillars of Carnatic Music, tAlam and bhAvam. All there is left is an in-depth exploration of the rAgam.

I would love to see the RTP itself adopted as the common medium for jugal-bandis. Carnatic instrumentalists, IMHO, step down to the level of the dhrupad/khayAl in a jugal-bandi. Let's see a HM instrumentalist raise their level to perform an RTP or a Dikshitar kriti in chauka kAlam. Now that would be something I'd pay to see them try :-)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It sounds like a format being stifled at birth! How is it a conversation if two people give two separate speeches and then only talk to each other at the end?

I like very much the idea of the RTP as a meeting place, but let us not get into who would have to raise the level! Each "side" would have different strengths in different areas, and part of the challenge would be to allow for each other and to blend, to the satisfaction of the musicians and the audience.

If either participants or audience want to make it a competition of egos, then we may as well watch a boxing match

bhavarasa

Post by bhavarasa »

Point taken but why the khayal/dhrupad as the default medium for jugalbandhi? What specific reason to land on that format in the first place as opposed to the RTP or Varnam?